Rolf Harris sentenced live

Comments

• FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Exactly. I'm a heterosexual male, so my urges are for women. But if the only way I could satisfy those urges was by causing immense distress to another human being, I'd just have to go without.

^ this really, I think any abuser has some kind of psychological disorder beyond a sexual perversion; that allows them to commit the abuse that they do; I would say the same about rapists or any type of abuse.

Usually abuse isn't merely sexual but also deeply psychological and controlling.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Vanessa Feltz is now saying he fondled her on live TV. If this is true, then he should be given a retrial to see if he is mentally unwell.

If it's true, why did no one notice it?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    ^ this really, I think any abuser has some kind of psychological disorder beyond a sexual perversion; that allows them to commit the abuse that they do; I would say the same about rapists or any type of abuse.

From what I've experienced, the abuse isn't merely sexual but also deeply psychological and controlling.

I think something's obviously gone wrong in their brains before birth for them to be attracted to youngsters. If not, then all adults would be getting up close and personal with youngsters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

I'm a bit puzzled by that as well. His hands would have been in full view all through the interview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »

Usually abuse isn't merely sexual but also deeply psychological and controlling.

For the vast majority of people, a relationship is about give and take, mutual satisfaction. It becomes abuse when this is not there.

I think the most of us would struggle to find any enjoyment if another person evidently wasn't. But it seems to be this element that drives the abuser. Whether they get off on the abuse or whether they simply don't give a shit about how others feel is probably different in every case.

It always boils down to control though. And to have that control, the other person has to be destroyed. It boggles my mind when people say that abuse doesn't have lasting effects when the person has been stripped to a shell of who they once were for the abuse to take place initially.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm a bit puzzled by that as well. His hands would have been in full view all through the interview.

He could have groped someones ass without the cameras picking it up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think something's obviously gone wrong in their brains before birth for them to be attracted to youngsters. If not, then all adults would be getting up close and personal with youngsters.
    The medical establishment disagrees with you. They view it as a psychological problem, be that developmental from childhood or trauma induced. Personality disordered are entrenched patterns of thinking, that are extremely difficult to change, but there is nothing wrong with the brain as an organ, nothing wrong with the hardware, it is the software the personality running on the brain that is the problem.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another point - it's no good holding out his hands and saying "look, they aren't hairy" - they become less hairy with age.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    The medical establishment disagrees with you. They view it as a psychological problem, be that developmental from childhood or trauma induced. Personality disordered are entrenched patterns of thinking, that are extremely difficult to change, but there is nothing wrong with the brain as an organ, nothing wrong with the hardware, it is the software the personality running on the brain that is the problem.

not saying I am an expert or anything but when i emerged at 30 from 10 years of anorexia, my maturity/development was that of a 20 year old.
    maybe in some cases there are people who have some form of arrested development

don't know

not excusing it AT ALL as it appalls me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    He could have groped someones ass without the cameras picking it up

Vanessa said it was her that he groped. They were lying on the bed together when she was interviewing him, going by the image in the below link.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/387494/EXCLUSIVE-Vanessa-Feltz-reveals-sex-assault-by-Rolf-Harris
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well obviously, there is something wrong with them anyway; I was just stating that I think there is more to it than a sexual perversion; as in there must be some psychopathic tendency there too.

See Odd a Socks reply below, it puts it far more eloquently than I did.

Odd Socks wrote: »
    For the vast majority of people, a relationship is about give and take, mutual satisfaction. It becomes abuse when this is not there.

I think the most of us would struggle to find any enjoyment if another person evidently wasn't. But it seems to be this element that drives the abuser. Whether they get off on the abuse or whether they simply don't give a shit about how others feel is probably different in every case.

It always boils down to control though. And to have that control, the other person has to be destroyed. It boggles my mind when people say that abuse doesn't have lasting effects when the person has been stripped to a shell of who they once were for the abuse to take place initially.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Another point - it's no good holding out his hands and saying "look, they aren't hairy" - they become less hairy with age.

That is true. I dont have to shave my legs or under arms anymore as the hair is very sparse and fine, so hardly noticeable. I used to be like a monkey who could almost plait and bead my leg hair :o:D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanessa said it was her that he groped. They were lying on the bed together when she was interviewing him, going by the image in the below link.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/387494/EXCLUSIVE-Vanessa-Feltz-reveals-sex-assault-by-Rolf-Harris

Wow. :(
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member

Seeing the vile comments directed at Vanessa Feltz at the end of this article for admitting this happened, is it any wonder that someone young and not famous would not have been believed?

