Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I think Ricky needs a Merchant to keep the crap he thinks is funny filtered. Ricky has a juvenile sense of humour where as Steve appears at least to be a bit better in that sense and maybe kept 'some' of this sort of thing out of other shows
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    I think Ricky needs a Merchant to keep the crap he thinks is funny filtered. Ricky has a juvenile sense of humour where as Steve appears at least to be a bit better in that sense and maybe kept 'some' of this sort of thing out of other shows

I was just thinking the same. I think Merchant reigns him in a bit and last night it really showed.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That last episode really was dire... I wasn't fan of the first series but the first couple of this series were ok, but Ricky mate really, last night was just weird :confused:
  • Options
    FriedGoldFriedGold Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Can't quite believe how bad this series has been. The Kev character makes for thoroughly unpleasant viewing.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    FriedGold wrote: »
    Can't quite believe how bad this series has been. The Kev character makes for thoroughly unpleasant viewing.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your pov) at the same time without Kev there would be no show.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope by the end of the series something happens that redeems it. Because as it is now, the show isn't offering anything special, and what Ricky had to say about tv through the character of Andy Millman in Extras was great, it IS sad when writers dumb-down entertainment for the masses and resort to crude potty humor to get laughs. I'm not ready to give up yet, I think there may be some redemption for Kev, and the new handyman prat will probably get his comeuppance.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .............. it IS sad when writers dumb-down entertainment for the masses..................

The masses? masses? How many viewers does this show get?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Plenty, But more when it is dumbed down for those who can't watch anything that requires concentration

So the point is valid
  • Options
    FriedGoldFriedGold Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your pov) at the same time without Kev there would be no show.

Not this series certainly. The whole thing is now half an hour of him talking about (or miming) sex with old women. It's excruciating.

Got away with it when he was much more in the background and tempered by Dougie's contempt for him. The whole thing doesn't work without little Karl and his round bald Manc head.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When the program is on a basic channel in a prime time slot, I would say it's intended for the "masses".

The laughs just seem cheap and while that's not uncommon, I had hoped Ricky would dig a little deeper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the program is on a basic channel in a prime time slot, I would say it's intended for the "masses".

The laughs just seem cheap and while that's not uncommon, I had hoped Ricky would dig a little deeper.

I don't think I've heard a TV channel being described as 'basic' before, but leaving that, wasn't it on at 10pm or later? Is that prime time?

And how many of the masses did it attract?

I suspect you may be giving gervais credit for a depth which he doesn't have.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've heard a TV channel being described as 'basic' before, but leaving that, wasn't it on at 10pm or later? Is that prime time?

And how many of the masses did it attract?

I suspect you may be giving gervais credit for a depth which he doesn't have.
    Substitute 'mainstream' instead of 'basic', or even 'non-satellite/ cable' if it helps you to see the point the FM is making. I'd say that 10pm probably is prime-time for more 'adult oriented' shows. I've no idea how many viewers it gets or what's considered a good audience for C4 (or any other channel for that matter) before you ask.

The FM's point is that Gervais does, or at least appeared to, have 'depth', as you put it, in series one that seems to have deserted him in series two.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonight's show sounds more structured.

the EPG mentions London Zoo, so be nice to see them away from the home
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Substitute 'mainstream' instead of 'basic', or even 'non-satellite/ cable' if it helps you to see the point the FM is making. I'd say that 10pm probably is prime-time for more 'adult oriented' shows. ...................

I may have expressed it badly. I understand the point, it was just I'd never heard the word "basic" used for what I call "terrestial" channels. Though I suppose that's wrong, now that we have Freeview.

Prime time for 'adult oriented' shows? Possibly. I'd have thought more people watched the news at that time.

Actually, I've just had a look on BARB. Week 28/4 - 4/5.

BBC News - about 4.5 million.
    Derek -1.81 million (down from 2.29 the week before).
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to watch it on +1, when I'm in bed,
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    tonight's show sounds more structured.

the EPG mentions London Zoo, so be nice to see them away from the home

Lets hope so...although I notice next week's is based at an animal sanctuary. Is this Gervais's way of preaching to be nice to animals as well as old people I wonder?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    On shortly.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, keep open minded, keep optermistic......
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    As if a degenerate like Kevin would draw a picture as good as that.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so trying to like this but, damn, it's becoming harder with each episode. It's just so
    ...........misguided. So much cringe, but not for the right reasons.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like Derek the character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This is awful without Karl Pilkington
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the new handyman guy wearing a wig? His hairline doesn't look right.

He also sounds like Paddy Considine in A Room for Romeo Brass.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    the new handyman character is absolute shite, he's just not funny at all
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    Would a care home manager leave a knobhead like this janitor in charge of the place? I think not.