Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK
    BBC2's audience share rose to 11% yesterday, around double it's normal figure, thanks to 10 hours of #Wimbledon averaging 1.85m/15.3%.

Could be the rating of the day above. Very impressive share across such a long broadcast for a channel that typically averages about 6%.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Plus Corri got lucky yestaday and both the football and tennis finished before it started. Am guessing if they where on whilst Corri was on, Corri could have been lower.

Corrie aired at 7pm so it's not that surprising.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    To be fair they did luck out with the tennis being wrapped up just before and ET being avoided in the football which at one stage looked unlikely.

So I do feel it should have done better even though it was out of slot. If even one of the above things had gone against them, Corrie would have been the 2nd most watched soap yesterday.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    To be fair they did luck out with the tennis being wrapped up just before and ET being avoided in the football which at one stage looked unlikely.

So I do feel it should have done better even though it was out of slot. If even one of the above things had gone against them, Corrie would have been the 2nd most watched soap yesterday.

That's true enough but I don't think many viewers are really willing to follow the soaps all around the schedules when all of these sporting events are going on. It pretty much ended up with Emmerdale's audience. I imagine the second half dragged it up significantly.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It also doesn't help that Corrie is very weak in storylines. There is basically filler with a few irritating characters thrown in. Frankly EE deserves to be top soap for a bit to get ITV bosses into action.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xeo wrote: »

It was on for an hour though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It also doesn't help that Corrie is very weak in storylines. There is basically filler with a few irritating characters thrown in. Frankly EE deserves to be top soap for a bit to get ITV bosses into action.
    Isn't who's sleeping with who a bit of a recurring theme at the moment ? As someone else on here pointed out I wouldn't be surprised if infidelity in the real world is on the increase when some of our most watched dramas present it as such a common occurrence.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Al Jazera get a ratings boost last night? ;-)

Happen as well Algeria went out. Hoddle might have referred to them as Al Qaeda next time!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus Corri got lucky yestaday and both the football and tennis finished before it started. Am guessing if they where on whilst Corri was on, Corri could have been lower.

Corrie starting at 7pm dented its rating. Still was top soap of the night. EastEnders was casted the last few weeks with early starts and soap clashes. Away from that it did well. BBC schedulers are utterly clueless!
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed DS has put EE ahead of Corri.

EastEnders tops Monday's soap ratings with 6.2m
    By Daniel Kilkelly
    Tuesday, Jul 1 2014, 10:05 BST

EastEnders edged ahead of Coronation Street in the soap ratings on Monday evening (June 30), overnight figures show.

The Walford drama pulled in 6.2m (29.3%) at 8pm on BBC One - its best rating in three weeks - as Alfie and Tamwar discovered Aleks's secret. BBC Three's repeat screening secured 270k (1.5%) at 10.30pm.

Airing at the earlier time of 7pm, Coronation Street brought 6.15m (31.0%) to ITV and 205k (1.0%) to ITV+1 as David and Kylie continued to clash with Michael Rodwell in an hour-long episode.

Holby City attracted 3.66m (16.2%) at 8.30pm on BBC One as Raf demanded a paternity test.

Hollyoaks interested 814k (4.3%) at 6.30pm on Channel 4 as Cindy continued to see visions of 'Rhys', while E4's first look followed with 635k (3.2%) at 7pm and 106k (0.5%) on +1.

Over on Channel 5, Neighbours entertained 582k (9.0%) at 1.45pm and 659k (4.6%) at 5.30pm, while Home and Away managed 210k (3.1%) at 1.15pm, 555k (3.3%) at 6pm and 285k (1.5%) for 5*'s first look at 6.30pm.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5's Most Watched Programmes of 2014 (UPDATED)

