Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    I didn't know that was the "full" version i thought it was a one off for that C4 comedy gala.

re the products, until recently they had Sainsburys own brands in Dev's shop.
    Using proper names does make it more realsitic, remember when they had some made up variant of Facebook to track down a long lost relative?

Agree about the ciggs on display, never fails to surprise me that they can do that. I may have asked this before but how many pubs sell ciggs over the bar like that any more?

Re the library - are those library books on Deidre's shelf in her "parlour?" i've been wondering if they were ken's since before this so called drama with the library kicked off
    Shops over 3,000 sq ft can't have cigarettes on display as of 6th April 2012. Displays will be banned in all shops from 6th April 2015.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Shops over 3,000 sq ft can't have cigarettes on display as of 6th April 2012. Displays will be banned in all shops from 6th April 2015.

Dev's (the sex machine) shop is way below 3,000 sq ft.

Rita dirty Kabin is also tiny - does the law treat them differently ?
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thought did cross my mind.

Corrie's turning in to one big shag-fest.

They always do it the same way, with people who never interacted much in a friendly way (or sometimes even at all) becoming all coy and conspiratorial, until suddenly they stop talking, look hard into each others eyes and then snog..... At this point, one or both will say "That should never have happened" and then the next scene shows them waking up together!
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday on The Royal, I saw Julie as a battered wife, today I saw Peter Barlow as an expectant Dad whose wife had Typhoid through infected sandwiches at the hospital.

Know it's not an SOR as such, but Julie looked years older and Peter looked years younger!

The guy who originally set up the kebab shop in Corrie is head porter, his daughter is a vet, the girl in the village shop was a nurse and the under porter was once a comedy vicar all in Emmerdale.

Is there a shortage of actors to go round
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    If Yasmeen is employed there, why wasn't she working?

Why is she the only member of staff objecting to the closure?

Why are the only people protesting from the street? Surely people outside the street would also join in?

Why are the people protesting the more staid Corrie characters?

Anyway His wonderfulness Ken Barlow might just come back and save the library by using the pen is mightier than the sword method. A letter from KB to the Wethy Gazette should sort it out in no time!

Nick is a prat these days and why do we have to have the Platt/Tilsley personal foghorned to the entire bistro? Gail was bellowing about in bistro in the first half and in the second she marched up to Nick while he was serving diners and started again. At one point Nick, Gail and Steph were there. What are they the bl@@dy floor show?!

And don't get me started on Dame Rita.

The library closure has happened so ridiculously quickly too. Yasmeen is supposed to have been head librarian there, I think, and would have been involved in the internal discussions and negotiations. In reality closing what looks like a large central library, rather than a small branch, would have caused a terrific fuss and palaver.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit of a SOR the way Steph was sticking her oar in when Gail was berating Nick in the Bistro.

She's just an employee and she really got on my nerves the way she kept commenting/giggling on everything Gail said to Nick.

On the subject of Steph, I also found it a bit of a SOR that Nick would confide in her the way he did. As I said, she's a member of his staff and they barely know each other outside of work, so why would he talk about such personal things with her?

I've liked Steph recently, once we got over the daft stuff about wonderful bff Tina. But I went off her last night - that was none of her business. But I don't believe Gail would have said all that in public either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Nothing to do with recent episodes, but it's just struck me that two long term residents, Rita and Emily, both turned 80 in the past 5 years, but there was absolutely no special celebrations or even a passing mention of the milestone birthdays.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,962
    Forum Member
    Sophie's said a couple of times how good Maddeh is with Simon, but she just seems patronising to me and I don't think Curly would be won over by her. I guess Maddeh is supposed to have a connection with Si because of her own fractured background and her brother, but it's not very convincing imo.
  • Options
    ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday on The Royal, I saw Julie as a battered wife, today I saw Peter Barlow as an expectant Dad whose wife had Typhoid through infected sandwiches at the hospital.

Know it's not an SOR as such, but Julie looked years older and Peter looked years younger!

The guy who originally set up the kebab shop in Corrie is head porter, his daughter is a vet, the girl in the village shop was a nurse and the under porter was once a comedy vicar all in Emmerdale.

Is there a shortage of actors to go round
    A very young "Peter Barlow" was a drug addict in Peak Practice yesterday. I'm enjoying seeing all the well known actors in their early days. In Always and Everyone there is a Doctor named Phelan and the actor who played Phelan in Corrie is a nice nurse - most bizarre. And Leanne is a nurse in it. Eileen was in Casualty a couple of days ago - the list is endless.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The library closure has happened so ridiculously quickly too. Yasmeen is supposed to have been head librarian there, I think, and would have been involved in the internal discussions and negotiations. In reality closing what looks like a large central library, rather than a small branch, would have caused a terrific fuss and palaver.

Yet just the head librarian and the Corrie oddballs turned up! Why wasn't head librarian Yasmeen at work ? Of course the process of closing would have taken longer. More Corrie bollocks.

Hurry up and bring back 'Do something, Ken.' He'll sort it all out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've liked Steph recently, once we got over the daft stuff about wonderful bff Tina. But I went off her last night - that was none of her business. But I don't believe Gail would have said all that in public either.

