Options

Failed delivery from postman

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Well people do have jobs it would be nice if couriers took that into account rather than turning up between 9-5 incessantly despite it being perfectly clear that no one will ever be in at that time of day.

If you are taking delivery of something then you should accept you need to make provision to take it.

What time do you want the couriers to work? Perhaps start at 7am and finish at 8am as people may be going to work and then start again at 6pm and stop around 9pm as people may be going to bed at this time.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not uncommon for my postman to not even have the parcel with him, and he just leaves a card to let me know it's at the office. This may be the case.

That's happened to me many a time they leave the card without even trying to deliver the parcel. I've been in the house and look in letterbox and the card is there saying could not deliver its at the sorting office. Most annoying
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Well people do have jobs it would be nice if couriers took that into account rather than turning up between 9-5 incessantly despite it being perfectly clear that no one will ever be in at that time of day.

Well here's a thought "Why not go the shop and buy the goods if you know you won't be in?" No point in ordering online if you know you are not going to be in. Seeing as you seem to know when the delivery person will be delivering, wouldn't it be logical to have someone there to take delivery of the item or as I said earlier go the shop yourself.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I've had the doorbell ring and mad it to the door within 20-30 seconds, only to find a "we called but you were out" card on the doormat. I can only assume that the postie must have pushed it through before ringing the bell, and clearing off quickly enough to be completely out of sight.

That happened to me. The card came through the door then he gave a tiny knock and left! I was livid!
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevirobbo wrote: »
    Well here's a thought "Why not go the shop and buy the goods if you know you won't be in?" No point in ordering online if you know you are not going to be in. Seeing as you seem to know when the delivery person will be delivering, wouldn't it be logical to have someone there to take delivery of the item or as I said earlier go the shop yourself.

Not everything can be bought on the high street, that's why.

You must be a delivery person as I have clearly touched a nerve hence the tetchy response.Who can guarantee they will be in the house 24 hours a day? That is utterly ridiculous. Those of us who work are more likely to be ordering things online as we have more disposable income.

There needs to be some give and take. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that couriers could work outside the hours of 9-5? Online businesses cannot and do not expect people to take a days annual leave every time they order something online to sit at home all day, not to mention it would probably be more like a week as couriers seem to deliver at their leisure, as proven by this thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member

You must be a delivery person as I have clearly touched a nerve hence the tetchy response.Who can guarantee they will be in the house 24 hours a day? That is utterly ridiculous. Those of us who work are more likely to be ordering things online as we have more disposable income.

There needs to be some give and take. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that couriers could work outside the hours of 9-5? Online businesses cannot and do not expect people to take a days annual leave every time they order something online to sit at home all day, not to mention it would probably be more like a week as couriers seem to deliver at their leisure, as proven by this thread!

How and why should everything work around your needs? Couriers have a full time job, just the same as you. As I said, what times do you expect couriers to work if you expect deliveries outside of your working hours? Unless you want a butler cum courier driver who you let out of the cupboard whenever you need their services then you clearly live on a different planet to most rational people.

And before you ask, no, I am not a delivery driver, but I'm not a selfish so and so who thinks the whole world should revolve around them.

If you have more disposable income than the average pleb then you should be shopping at Fortnum & Mason and not looking for the cheapest deal on the internet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member

I never said be in 24/7 I said make sure someone will be there to take delivery "As you seem to know (because you said) the times they deliver" obviously you need to vent about your own inability to grasp "people have a life", these people who deliver your post/parcels want to be home with their families too m8, so why don't you work shifts so "you" can be in, I think you are one cheeky.. to be honest. If you work 9-5 don't expect the whole world to work around your own selfish needs. Don't you think the delivery guy misses his post too while out doing the same job? "So when would the best time for him to get his post then?" (I'm not a postman either) Just a realist so wake up and stop thinking the world revolves around "you".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How and why should everything work around your needs? Couriers have a full time job, just the same as you. As I said, what times do you expect couriers to work if you expect deliveries outside of your working hours? Unless you want a butler cum courier driver who you let out of the cupboard whenever you need their services then you clearly live on a different planet to most rational people.