1. Celebrity Big Brother - Friday, January 3, 21:00 - 3.78M
    2. Benefits Britain: Life on the Dole - Monday, June 16, 21:00 - 2.84M [highlight]*NEW ENTRY*[/HIGHLIGHT]
    3. The Big Benefits Row: Live - Monday, February 3, 21:00 - 2.58M
    4. Big Brother - Thursday, June 5, 21:00 - 2.52M
    5. Autopsy: Whitney Houston's Last Hours - Tuesday, January 14, 22:00 - 2.46M
    6. Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! - Monday, March 3, 21:00 - 2.35M
    7. Gypsies On Benefits & Proud - Friday, April 11, 21:00 - 2.14M
    8. She's 78 He's 39: Age Gap Love - Tuesday, February 4, 21:00 - 2.11M
    9. The Mentalist - Tuesday, April 22, 21:00 - 2.07M
    10. NCIS - Wednesday, February 5, 21:00 - 2.01M
    11. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Tuesday, June 10, 21:00 - 1.99M
    12. The Hotel Inspector - Thursday, February 20, 21:00 - 1.98M
    13. FILM: Grown Ups (2010) - Sunday. April 13, 22:05 - 1.94M
    14. The Nightmare Neighbour Next Door - Tuesday, April 15, 20:00 - 1.92M
    15. Helix - Monday, January 20, 22:00 - 1.85M

*includes HD and +1 viewing but excludes +24
    *film ratings do not cover entire film when 5 News is scheduled during as is mostly the case

www.barb.co.uk
    www.channel5.com

Some might think it's a bit early for these but we're halfway through the year now. A reminder above of just how strong a period it's been for factual entertainment on C5. Not as strong as usual though in terms of drama with the solid performing US imports tightly clustered together and no real standout amongst them.

Ahh Channel 5 the Daily Express of TV, obsessed with Benefits and bashing scroungers otherwise known as poor people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Ahh Channel 5 the Daily Express of TV, obsessed with Benefits and bashing scroungers otherwise known as poor people.
    I'm sorry, but is there a ratings related point you wanted to make ?

Three of the top 15 were benefits related programmes, two of which were one-offs and not series. Hardly dominating the channel.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Both soaps ran to time so Overnights.tv must be adding in +1 there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Off topic but Richard Bacon is leaving 5 Live. YAY, I can listen to the TV segment now. :D

Also leaving Victoria Derbyshire who has been linked with a move to itv. Doing what, I'm not sure, but she described it as an opportunity "too good to turn down."

Adrian Chiles is taking over Derbyshire's slot. Saw that one coming.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/bbc-radio-5-live-richard-bacon-leave-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jan - 7.33m (31.8%)
    Feb - 7.26m (31.8%)
    Mar - 6.86m (31.4%)
    Apr - 6.97m (33.3%)
    May - 6.52m (31.9%)
    Jun - 5.45m (28.1%)
    * W/O Emm & Corrie clash - 5.82m (30.4%)

Jan - 8.33m (34.2%)
    Feb - 7.51m (31.8%)
    Mar - 7.40m (31.5%)
    Apr - 7.08m (31.9%)
    May - 6.23m (29.8%)
    Jun - 6.50m (32.3%)
    * W/O Emm clash - 6.60m (32.7%)
    Jul - 5.94m (31.2%)
    Aug - 6.20m (31.5%)
    Sep - 6.72m (31.8%)
    Oct - 6.50m (29.8%)
    Nov - 7.45m (33.0%)
    Dec - 6.84m (30.0%)

Previous June average overnights
    2014 - 5.45m (28.1%)
    2013 - 6.50m (32.3%)
    2012 - 6.88m (31.5%)
    2011 - 7.48m (35.1%)
    2010 - 6.49m (31.0%)
    2009 - 6.97m (35.1%)

Last EE overnight ratings update

Last EE Iplayer update

Without doubt this has been a very tough month for Eastenders, with episodes airing out of slot, last minute scheduling changes, soap clashes and football coming at it from all directions. There have been 5 clashes in total with Emmerdale/Corrie this June, compared with just 1 Emmerdale clash last June. I suspect we have just witnessed Eastenders' lowest ever monthly average, I can't find any other month even having gotten close to it in the last few years. It's also seen a near record episode low with a 3.97m recorded for June 13th. On a brighter note, Eastenders started June 2014 on a high, recording an overnight rating of 7.37m on Monday June 2nd, which was its best summer rating since 2012. (In fact it was higher than any overnight rating between May-Oct during 2013).
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but is there a ratings related point you wanted to make ?