Those who are stating that VF is fat, ugly and 'who'd want to do that to HER anyway? ' are a BIG part of this problem.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing the vile comments directed at Vanessa Feltz at the end of this article for admitting this happened, is it any wonder that someone young and not famous would not have been believed?

Those who are sating VF is fat, ugly and 'who'd want to do that to HER anyway? ' are a BIG part of this problem.
    To be fair it's the Daily Star . Not exactly known for its intellectual readership.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Those who are sating VF is fat, ugly and 'who'd want to do that to HER anyway? ' are a BIG part of this problem.

I didn't read the comments because unfortunately I know they'd have been like that.

The "If it were real she'd have not waited so long to say something" crowd are frustrating at the least. Knowing the comments and disbelief that will come can take years to learn to face up to.

It also shows how it's not about jumping on band wagons, but that other people have come forward gives confidence that there's a greater chance of their being believed. The being believed is a huge battle for victims of any abuse and is a major cause of it being so little reported.

I'm glad that we're reaching an age where people are coming forward, but I think with this education is needed for the most of the public as to how abuse can effect a person.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    To be fair it's the Daily Star . Not exactly known for its intellectual readership.

Exactly, but I'm sure they'd be the first to want to 'string up 'perverts. However, if women who the readership deem to consider ugly, annoying or fat are attacked, they MUST be liars and so should shut up.

These red tops help to fuel and reflect its readers' opinions and can also form them too.
    I didn't read the comments because unfortunately I know they'd have been like that.

The "If it were real she'd have not waited so long to say something" crowd are frustrating at the least. Knowing the comments and disbelief that will come can take years to learn to face up to.

It also shows how it's not about jumping on band wagons, but that other people have come forward gives confidence that there's a greater chance of their being believed. The being believed is a huge battle for victims of any abuse and is a major cause of it being so little reported.

I'm glad that we're reaching an age where people are coming forward, but I think with this education is needed for the most of the public as to how abuse can effect a person.

I agree with all your comments here Odd Socks. In a way, it is a good thing that these cases are coming to light because for so long victims of all kinds of abuse have been suffering in silence.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not only an extra leg but an extra hand as well ...

Unless the cameras were doing close ups from the chest upwards.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you? How often does that occur without the help of therapy and long term involvement of support workers? And of course, none of that takes away what happened, just enables a person to live as close to a normal life as possible.

Being as your thoughts on this go against the grain, you'll be happy to provide evidence, links or something to educate us I assume?

I go from personal experience is that enough for you
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Not only an extra leg but an extra hand as well ...
    Unless the cameras were doing close ups from the chest upwards.
    Though surely someone would have said something, did nobody in the studio see it, or did they all get letters from lawyers?
    Edit: point being, not a lone voice but an entire set of production staff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I go from personal experience is that enough for you

Are all personal experiences the same then?

You felt one way and if someone claims they felt differently, they're a liar?

I also don't believe that anyone can go through sexual abuse without any lasting damage. Yes, it's possible to recover, but not with immediate effect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though surely someone would have said something, did nobody in the studio see it, or did they all get letters from lawyers?

I don't know if it's related but I read , somewhere , that one part of the 'bad character' evidence being considered was a TV presenter (or similar words ) assaulted off camera but the suggestion was the change in her face was 'noticeable ' . I've no idea if that was Vanessa feltz or not .

I also saw reported to there was a both an Australian witness to one assault used alongside that victim . Not used was another report from Australia were a witnessed who challenged him and the victim . That was at a TV or radio studio although I can't recall more details . A BBC reporter also stated on radio 5 the other day she'd been assaulted and her father had criticised her for "wearing a tight top"

I've no idea if they're true but it seems there are allegations of it happening
  • Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair the same can be said about any Scum Rags comments section. They seem to attract the absolute dumbest in society like a light attracts Moths.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

I'm surprised by that too, his wife was watching it as well and the whole camera crew!
    Not saying Vanessa is lying but it just sounds odd :confused: At the time Vanessa was known for being outspoken and loud so it seems very surprising to me nothing was said.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Could be any number of reasons. You also assume that no one else did notice it.

At the very least sounds like she noticed it.