Getting first adult passport

AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
Forum Member
I'm currently applying for my first adult passport and I'm a bit stuck in regards to the question on the gov.uk application form asking me which kind of passport is needed.

A few facts:
- I have held a child's passport before, though this expired in 2011.
- I have never held an adult passport.
- I changed my surname by deed poll at the start of this year.

There are two options in the 'passport needed' section which I cannot choose between.
- Renewal: Select this option if you already have an existing, undamaged British passport, and your name and British national status have not changed.
- Changing an existing passport: Select this option if you have changed your name, photo or if there is a change to your British national status.

I'm likely just being very dim, and I'm drawn to the second option but does this option apply when the passport I currently hold has already expired and the name change has occurred outside of me holding a valid passport? I 'm just a bit thrown as it doesn't seem to indicate either way, and I was also confused by the lack of reference to upgrading from a child to adult passport too. Just want to make sure I get this all right the first time so I thought it best to ask somewhere where I might come across someone slightly knowledgeable. :p Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes best to ask somewhere, but best to ask the passport office
    0300 222 0000
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be the renewal (option 1) because you have changed your name so that only leaves option 2.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would go for renewal - I think the second option is where you wish to amend a passport during its period of validity because you've changed name etc.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I would go for renewal - I think the second option is where you wish to amend a passport during its period of validity because you've changed name etc.

It can't be renewal the OP has changed their name by deed poll.

Renewal: Select this option if you already have an existing, undamaged British passport, and your name and British national status have not changed.

The OP's name has changed, so not a renewal.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can renew an expired passport even after several years. But OP has changed their name so I can't see how they can choose the renewal option when it explicitly states that the name has not changed.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »

i would go for actually speaking to the passport office rather than guessing.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Phoned up today and though he seemed a bit unsure he says to just go for a Renewal and include my Deed Poll document. The questions seemed to permit that too so hopefully it's all gone okay :)

Thanks everyone.