Three of the top 15 were benefits related programmes, two of which were one-offs and not series. Hardly dominating the channel.

20% of the top 15 is quite a lot I would say and the 3rd one is a series.

Bet they would love to lots of Medical scare stories as well if Ofcom would let them.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic but Richard Bacon is leaving 5 Live. YAY, I can listen to the TV segment now. :D

Also leaving Victoria Derbyshire who has been linked with a move to itv. Doing what, I'm not sure, but she described it as an opportunity "too good to turn down."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/bbc-radio-5-live-richard-bacon-leave-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty

That's if they keep the TV slot when Richard Bacon leaves. He is awful. Roll on September! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    20% of the top 15 is quite a lot I would say and the 3rd one is a series.

Bet they would love to lots of Medical scare stories as well if Ofcom would let them.
    I think you are falling into that common trap of exaggerating the influence Desmond had on C5's topical programming, which is very easy for outsiders looking in to do without actually having even a basic knowledge of what it is they are talking about, just making convenient assumptions.

Big Benefits Row: Live for instance certainly didn't conform to the same politcal leanings as his newspapers. Also where were the endless documentaries about Princess Diana conspiracies and the weather ?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

I listen to R5 all morning usually but if Chiles is taking over they can forget that - Id be comatose after 5 minutes!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Channel 4's World Cup alternative The World's Best Diet performed well at 9PM yesterday with 1.8M (8.1%) viewers, in line with the slot average. Two-thirds of the audience was female.

Meanwhile the day's earlier kick off France v Nigeria mustered an average of 3.7M (25%) for BBC One, peaking with 5.6M (29.3%) in the last 5 minutes.

www.broadcastnow.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I listen to R5 all morning usually but if Chiles is taking over they can forget that - Id be comatose after 5 minutes!! :D
    Just doing Mondays and Tuesdays I think. Ironic given he kicked up a fuss about his five day week being cut to four in his last role at the BBC - and now seemingly he's happy to do two days with the odd commitment for ITV in the evenings - but best not to go there !!

I do think the radio will prove to be a better medium for Chiles. I wouldn't mind listening to him for an hour or two in the morning if the items were mostly of interest.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK
    BBC2's audience share rose to 11% yesterday, around double it's normal figure, thanks to 10 hours of #Wimbledon averaging 1.85m/15.3%.

Could be the rating of the day above. Very impressive share across such a long broadcast for a channel that typically averages about 6%.

Great day for BBC Two, just seen this as well -

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv
    BBC2 #Wimbledon2014 averaged 1.8m/15.3% from 11.30am, but extra #djokovicvstsonga live between 8-9pm drew 3.7m/16.7% http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great day for BBC Two, just seen this as well -

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv
    BBC2 #Wimbledon2014 averaged 1.8m/15.3% from 11.30am, but extra #djokovicvstsonga live between 8-9pm drew 3.7m/16.7% http://www.overnights.tv
    Good grief, that's huge for the Djokovic game! The perfect way to bridge the gap between the two football fixtures for many sports fans, it must have helped.

So much for Wimbledon having a quieter than usual year because it's not the main event at the moment.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Both soaps ran to time so Overnights.tv must be adding in +1 there.

Correction - it was ronant tweeting the soaps so of course that included +1, my mistake. EastEnders ahead of Corrie excluding or including their respective repeats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC News and BBC Regional News averaged 4.06M against Corrie. Undoubtedly tougher competition for the ITV soap than the likes of Bang Goes The Theory.

Over on multichannel ITV3's Midsomer Murders repeat topped the chart impressively with 1.15M, pulling over 400,000 more than any other digital programme yesterday.

http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/highlights/ratings
This discussion has been closed.