COM8 running - has PIDs

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder when they will show something other than a lamp post with bird $*#! and concentric circles/test pattern?
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I wonder when they will show something other than a lamp post with bird $*#! and concentric circles/test pattern?

The three World Cup games that are being trialled in UHD are from the Estádio do Maracanã - the first is on Saturday, then there's a quarter final on 4th July and the final on 13th.

The concentric circles pattern has now got black bands at top and bottom of each quadrant. It's strange- almost like they've taken a HD resolution image and replicated it 4 times - a bit like a side by side 3D image, but with up and down images as well!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Brilliant. I've manged to install a recent ffmpeg and can replicate the ffprobe and ffmpeg -benchmark results - though I only see 10fps on a slower pc than yours.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Mind you, I have had two Es and a gallon of scrumpy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The three World Cup games that are being trialled in UHD are from the Estádio do Maracanã - the first is on Saturday, then there's a quarter final on 4th July and the final on 13th.

The concentric circles pattern has now got black bands at top and bottom of each quadrant. It's strange- almost like they've taken a HD resolution image and replicated it 4 times - a bit like a side by side 3D image, but with up and down images as well!

I Thought it was like 4 HD images when I saw that capture!
    I was kind of thinking other than the actual games will there be anything else?
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think quite a lot of the satellite 4k tests were/are literally 4 HD pics stitched together in this way.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a 4K channel on 30 West on 10.730 I think it is.

The one on 10 Eat is 4xMPEG4 pictures one corner each with the same audio PId. That is cheating in a way. I would call that "Pseudo UHD" but when it was set up it was probably the only way they could do it so fair enough.

As for the COM8 test, any changes here or is it still a static test card with 1kHz tone?

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    There is a 4K channel on 30 West on 10.730 I think it is.

The one on 10 Eat is 4xMPEG4 pictures one corner each with the same audio PId. That is cheating in a way. I would call that "Pseudo UHD" but when it was set up it was probably the only way they could do it so fair enough.

As for the COM8 test, any changes here or is it still a static test card with 1kHz tone?

Thanks.

SES Astra have a demo UHD channel at 19.2 - see http://www.ses.com/15011813/ses-demo-channel, bit off topic for here though.

Image this morning is http://imgbox.com/Z7zjUemI - video bitrates have taken a big drop yesterday afternoon - see http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=9&lang=en&mux=COM8 - I'm seeing approx 4700kbit/s here at the moment. I guess that test pattern doesn't need so much bandwidth. Maybe it will remain and the football will appear with new video/audio PIDs - would explain "Test" and "Test.".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's now some football on (I guess it is something they recorded) - sample image at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10614261/frame3.png - bitrate for pid 101 here in Granadaland is back around 30000kbit/s, though strangely http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=9&lang=en&mux=COM8 isn't showing that in London.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything on now? Is it this football match that is on - Brazil v Chile? Is there a clock on screen and commentary?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Anything on now? Is it this football match that is on - Brazil v Chile? Is there a clock on screen and commentary?

No, the UHD games are coming from the Estádio do Maracanã. Stream now showing the view out of the London window loop. The test game is Colombia v Uruguay from 9pm BST.
    The football they were playing out yesterday was France v Ecuador also recorded at the Maracanã - but not live.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's now some football on (I guess it is something they recorded) - sample image at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10614261/frame3.png - bitrate for pid 101 here in Granadaland is back around 30000kbit/s, though strangely http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=9&lang=en&mux=COM8 isn't showing that in London.
    The best bit is that fast-moving parts are much more nicely defined. This is probably due to the fact that it's progressive rather than interlaced, rather than the resolution increase.

What software are people using to get captures? MediaPortal seemingly can't handle the streams.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    The best bit is that fast-moving parts are much more nicely defined. This is probably due to the fact that it's progressive rather than interlaced, rather than the resolution increase.

What software are people using to get captures? MediaPortal seemingly can't handle the streams.

The football stream is up now - here's a frame: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10614261/frame4.png .

I'm able to capture the mux with dvbsnoop, and extract frames using a very recent build of ffmpeg. Neither ffplay nor VLC can play the HEVC stream very well- you tend to get a frame or two then the video freezes - it's definitely all a bit experimental right now!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    That is one of the most impressive first posts I have seen - brilliant.

I guess it is impressive because 99.9% of the general population won't have a clue what it is about.

All I need to know about COM8.

When will it officially start transmitting.

Will I get it from Sandy Heath (eventually).

If so, what channels am I likely to receive.

Will my existing equipment be able to receive said channels. I suspect not, so I'll have to upgrade some equipment yet again.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    All I need to know about COM8.

