JSA Dispute

AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
Forum Member
Okay, so this morning I went for my regular sign on. I'll bullet point what I need to say to save this from being a massive wall of text (it'll probably end up as such anyway).

- I'm currently in a process of moving property and with a sizeable distance it's taking me a while to afford to move everything in. I've been having to travel from Colchester to Bromley in SE London every fortnight to sign on as I'm not yet legally allowed to transfer to my eventually-local branch in Colchester. I was about five minutes late to my appointment today as my train got held at a signal, but then they do insist on giving me a 9:30 appointment when they know I have over 90 minutes of travel and it costs me a fortune as well travelling at peak time through the city.

- After a stern word from my "regular adviser" I handed over my paper job search to him. It was copied over from Universal Jobmatch. I have only been able to access the abominable service for just over a day now, as my last account and my details were compromised and I had to wait for the technicians to close the account - it took them nine weeks, but I digress...it's only my personal information.

- My adviser took issue with the fact that there "wasn't enough" listed to warrant a fortnight job search, and as he had raised this issue with me before he had to raise a doubt. He also disapproved of the fact I refused to share my UJM account with the Job Centre but not only is that my legal right, I think it's more than acceptable given that my last account was compromised and they took over two months to sort it.
All of this has subsequently stopped my income with immediate effect and all I have left is about £100 of savings.

The interesting bit? He's never raised this issue with me before, despite stating that he has. In fact as a "regular adviser" it's a bit peculiar that this was in fact the first time I'd seen him since late November! I've always been directed to see someone else, and we've had no affiliation in months. If my job search isn't enough, that's one thing. But he used the fact that it was a "continued issue" and the fact I was late to raise this doubt.

- I would more that happily accept it if my job search wasn't explicit enough... but of the twelve things I listed for the past fortnight there were seven applications, a job interview and a second-stage job interview.
In the few months I haven't been able to access UJM I have been writing up a job search, as everyone always used to have to do - listing at least six examples of your active jobsearch. I never did less than eight myself, but I have not been made aware that a paper-copy job search actually required any more than this now. None of the advisers I've seen in recent weeks have raised issue with my jobsearch before though they've all looked over it. This situation arose completely out of the blue, and has left me broke out of the blue as well.

- I think this adviser has made a mistake, and although the doubt has been raised and might not go anywhere it at best leaves me without money next week (I've just paid end-of-the-month bills so have nothing to spare) and worst results in me getting sanctioned.

I'm tearing my hair out at what to do. I want to make a complaint against this guy... he's fabricated this idea we've talked about this issue before when we haven't in the slightest and there are several other advisers who could probably back up the claim that they recognise me from recent visits (with my move to Colchester, most of them have been inquisitive and have asked a fair few questions to make me a relatively distinctive claimant). Is there anyone I can raise this issue with, or anything I can do?

As I said, if I need to make my jobsearch more explicit then that's fine... but I've not had so much as a warning that this was needed nor do I have any doubt that the level of job-searching I do could be more explicitly detailed...I would just appreciate some more transparent, honest communication from them about it...rather than punishing me for the whole thing.