In the first part of Corrie she was bellowing at Nick in the bistro. In the second, she went and stood right next to him as he was pouring wine for a table of diners. At one point, Steph also joined them. Do punters go to the bistro just for the ongoing floorshow? Earlier, Gail was remarking sadly about Nick being brain damaged. What a good idea then to go and shout and harrass him whe he's at work. :o

Will Nick now go and seek out Michael and apologise/get him back with Gail? ;-)

Whoever it was who suggested Nick and Steph get together - nooooooooooo! :o That would just be too obvious and cheesy. This is Corrie though. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Sophie's said a couple of times how good Maddeh is with Simon, but she just seems patronising to me and I don't think Curly would be won over by her. I guess Maddeh is supposed to have a connection with Si because of her own fractured background and her brother, but it's not very convincing imo.

No it isn't. Do you think Sophie is trying to convince Maddeh or us the viewers? ;-) And how convenient they have a spare boy child on Corrie for Maddeh to bond with. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Norris would NEVER let Dennis assault him plus attempt a theft from the till plus cause such grief to Rita without getting the police on him real pronto. Even if there is no CCTV in the shop enough was seen by him and Rita to have Dennis convicted.

Rita to Dennis :
    Put the money on the counter and get out! I shan't say it twice! ...........Out! Get out! Get out now! Get your bag and get out!...........Out! Out of my sight! Get out!

Dennis to Rita :
    Now listen here lady. You have actually said it twice and then some. Are you drunk or something? And as for bags - I only came in with one bag and then you turned up. Trying to confuse me are you? You can stay if you like , I'm just taking the bag that I came with.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that woman playing Kal's Mum have an invisible megaphone attached to her gob? All her lines are bellowed at full volume and in a horrible patronsing tone. Get rid of her, she's awful.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that woman playing Kal's Mum have an invisible megaphone attached to her gob? All her lines are bellowed at full volume and in a horrible patronsing tone. Get rid of her, she's awful.

Neither her, not her husband can do any more than just regurgitate lines without any discernible acting ability. Awful.

Also, as is often the way ... she constantly appears in the street for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    Neither her, not her husband can do any more than just regurgitate lines without any discernible acting ability. Awful.

Also, as is often the way ... she constantly appears in the street for no apparent reason.

I know. Corrie is the only soap I watch and I really have to question my sanity as to "why". I watched last night's ep on Catch Up this morning and fast forwarded through 90% of it. It's like a bad improv workshop in an amateur dramatics society.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My guess, and it is a guess not a spoiler, is that Nick and Steph are getting pally as the groundwork is being laid for them to be the next "affair"...... :(

Yes, I've thought that myself in recent episodes, they're spending a lot of time together.

It seems far fetched that she would be attracted to Nick though.......he's obnoxious to everyone and sounds borderline misogynistic in his verbal abuse of Leanne.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Yes, I've thought that myself in recent episodes, they're spending a lot of time together.

It seems far fetched that she would be attracted to Nick though.......he's obnoxious to everyone and sounds borderline misogynistic in his verbal abuse of Leanne.

And he has a big old lollipop tenhead.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick runs like a girl.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick runs like a girl.

Nick runs like Mr Bean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    IWhoever it was who suggested Nick and Steph get together - nooooooooooo! :o That would just be too obvious and cheesy. This is Corrie though. >:(

Sorry that was me :blush:

Please understand that I don't want this though, just predicting it! :D As you say, obvious and cheesy, but it is Coronation Street.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest suspension of reality in the history of Corrie, is why the Bistro hasn't shutdown already, especially with the amount of arguments which take place there. It's not like a pub or bar where arguments can be frequent, but in Nicks Bistro there is always drama, and all the customers can overhear. If Nicks Bistro was on TripAdvisor i can't imagine it pushing through 3 stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rita to Dennis :
    Put the money on the counter and get out! I shan't say it twice! ...........Out! Get out! Get out now! Get your bag and get out!...........Out! Out of my sight! Get out!

Dennis to Rita :
    Now listen here lady. You have actually said it twice and then some. Are you drunk or something? And as for bags - I only came in with one bag and then you turned up. Trying to confuse me are you? You can stay if you like , I'm just taking the bag that I came with.

Now that........... that is excellent! Perhaps CS needs to take you on as a scriptwriter? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry that was me :blush:

Please understand that I don't want this though, just predicting it! :D As you say, obvious and cheesy, but it is Coronation Street.......

No need to apologise Cedric. Let's just wait and see what happens. :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    The biggest suspension of reality in the history of Corrie, is why the Bistro hasn't shutdown already, especially with the amount of arguments which take place there. It's not like a pub or bar where arguments can be frequent, but in Nicks Bistro there is always drama, and all the customers can overhear. If Nicks Bistro was on TripAdvisor i can't imagine it pushing through 3 stars.

LOL! I'd love to read the reviews!

As a customer, I'd find Nick rather scary. He always looks in permanent pain and if he could explode at any second and rush through the Bistro with a meat cleaver lashing out indiscriminately at the punters. Hmmm...... there's a SL in there somewhere. :D:o
This discussion has been closed.