Options

Sky to become Fox ot something else?

john_hunterjohn_hunter Posts: 512
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

With the very good news that Mr M is finally being allowed to take over BSKYB.

Does anyone think he'll rebrand to FOX or something else? I personally like the name- Fox.

Any thoughts?

Please don't make this into a bashing the takeover thread etc.

Comments

• Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think rebranding Sky to Fox would be a silly move. It'd mean renaming all the Sky branded channels and the company to Sky and plus you have digiboxes and remotes and viewing cards with Sky branding.

I don't think it'll happen personally.

Can you imagine...

Sky1 > Fox1
    Sky Atlantic > Fox Atlantic
    Sky Living > Fox Living
    Sky2 > Fox2
    Sky Movies > Fox Movies
    Sky Sports > Fox Sports
    Sky Arts > Fox Arts
    Sky Broadband > Fox Broadband

:p I don't think I'd like it to be Fox..
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That of course is hypothetical at this point as the takeover is still pending. But if it should go through:

Why should he? The Sky brand is well established and succesful. Rebranding would just cost a shedload of money without any significant benefit.
  • Options
    Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »
    That of course is hypothetical at this point as the takeover is still pending. But if it should go through:

Why should he? The Sky brand is well established and succesful. Rebranding would just cost a shedload of money without any significant benefit.

The Sky brand is also used in many other countries for their satellite pay TV, so I doubt it will be re-branded as Fox.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    I wonder what will happen with the Fox owned channels (eg FX) if the takeover goes through?
  • Options
    john_hunterjohn_hunter Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sky brand is also used in many other countries for their satellite pay TV, so I doubt it will be re-branded as Fox.

Shame I really like the name Fox, don't really like the name Sky as such.
  • Options
    daniel2015daniel2015 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

This is not good news.

This is extremely bad news. You can bet now this is going to happen there will be channel closures and an immediate closure of freesat from sky and they are very likely to pull out of freeview. News Corporation don't do free stuff.

There is no way things will be the same again. Goodbye to a lot a free TV. This is a shame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Does anyone think he'll rebrand to FOX or something else? I personally like the name- Fox.

Any thoughts?

Sky name and branding is more well known and used in other markets around the World than Fox in terms of television, so I think it is unlikely. Sky branding is also used in Asia, The Middle East and pretty much everywhere else Murdoch's empire reaches via satellite. They only use Fox in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and Australia. Fox is used for television channels in other markets... Germany, Italy, New Zealand etc
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they have a branded channel called "Sake"?
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Any thoughts?

Why would he change Sky in any way, wouldn't he have done this before when he owned it lock, stock & barrel or are you forgetting he once owned it all and Sky was his baby ?

News Corp have constantly stated the acquisition is purely financial
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I toyed with the idea.......liked it personally, but Sky is Sky and its got its brand recognition after over 20yrs.......so NO to a rename of SKY to FOX.

However.......

Expect FX to get more support, more new shows and maybe an FX2.

Also......Sky2.......maybe not, maybe FOX Channel or somekind of FOX branded channel.

Movies......expect more 20th Century Fox movies, earlier and WAY more on Anytime+
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt mind a FOX Retro channel in the UK! - maybe a FOX Sports with more American sport on it
  • Options
    Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    RHIGGINSON wrote: »
    I toyed with the idea.......liked it personally, but Sky is Sky and its got its brand recognition after over 20yrs.......so NO to a rename of SKY to FOX.

However.......

Expect FX to get more support, more new shows and maybe an FX2.

Also......Sky2.......maybe not, maybe FOX Channel or somekind of FOX branded channel.

Movies......expect more 20th Century Fox movies, earlier and WAY more on Anytime+

And Higher Bills for the viewers............
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky will remain Sky. Sky News will remain a pretty good alternative to BBC News. UK rules on news channels needing to remaining politically neutral will remain in place. Most if not all of the Sky channels on Freeview will remain right where they are.

The earth will not end, things will carry on, the changes to 99.9999999% of our collective lives brought about by the Sky transaction will be approximately nil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Although....thinking on it.......

Sky1 to Fox.....mmmm, possible

The OTHER Sky Networks around the world, whilst having SKY branded channels ALSO have FOX Channels.....Italy/Germany or instance.
  • Options
    Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The OTHER Sky Networks around the world, whilst having SKY branded channels ALSO have FOX Channels.....Italy/Germany or instance.

The UK previously had a Fox branded channel for a while - Fox Kids.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why not change the name to rabbit ,phoenix, murdoch yes i lke the name "murdoch" " murdoch murders" sky ! that be a great headline ! murdoch" murders "ITV yes imagine the headlines. Did not murdoch own a large percentage of ITV.
    Is there anything this greedy man does not want ? ahhh maybe we can sell the BBC to him then he have complete control and can gives us the news he wants us to here ,not what we want to here. This is a dark day for the free press and independant tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did not murdoch own a large percentage of ITV.

The use past tense is correct. He doesn't anymore
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

What are the FOX branded channels in Germany?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We also have one, it's called FX. Whether we get any more remains to be seen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the CBS brand came to the UK a while ago. It's a pretty big network in the States but it's worth next to nothing over here.
  • Options
    StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did not murdoch own a large percentage of ITV.
    Is there anything this greedy man does not want ? ahhh maybe we can sell the BBC to him then he have complete control and can gives us the news he wants us to here ,not what we want to here. This is a dark day for the free press and independant tv.

BSkyB deliberately bought a large stake in ITV Plc to scupper any chance of NTL (now Virgin Media) merging with ITV Plc. NTL did announce an interest at the time.

NTL then publicly scrapped the idea because of BSkyB deliberate spoiler. So yes Murdoch is a very greedy and wants to influence everything and use sabotage tactics to scupper other media companies activities.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Tom123 wrote: »

Might have been the one I was thinking of. It's been a long time since I was over there (2009) so I had forgotten.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Sky is a far bigger brand in the UK than Fox, therefore I cannot see any reason why News Corp would wish to rebrand it.

Similarly News Corp use the Sky brand in Italy for their wholly owned Sky Italia outfit.

The Sky brand will be around for years to come i'm sure.