Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    I hear a lot about Wagon Wheels having gotten smaller too... must seek some of those out (obviously with a magnifying glass!)

I do admire people who take TV and comments upon programmes and related trivia, no more seriously than do I.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seemed shorter than 8 episodes, have to catch up with last week's episode on iplayer.

Quite a different crime drama now on in Shetland!!
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed shorter than 8 episodes, have to catch up with last week's episode on iplayer.

Quite a different crime drama now on in Shetland!!

Today is the last day to watch Death In Paradise on iPlayer. Think it's gone now.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes trying to watch it now
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah! You wait until next year, this could be "skillfully written in" or saved until a later series, as in Castle. Or not at all, who knows?

It may be "skillfully written" but I'd guess that the "chemistry" you see between fictional characters is very hard to act, and some pairings seem to have it and others don't. One of the best possible ones I can think of is Carl and Chas in Emmerdale, the actors both seem to work very well together.

Who knows maybe there is a small element of them actually fancying each other that helps towards the acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    It may be "skillfully written" but I'd guess that the "chemistry" you see between fictional characters is very hard to act, and some pairings seem to have it and others don't. One of the best possible ones I can think of is Carl and Chas in Emmerdale, the actors both seem to work very well together.

Who knows maybe there is a small element of them actually fancying each other that helps towards the acting.

Err..

I was taking the piss a bit out of the programme, did my post really need a smiley?

I think you're writing off the ability of a lot of actors. It's just a job, many can "fake" emotion.
    But then there's personal perception. It's easy to make subject judgements of what you see on the screen, influenced by your own emotions, or your personal affection for particular actors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hope that actors can "act" emotions, but even given that, some actors hit it off as a "couple" and others just dont
  • nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8 episodes of DIP is just right, I know many people keep their recording on a hard drive but in the end they fill up and programs have to be deleted, as I have said before 8 episodes of DIP recorded in HD fill up 97% of a 25GB blu ray disc which is perfect. The BBC DVDs of DIP are renowned for their awful quality.
  • Phebes4361Phebes4361 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I loved this series, much better with this actor then Ben. very Columbo with a Poirot ending
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    nic6 wrote: »
    8 episodes of DIP is just right, I know many people keep their recording on a hard drive but in the end they fill up and programs have to be deleted, as I have said before 8 episodes of DIP recorded in HD fill up 97% of a 25GB blu ray disc which is perfect. The BBC DVDs of DIP are renowned for their awful quality.

Oh god aren't they.... >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth watching again till we get a new series.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on Guadeloupe a couple of weeks ago on a stop off on a cruise. I was surprised how good the roads were compared to other islands and we dont see these in DIP. We did go through a place called Saint Marie where it seems the series is filmed. Ive got the last few episodes to watch so it will be interesting to see if I can recognise any if it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    I was on Guadeloupe a couple of weeks ago on a stop off on a cruise. I was surprised how good the roads were compared to other islands and we dont see these in DIP. We did go through a place called Saint Marie where it seems the series is filmed. Ive got the last few episodes to watch so it will be interesting to see if I can recognise any if it.

I would imagine the director avoided filming anything that looked a bit "modern."
    Part of the appeal is how quaint everything appears.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine the director avoided filming anything that looked a bit "modern."
    Part of the appeal is how quaint everything appears.

Yes you are so right. Its a pretty island but the roads are better than ours - probably paid for by the EU. The capital has high rise buildings and is quite industrial so that would kill the mood.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It is the same as Mars bars not being as big as once they were.

Congratulations. You have discovered the concept of Mars Bar economics.
    Here's an interesting article to feed your curiosity. Warning: may contain long words and abstract ideas (it is the FT, after all)
    Forum Member
    I do admire people who take TV and comments upon programmes and related trivia, no more seriously than do I.

Thank you ... I think ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Thank you ... I think ;-)

No problems.

It just amuses me, that so many people on here are obviously "a very close relative of someone on the telly" and take immediate personal offence to even the slightest criticism "on behalf" of their loved one and others throw teddy out of the cot if your opinion doesn't concur with theirs, particularly if you are slightly taking the p*** out of a programme they love.
    It bothers me not in the slightest, if someone has a different opinion of, "just a telly programme," why should it?

But that's DS for you and it would be a lesser place for entertainment without them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phebes4361 wrote: »
    I loved this series, much better with this actor then Ben. very Columbo with a Poirot ending

I prefer BM's acting to KM, however KM is better here than in those awful tb adverts.

They've always had the get together at the end so nothing new there?
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised to have to admit that I preferred KM to BM. I think I was tired of the suit and briefcase. It seems to me he should have moved on a bit more than he did and it wasn't helped by other half and older daughter having discussions about what sort of sandwiches were in the brief case.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised to have to admit that I preferred KM to BM. I think I was tired of the suit and briefcase. It seems to me he should have moved on a bit more than he did and it wasn't helped by other half and older daughter having discussions about what sort of sandwiches were in the brief case.

It surprised the hell out of me (and the OH) too, especially after I moaned on here that KM would be the end of the show:blush:.

I find the characters approach more laid back and fun to watch, although the last episode shouldn't have had the "love" reveal, but I understand why they did that....
  • HissyMissyHissyMissy Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    It surprised the hell out of me (and the OH) too, especially after I moaned on here that KM would be the end of the show:blush:.

I find the characters approach more laid back and fun to watch, although the last episode shouldn't have had the "love" reveal, but I understand why they did that....

I agree, being one of those people who wasn't looking forward to seeing KM ( I think it was because of those awful BT ads) But glad to say he has proven me wrong. I've really enjoyed him and this series. I have bought all 3 DiP DVD's. I'm currently watching series 3 again as I think that Humph is so adorable, and I'm missing it on Tuesday evenings! I'm also looking forward to revisiting the first 2 series.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

HissyMissy wrote: »
    I agree, being one of those people who wasn't looking forward to seeing KM ( I think it was because of those awful BT ads) But glad to say he has proven me wrong. I've really enjoyed him and this series. I have bought all 3 DiP DVD's. I'm currently watching series 3 again as I think that Humph is so adorable, and I'm missing it on Tuesday evenings! I'm also looking forward to revisiting the first 2 series.

Humphrey's laidback attitude suits the island and the team feel more like his friends than just work colleagues. That helps differentiate him from Richard and also makes him come across as likeable too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a surprise to me as well, as I loved Ben Miller as a actor, and not really taken to the Kris Marshall after his 'My Family' role, but I stand corrected and think now he acting this part just right, can't wait for the new series.
    Forum Member

Is the third DVD out already?
    [/gets ready to plan birthday money splurge and delete eppies off Sky Plus box]
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wont buy series 3 yet, will wait till its gone down in price a bit, I do begrudge paying out near £13 for it. Nearer the time of the next series will have a DiP weekend with the OH, joy will be unbounded.....