And before you ask, no, I am not a delivery driver, but I'm not a selfish so and so who thinks the whole world should revolve around them.

If you have more disposable income than the average pleb then you should be shopping at Fortnum & Mason and not looking for the cheapest deal on the internet.

I don't think the world should revolve around me, I think couriers should work perhaps 10-6 rather than 9-5 to accommodate the majority of people who work during the day, much like call centres now operate either from 8am or until 7pm. I really don't see how that is unreasonable, it's just sensible to deliver at a time when more people are likely to be at home.

I don't even know what the last part is about. I don't have more income than the average person, I just said that people who will be out all day ie. the average worker has more income than people who don't have jobs, that is an indisputable fact.
  • Options
    lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The days of everybody working 9-5 died out some decades ago.
    There are plenty of people who work shifts like 6-2 , 2-10 etc .
    So whenever they deliver they will always miss someone but how nice of you to expect everybody to fall into line with your lifestyle.
    Assuming people do work 9-5 a good many will be commuters so they may have spent up to 2 hours travelling to work so that means they won't be home between 7 and 7.
    When exactly do you think deliveries should occur?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think the world should revolve around me, I think couriers should work perhaps 10-6 rather than 9-5 to accommodate the majority of people who work during the day, much like call centres now operate either from 8am or until 7pm. I really don't see how that is unreasonable, it's just sensible to deliver at a time when more people are likely to be at home.

I don't even know what the last part is about. I don't have more income than the average person, I just said that people who will be out all day ie. the average worker has more income than people who don't have jobs, that is an indisputable fact.

So what if they turn up at your house at 1pm when you are in work? Or should they deliver to you at 5.58pm as that is when you get home.

In my experience, couriers often work from 7 till 7, so work harder than you. Who do you think is taking their deliveries?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its hard to see how someone could post the above with a straight face and not realise how blinkered it makes them look.
    You really think working 10-6 to accommodate your working hours would make any difference ?
    You may only be 30 minutes from work but lots of people are much further away .
    Even more than your first post it shows you think they should work hours that revolve entirely around you.

Maybe they could start at 1pm and you could go home for lunch to catch them
    Maybe they could split their working day of 4 hours early in the morning and 4 hours in the evening - that way they can catch people before and after work - but then there's the problem of knowing who's left early or who's not home until late :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevirobbo wrote: »
    I never said be in 24/7 I said make sure someone will be there to take delivery "As you seem to know (because you said) the times they deliver" obviously you need to vent about your own inability to grasp "people have a life", these people who deliver your post/parcels want to be home with their families too m8, so why don't you work shifts so "you" can be in, I think you are one cheeky.. to be honest. If you work 9-5 don't expect the whole world to work around your own selfish needs. Don't you think the delivery guy misses his post too while out doing the same job? "So when would the best time for him to get his post then?" (I'm not a postman either) Just a realist so wake up and stop thinking the world revolves around "you".

Well for a start my office, like other offices, only opens from 9 until 5.30. Couriers are not hindered regarding their working hours in this regard, (I don't include Royal Mail in this) so I don't see why its so unreasonable to suggest that they might work slightly later that the majority of people who have to work during the day

It's certainly no more unreasonable than suggesting no one ever order anything online.

And I can't make sure someone will be home. I live with my partner and we both work.I'm not entirely sure why this offends you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its hard to see how someone could post the above with a straight face and not realise how blinkered it makes them look.
    You really think working 10-6 to accommodate your working hours would make any difference ?
    You may only be 30 minutes from work but lots of people are much further away .
    Even more than your first post it shows you think they should work hours that revolve entirely around you.