When will it officially start transmitting.

Nobody knows (well, nobody who knows is telling). Certainly not until after the Commonwealth Games, as the UHD tests have been extended to include those.
    Will I get it from Sandy Heath (eventually).

Yes, from launch.
    If so, what channels am I likely to receive.

See the answer to your first question.
    Will my existing equipment be able to receive said channels. I suspect not, so I'll have to upgrade some equipment yet again.

If you can get the current HD channels (including BBC4 HD), then you will get anything on COM8. It uses exactly the same standards, and is (will be) transmitting at exactly the same ERP as COM7 (where BBC4 HD and the subsequently numbered HD channels are).

You won't get UHD channels on COM8 - the current ones are just tests.
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    Nobody knows (well, nobody who knows is telling). Certainly not until after the Commonwealth Games, as the UHD tests have been extended to include those.

Yes, from launch.

See the answer to your first question.

If you can get the current HD channels (including BBC4 HD), then you will get anything on COM8. It uses exactly the same standards, and is (will be) transmitting at exactly the same ERP as COM7 (where BBC4 HD and the subsequently numbered HD channels are).

You won't get UHD channels on COM8 - the current ones are just tests.

Ah right. Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The football stream is up now - here's a frame: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10614261/frame4.png .

I'm able to capture the mux with dvbsnoop, and extract frames using a very recent build of ffmpeg. Neither ffplay nor VLC can play the HEVC stream very well- you tend to get a frame or two then the video freezes - it's definitely all a bit experimental right now!
    Is it not possible to just capture the stream as a TS file and then play it using MPC-HC or whatever?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Is it not possible to just capture the stream as a TS file and then play it using MPC-HC or whatever?
    I captured about 7.8GiB overall, just tried a TS onto MPC-HC v1.7.5 and it does display video. Was able to transcode with ffmpeg a small clip to H264 but the bitrate was too low.
    Forum Member
    Ah right. Thank you.

Forgot to add. I get all the channels on COM7, but only in standard definition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgot to add. I get all the channels on COM7, but only in standard definition.

So I take it your TV is SD then? else you could just use a HDMI cable from you box to your TV and get all HD channels in HD.
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    So I take it your TV is SD then? else you could just use a HDMI cable from you box to your TV and get all HD channels in HD.

My TV is a 23 year old CRT. :o It's got a SCART socket and a mono speaker. :blush:

I've got an ancient stereo amplifier, which I think is not working (well, either that or the speakers), along with some other vinyl playing hi-fi, which I never use. I used to have the amplifier connected up to the set top box.

So, I'll just wait until the current TV dies and get a modern flat screen TV. CRT TVs are essentially landfill these days.

And most of my other hi-fi equipment is so old, I doubt it has much resale value. It would have to be collected, as the postage costs alone would absorb most of any re-sale price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My TV is a 23 year old CRT. :o It's got a SCART socket and a mono speaker. :blush:

I've got an ancient stereo amplifier, which I think is not working (well, either that or the speakers), along with some other vinyl playing hi-fi, which I never use. I used to have the amplifier connected up to the set top box.

So, I'll just wait until the current TV dies and get a modern flat screen TV. CRT TVs are essentially landfill these days.

And most of my other hi-fi equipment is so old, I doubt it has much resale value. It would have to be collected, as the postage costs alone would absorb most of any re-sale price.

I see well Im glad you saw the merits in getting a Freeview HD box even though you dont have a HD TV, many people wouldnt, but you could well end up missing out in the future without a receiver that can receive HD!
  • abwabw Posts: 157
    Forum Member

Whatever channels come to COM8, they are unlikely to be channels that are not already available in SD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Care to share your DVBSnoop command line?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Capturing the transport stream to a file with dvbsnoop is what I was already doing. I've now tried MPC-HC (sadly windows-only) and it does the best job I've seen so far- which is slightly odd since I believe it also uses ffmpeg for its H265/HEVC support.

As for jra's 23 year old TV- Freeview HD can still look very good via RGB scart on a CRT - yes, it's not actually HD, but it's about the best quality SD you'll ever get - none of the Freeview SD artefacts will be there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capturing the transport stream to a file with dvbsnoop is what I was already doing. I've now tried MPC-HC (sadly windows-only) and it does the best job I've seen so far- which is slightly odd since I believe it also uses ffmpeg for its H265/HEVC support.

As for jra's 23 year old TV- Freeview HD can still look very good via RGB scart on a CRT - yes, it's not actually HD, but it's about the best quality SD you'll ever get - none of the Freeview SD artefacts will be there.

Thats very true!