Options

The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?

spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This song is a masterpiece, anyone agree? It sounds as fresh and powerful as the day it was first released, in my opinion. "I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular. You shut your mouth, how can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does!" Pure brilliance from Morrissey and Marr.

Comments

• Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I love this. It's one of my favourite Smiths songs :)
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my Smiths favourites too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great song, love most of what the smiths did though :cool:
  • Options
    3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Agree. I love the sawtooth guitars...I hope you can understand what I mean by that.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a timeless bit of brilliance, it has to be said!
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As covered by t.A.T.u.:

http://youtu.be/TmJ_hGOVebs

Interviewer: Did you hear t.A.T.u's version of 'How Soon Is Now'?

Morrissey: Yes, it was magnificent. Absolutely. Again, I don't know much about them.

Interviewer: They're the teenage Russian lesbians.

Morrissey: Well, aren't we all?
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Has any band has ever been so melodically limited, so calculatedly joyless, such as waste of a good guitarist, or fronted by such an inexplicably self-important frontman?" - Mark Monohan .

and i couldn't put it better myself .
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's up there with Stairway to Heaven, Layla, Bohemian Rhapsody and those other timeless classics. Even love Tatu's version.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like it, but prefer Tatu's version.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Love the original, the lyrics are pretty damn true.
    In particular 'you shut your mouth, how can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does.'

I know that feel bro :p
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    This song is a masterpiece, anyone agree? It sounds as fresh and powerful as the day it was first released, in my opinion. "I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular. You shut your mouth, how can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does!" Pure brilliance from Morrissey and Marr.

The Smiths created a few masterpieces, this is one. I prefer 'There's a light....' but 'How Soon is Now?' Is another one. I resented The Smiths at the time because they played guitars at a time when I thought synths were better but they helped set a direction for guitar pop which later gave us The Roses and Britpop. I'm not sure you will get their like again. I love their Englishness.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    "Has any band has ever been so melodically limited, so calculatedly joyless, such as waste of a good guitarist, or fronted by such an inexplicably self-important frontman?" - Mark Monohan .

and i couldn't put it better myself .

'Mark Monohan' sounds pretty self-important himself.

It's an amazingly good song, but it's probably the only Smiths song I like.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    'Mark Monohan' sounds pretty self-important himself.

'Mark Monohan' is actually Mark Monahan, a Telegraph journalist who contributed to a "debate" on whether the Smiths were the best or worst band of the last 30 years:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/10037317/The-Smiths-best-or-worst-band-of-the-last-30-years.html

I never liked the Smiths. Can't argue with the praise for Johnny Marr's guitar playing, but just don't get the adulation for Morrissey and his lyrics. They literally say nothing to me about my life.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only Smiths song I do like, and I LOVE It, in particular the lines that go

so you go and you stand on your own
    and you leave on your own
    and you go home, and you cry
    and you want to di-i-i-e

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    'Mark Monohan' is actually Mark Monahan, a Telegraph journalist who contributed to a "debate" on whether the Smiths were the best or worst band of the last 30 years:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/10037317/The-Smiths-best-or-worst-band-of-the-last-30-years.html

I never liked the Smiths. Can't argue with the praise for Johnny Marr's guitar playing, but just don't get the adulation for Morrissey and his lyrics. They literally say nothing to me about my life.

I would say they are neither the best, nor the worst band of the past 30 years.

I've never noticed Marr's guitar playing as stand out at all to be honest.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Monahan got it spot on regarding the Smiths, but How Soon Is Now is one of the few exceptions where that band really did shine.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought it was overrated myself. I prefer Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now and There is a Light That Never Goes Out myself. :)
  • Options
    TheGrouchTheGrouch Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    I would say they are neither the best, nor the worst band of the past 30 years.

I've never noticed Marr's guitar playing as stand out at all to be honest.

Outrageous!!!>:(

A couple of less famous Smiths songs, listen to the guitars.

'Back To The Old House'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbgdCzGfFt4

'Suffer Little Children' (about the Moors Murders, you get to hear the brilliant riff in all its glory on the outro)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9DH0_b3F1c

Regards
    TG
  • Options
    TheGrouchTheGrouch Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    And if you want something more upbeat...

'Bigmouth Strikes Again', with some hilarious Morrissey lyrics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgxEJOi6GtA

Regards
    TG
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Mark Monahan got it spot on regarding the Smiths, but How Soon Is Now is one of the few exceptions where that band really did shine.

Sorry but who tf is Mark Monahan?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only one of the finest Smiths songs but a contender for best song ever written (in my humble opinion of course).

Sadly resonated with me lyrically at the time as well. I've already waited too long...and all my hope is gone...

Brilliant guitar work as well and one of the few occasions when Johnny Marr was allowed to do something a bit different and away from the "clean" jangly guitar sound.

Oh, and anyone who thinks the TATU version is better needs their head examined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheGrouch wrote: »
    Outrageous!!!>:(

A couple of less famous Smiths songs, listen to the guitars.

'Back To The Old House'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbgdCzGfFt4

'Suffer Little Children' (about the Moors Murders, you get to hear the brilliant riff in all its glory on the outro)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9DH0_b3F1c

Regards
    TG

Haha! Sorry :p He just sounds very ordinary compared to most of the guitarists I like (in my opinion). Not that I'm one for showing off and being overindulgent. I like a good riff, I just don't think any of the Smiths ones are particularly memorable.

If I want to listen to a couple of amazing guitarists, I'd listen to Opeth or Amorphis, who seem to write and play fantastic guitar parts as if they're going out of fashion.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Not only one of the finest Smiths songs but a contender for best song ever written (in my humble opinion of course).

Sadly resonated with me lyrically at the time as well. I've already waited too long...and all my hope is gone...

Brilliant guitar work as well and one of the few occasions when Johnny Marr was allowed to do something a bit different and away from the "clean" jangly guitar sound.

Oh, and anyone who thinks the TATU version is better needs their head examined.

Had my head examined and it has come back all clear, thank goodness.

Never realised that having a different taste in music than yourself could be a symptom of head problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Had my head examined and it has come back all clear, thank goodness.

Never realised that having a different taste in music than yourself could be a symptom of head problems.

Haha.

I prefer the original, but I also like the Tatu version, it was perfectly decent.

I would say expect snobbery In this section of the forum, it seems to be my experience whenever I've posted here. People telling you, you know nothing- telling you to justify yourself for not liking a particular band, etc...

I couldn't even say I thought their guitarist was ordinary (to me), without someone sadfacing and attempting to show me otherwise, in a fairly patronising way.

I could start posting random youtube videos of all the guitarists I think are much better than Johnny Marr, but then unlike some people here, I am able to accept some people have different tastes and don't all worship at the same altar of... erm, music :p

It's almost as if some posters are thinking: 'He doesn't think exactly like me? No way! He must have not heard it! (there's no other explanation), Maybe if I post some videos, that I'm sure he's not seen, he'll completely change the view on music he's spent the last two decades shaping'.

It's not like I just decide a band isn't for me without listening to them first- I'm not that closed minded, so don't think you can sway me by posting a few videos. It's this presumed ignorance that irks me.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There aren't enough songs about looking for love in gay bars.