Formula E in talks with BT Sport and Sky Sports

1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
Forum Member
✭✭✭
  • Fox has coverage in parts of Europe, Far East, Latin America, Australia and Canada.
  • UK deal unlikely to be done deal until drivers are announced in early 2014.
  • Aiming to sell free-to-air rights "Free-to-air would be great: BBC or ITV." said its chief executive Alejandro Agag

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/10504225/BT-Sport-and-BSkyB-in-pole-position-for-rights-to-electric-racing-series.html

Comments

• ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    • Fox has coverage in parts of Europe, Far East, Latin America, Australia and Canada.
    • Aiming to sell free-to-air rights "Free-to-air would be great: BBC or ITV." said its chief executive Alejandro Agag

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/10504225/BT-Sport-and-BSkyB-in-pole-position-for-rights-to-electric-racing-series.html

Bernie would almost certainly not allow a channel showing F1 to show this.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »

C4 maybe...
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be good if ITV4 got it. Would hope they would give it the treatment that they do the BTCC rather than the pathetic WRC coverage they had this year though.
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,728
    Forum Member
    Would be good if ITV4 got it. Would hope they would give it the treatment that they do the BTCC rather than the pathetic WRC coverage they had this year though.

What was wrong with their WRC coverage? I think the hour-long official highlights show FTA a couple of days after the event is pretty good considering the dreadful state the sport is in at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    What was wrong with their WRC coverage? I think the hour-long official highlights show FTA a couple of days after the event is pretty good considering the dreadful state the sport is in at the moment.

The program itself were fine (it isn't an ITV production I believe(?)), but it was the scheduling that let it down.
    When it was shown on Dave it was always shown on the same day at the same time each time, meaning it was easy to remember, but ITV seemed to never have a set time or day for the coverage.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 should pick up the rights with the hope that F1 in a few years goes behind a paywall and folks will be looking for something to fill the void.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Why not? It's not as if they're going to clash...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The program itself were fine (it isn't an ITV production I believe(?)), but it was the scheduling that let it down.
    When it was shown on Dave it was always shown on the same day at the same time each time, meaning it was easy to remember, but ITV seemed to never have a set time or day for the coverage.

It was signed very late - in fact not until two events had already taken place - so consistent scheduling was never going to be possible.

For the most part, it was on Tuesday evenings except in BSB weeks when it was on Wednesdays.

The ratings never really changed, so the audience was finding it whatever slot it was in, as is usually the case for niche sports.

If ITV manages to retain it next season, I'd expect it to be at the same time every week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope someone takes it, I'm interesting in giving it a watch.

Is it 'big' enough for BT Sports though?
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a good fit for BT Sport and ITV. Each can argue that they would be able to focus on it in a way that Sky Sports and the BBC can't due to their F1 programming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise_ wrote: »
    I hope someone takes it, I'm interesting in giving it a watch.

Is it 'big' enough for BT Sport though?

I guess it's too early to tell but the articles I've read like this one seem quite positive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this bit
    As the batteries can only power the cars for around 25 minutes the drivers will need to change cars to finish the second half of the race. “The TV people we are talking to absolutely love it. One hour races and they love the pit stop concept because the drivers are going to run. Everybody will have the same distance between their car and the other car. This running, the TV people love it. You can actually have overtaking here.”

Stupid if true what if a driver falls over. Could be funny though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was signed very late - in fact not until two events had already taken place - so consistent scheduling was never going to be possible.

For the most part, it was on Tuesday evenings except in BSB weeks when it was on Wednesdays.

The ratings never really changed, so the audience was finding it whatever slot it was in, as is usually the case for niche sports.

If ITV manages to retain it next season, I'd expect it to be at the same time every week.

It was me just being blind then. :blush:
  • Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Why not? It's not as if they're going to clash...

Formula E races are going to be run in the F1 off season
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Formula E races are going to be run in the F1 off season

Looking at the calendar for Formula E, no it's not. Starts in September 2014 and runs through to June 2015. Actually looking at previous race dates The Monaco Formula E race might just clash with the Spanish GP, but we'll know for sure next year. There will be two mandatory pit stops to change cars, a push to pass system and all races streamed online according to the official website.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Like Bernie can tell Sky they cannot bid for the rights and screen the races.
    he might like to think he can, him & his ego, but he can't!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »

They probably have a clause in their existing contract with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, it's not about ego it's about money! It would not be in Formula 1's interests for a channel to cross-promote E1 to its viewers and perhaps transfer some of its resources there too.
    There is clearly a conflict of interest in one channel showing both sports especially as E1 is not yet established. They may not show matches on the same days but presumably they will eventually both be competing for the same sponsors and drivers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The closest thing he'll have to it is a clause that states they can't use the F1 brand in the channel name if they show a non-FOM sport on the channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loanardo DiCaprio is joining the party and launching a team.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25300016

It therefore does seem strange that broadcast rights in many countries have been sold but are unlikely to be agreed in the UK until next year. Maybe it's because the UK is a hosting nation and participating nation and therefore the rights will be more valuable?
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the betting that this new motor racing series ends up going the same way as the A1 Grand Prix?