Options

Alton Towers tomorrow..

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I went it was shit, they were only just opening the log Flume and the tickets were £8.
    Is it a bit pricier now ?

1980 that will have been
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The corkscrew is a legend, it's gone now but they have a piece of the track mounted outside

It was new when I went with my school during the Summer of 1980. We got a certificate as well to prove we'd been on the ride. Still got it somewhere. :p:D
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Alton Towers, but I wouldn't go at this time of year, it's heaving, and you'll spend most of the day queueing and won't get your money's worth. I went back in April when it was dead on got everything more than once.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I love Alton Towers, but I wouldn't go at this time of year, it's heaving, and you'll spend most of the day queueing and won't get your money's worth. I went back in April when it was dead on got everything more than once.

I agree - I don't understand why people are happy to pay a small fortune to stand in queues all day long. And then many places sell "queue jump" tickets for a hefty price on top of the small fortune you paid to get in, making the queues even longer for everyone else.

We usually wait until the kids get an inset day from school and go. A couple of Octobers ago we went to Chessington and went on nearly 50 rides that day. The only queuing we had to do was waiting for the ride to stop. Some friends went the following Saturday and went on 4 rides all day, spending the rest of it in queues.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park this year, lots of fun!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1980 that will have been

Close 1981 according to wiki
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the Corkscrew, 1980.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The smiler is awesome, amazing coaster. May even beat the nemesis! I'm gonna wait till November so I can catch the fireworks too :)
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were only just opening the log Flume

Still love the Log Flume (or the bath flume, I suppose nowadays) Always go on it any time I visit (at the start of the day obviously, along with the River Rapids)

Unlike the Haunted Hotel. Not even the crappy lazer quest gimmick can save it. Think it's time to replace it with something else now. All that wasted space that used to be used as queue lanes as the "spooky" graveyard; but instead covered in chewing gum and ciggy butts is just daft.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i remember going on some pointless boat ride thing. dunno why we even bothered doing that lol
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been :( I love rides aswell :cry:
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went 3 weeks ago as a lastminute.com thing as we were in Newcastle Under-Lyme that day as a stop off for our holiday. We had to come down from Workington though so didn't arrive until midday.

What did surprise me was finding it! Unless we approached it the wrong way we drove though some small villages and minor roads until we got to Alton Village and got lost! Had to ask for directions, a bit surprised - we found directions signs and followed these and came around a corner and there it was!

No issue in queuing to get in and that time, we paid for close by parking and picked up our tickets easily.

About 30 mins queue for most rides such as Rita, Oblivion etc but Smiler was over and hour, worth the wait even if the queue is claustrophobic and the music will drive you mad!

I managed 5 rides in that time, I had my monies worth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deano0501 wrote: »
    Still love the Log Flume (or the bath flume, I suppose nowadays) Always go on it any time I visit (at the start of the day obviously, along with the River Rapids)

Unlike the Haunted Hotel. Not even the crappy lazer quest gimmick can save it. Think it's time to replace it with something else now. All that wasted space that used to be used as queue lanes as the "spooky" graveyard; but instead covered in chewing gum and ciggy butts is just daft.

Duel:the haunted house strikes back
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I was flabbergasted the other day when I checked the prices of the Alton Towers Hotel. 2 adults, a 7 year old, and 1 year old twins (under 4s are supposedly free) for 2 nights, and it quoted an eyewatering £765.

It doesn't even include admission to the park.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't sleep excited
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I was flabbergasted the other day when I checked the prices of the Alton Towers Hotel. 2 adults, a 7 year old, and 1 year old twins (under 4s are supposedly free) for 2 nights, and it quoted an eyewatering £765.

It doesn't even include admission to the park.

:o you could go abroad for that!
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    I remember the Thunderlooper, the Black hole and the Corkscrew.

My favourite Alton Towers ride ever, I think it was height restrictions that meant they had to take it away, I would like the local council to ease some of the restrictions on Alton Towers it's stopping them putting world leading rides in.

I would also add The Beast to your list, another great Alton Towers ride that's no longer with us. :(
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't sleep excited

get some beers down you
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes too much, it's shit.

No it's not, it's a great fun day out for the family. We're not talking Disneyland Florida here, an Alton Towers is a great day out.

I'm a merlin pass holder an go regularly an always have a great day.
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    My favourite Alton Towers ride ever, I think it was height restrictions that meant they had to take it away, I would like the local council to ease some of the restrictions on Alton Towers it's stopping them putting world leading rides in.

I would also add The Beast to your list, another great Alton Towers ride that's no longer with us. :(

They have a good history of world leading rides, Smiler is one, nemisis was one, even the corkscrew was one.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Kelloggs tickets buy one get one free check
    waterproofs check
    car fuelled check
    in car charger check
    money check

cant wait, havent been for ages

You've got waterproofs on there, which I expect you are unlikely to need with the current weather, but no sunglasses or sun cream.

Have a nice day anyway. It's not my cup of tea though, having been to Blackpool Pleasure Beach once or maybe twice, many years ago. Roller coasters and such like are for other people.

I found riding on a roller coaster quite scary and nauseating, which is perhaps strange, when I can be at sea all day in a small boat with the swell and wind waves and not be bothered in the slightest, while many people would be sea sick or even barfing up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's raining.. North Face will be the order of the day...
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoy, OP. Fingers crossed that the rain stops for you :)
    They have a good history of world leading rides, Smiler is one, nemisis was one, even the corkscrew was one.

Cheap tricks to get people flocking to the park instead of concentrating on building a solid, decent ride. As long as you can walk away and say "I've been on the tallest/fallest/spinniest/funniest ride in the 'world'" then, heck, sod the experience! Money well spent.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd never get me on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UYFLVVu_Ho

Spinning on a roller coaster :o
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I try to go once a year. It's great. I missed last year because I went to Portaventura instead, which was fantastic too.
    The walking at AT is so exhausting, round and round, by the end of the day, your feet are screaming.
    First time I went was about 1984. They had the Black Hole, which quite frankly, was a death trap and I remember a few injuries and even a death possibly.
    They also had a crazy ride called The Gravitron where you went inside a spinning Wheel and stuck to the walls. It was nauseating.
    I also vaguely remember a ride called 'Round the World in 80 Days' - three boys from our group got thrown out for jumping off the boat.
    There were also random doors where you got a surprise if you opened them. I remember opening one with my friend and a werewolf jumped out and she kicked him in the balls, poor guy.