Maybe they could start at 1pm and you could go home for lunch to catch them

I was going to say they could work until 7pm but thought that might further offend the people who are enthusiastically defending courier's rights not to work any hours outside 9-5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well for a start my office, like other offices, only opens from 9 until 5.30. Couriers are not hindered regarding their working hours in this regard, (I don't include Royal Mail in this) so I don't see why its so unreasonable to suggest that they might work slightly later that the majority of people who have to work during the day

It's certainly no more unreasonable than suggesting no one ever order anything online.

And I can't make sure someone will be home. I live with my partner and we both work.I'm not entirely sure why this offends you.

So what you are saying is that if they work 10-6, they have to do all 40 of their daily deliveries between 5:45 and 6pm to any person who works normal office hours.

Do you realise how silly you sound with this?

Here's a thought - get your stuff delivered to your office.
    I was going to say they could work until 7pm but thought that might further offend the people who are enthusiastically defending courier's rights not to work any hours outside 9-5.

No, I don't think you do realise how silly you sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what if they turn up at your house at 1pm when you are in work? Or should they deliver to you at 5.58pm as that is when you get home.

In my experience, couriers often work from 7 till 7, so work harder than you. Who do you think is taking their deliveries?

If they turn up at 1pm and I missed them then I can arrange delivery for a time after I get home from work the next day that they are available rather than ringing them to arrange deliver and telling them I work, them telling me they can't deliver my parcel then as they don't work flexible hours and I have to pick it up from some depot 30 miles away which also opens 9-5.

Your second point is just a further example of why couriers should work more flexible hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it offends anyone - its just such a ludicrously outdated view to think that most people work 9-5 and of those that do work 9-5 you seem to think they can all get home before 6pm.

I think its fair to say they would have a similar number of failed deliveries regardless of what hours they work .
    Like lorry drivers I'm sure most couriers ( having been one myself a long time ago) prefer to be able to deliver their cargo and would like to deliver through the night - but would you be ok to answer the door at 2am ?
    Couriers don't want to keep returning to the same addresses.
    Some (like Ipost) now allow for recipients to name safe places to leave items if they're not in . That doesn't mean they always follow instructions though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they turn up at 1pm and I missed them then I can arrange delivery for a time after I get home from work the next day that they are available rather than ringing them to arrange deliver and telling them I work, them telling me they can't deliver my parcel then as they don't work flexible hours and I have to pick it up from some depot 30 miles away which also opens 9-5.

They don't give times, they will deliver the next working day or the date you ask them to and don't offer a bespoke timed service to every person taking a delivery, mainly because it is next to impossible.
    Your second point is just a further example of why couriers should work more flexible hours.

Or an example of perhaps why you should. Again, you simply illustrate selfish tendencies about why everyone should work around you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it offends anyone - its just such a ludicrously outdated view to think that most people work 9-5 and of those that do work 9-5 you seem to think they can all get home before 6pm.

I think its fair to say they would have a similar number of failed deliveries regardless of what hours they work .
    Like lorry drivers I'm sure most couriers ( having been one myself a long time ago) prefer to be able to deliver their cargo and would like to deliver through the night - but would you be ok to answer the door at 2am ?
    Couriers don't want to keep returning to the same addresses.
    Some (like Ipost) now allow for recipients to name safe places to leave items if they're not in . That doesn't mean they always follow instructions though

I know a lot of people do work shifts now, but i'm pretty sure the majority of people still work daytime hours, perhaps not 9-5 exactly but for most of the day anyway. Having flexible hours would help couriers not have to keep returning, it means you could choose a window during the day that you are most likely to be in and they would get the parcel delivered during that time. Its win-win for both parties unless the courier is mortally offended that they might have to start later and work later. Offices, shops etc mainly open during the day though and staff can't choose to work around courier delivery times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I've been coming across references to having orders delivered to local convenience shops such as those corner shops that are open from 7am to 10 pm or later. My local Spar is one of them and it's open until 11pm every day of the week. It's also very handy, being just a few minutes walk away from my house. Has anyone tried this new idea?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No courier depots only open 9-5.
    Most will be open by 7 or 8am and most will be open until 7pm at least .
    They're clearly not going to only open the exact same hours that they can't deliver to your house and expect you to collect.

To be honest , if I had a restricted hours job I would ensure the delivery method allowed for perhaps delivering to my work , to a neighbour , leaving in a safe place or I wouldn't order the item - specially if it meant travelling to a depot.
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't people in the UK get phone calls from some courier companies informing them of incoming deliveries? Even they tell you what time to expect the parcel/package to arrive at your address as well. If you are unable to get the parcel/package on a particular time/day, the courier company provides alternative options on what day & what time will suit you.

I always get the above from 2 well-known courier companies as I work at home. The service I get from them is very good as I've never encountered any problem with them yet.

But it's different with a public postal company like AnPost in Ireland where I live, they don't do the services as stated above. Of course like Royal Mail, there have been times of hit or miss with AnPost in my case. When I often find a calling card from AnPost stating a missed delivery, I have to drive & pick the item from the post depot 3 miles away. It makes me wonder why can't the public postal companies offer the service like the courier companies do?

After all, these public postal companies know that they are funded by us, the taxpayers, to provide the services we expect from them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cathye143 wrote: »
    I've been coming across references to having orders delivered to local convenience shops such as those corner shops that are open from 7am to 10 pm or later. My local Spar is one of them and it's open until 11pm every day of the week. It's also very handy, being just a few minutes walk away from my house. Has anyone tried this new idea?

That's Collect + . It is a useful idea and I use it frequently when I send items as I don't need to waste time at the Post Office ( and its often cheaper too).
    But if you are receiving items it depends on being able to convince the sender to use the Collect+ service and I've found that while we have over a dozen Collect+ drop points within a few miles my friend in another town only has 1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't give times, they will deliver the next working day or the date you ask them to and don't offer a bespoke timed service to every person taking a delivery, mainly because it is next to impossible.

Or an example of perhaps why you should. Again, you simply illustrate selfish tendencies about why everyone should work around you.

As I have said, I can't, and nor can the other many other people who work for big companies in offices and shops. I would love to work flexi time.

I am not being selfish, I am saying delivery should be arranged around when people can take the delivery. It makes perfect sense. The current system isn't customer orientated at all which is why so many people have complaints about courier services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a lot of people do work shifts now, but i'm pretty sure the majority of people still work daytime hours, perhaps not 9-5 exactly but for most of the day anyway. Having flexible hours would help couriers not have to keep returning, it means you could choose a window during the day that you are most likely to be in and they would get the parcel delivered during that time. Its win-win for both parties unless the courier is mortally offended that they might have to start later and work later. Offices, shops etc mainly open during the day though and staff can't choose to work around courier delivery times.
    Couriers have dozens of items to do during the day.
    Enabling customers to choose a window could mean them travelling back and forth for literally hundreds of extra miles.
    DPD are useful in that after 9pm the preceding evening you can access an online timetable that gives you a 2 hour delivery window .
    If you really need a precise window then you need to use more expensive services .
    Royal Mail and I belive DHL ( and probably others) all offer a guaranteed before 9am ( and a saturday option too) but predictably using these services is very expensive compared to the regular services
    Flanno wrote: »
    Don't people in the UK get phone calls from some courier companies informing them of incoming deliveries?
    DPD do
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    Don't people in the UK get phone calls from some courier companies informing them of incoming deliveries? Even they tell you what time to expect the parcel/package to arrive at your address as well. If you are unable to get the parcel/package on a particular time/day, the courier company provides alternative options on what day & what time will suit you..

That is a good example of the kind of service I think courier companies in the UK should offer, but others here are telling me its selfish to expect good service, it's impossible and you shouldn't order online if you want your goods delivered at a time that suits.

The worst companies we have are Yodel and Hermes, who fairly often turn up a week and a half after your parcel was supposed to be delivered, leave a "sorry we missed you" card even if you were in, and leave your parcel thrown over the neighbours hedge.