✭✭

Yes it was indeed mentioned on the monday night show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simono wrote: »
    Yes it was indeed mentioned on the monday night show

I was asleep by then. Glad they pointed out the stupidity of some designers.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Have listened to the last two Phil Williams programmes on transport and they have been first rate and this is what I expect more of from 5live.He has managed the various contributors and heated debate extremely well.Last nights programme from Birmingham New Street station was so interesting and educational,also great to hear Danny Reddington on air talking records.If only this high standard of broadcasting could be applied to other presenters and producers on 5live.The whole station and discussions needs to get around the UK alot more but this was great radio.

Yes it was an excellent program and Pete Waterman was very interesting and surprised me with his detailed knowledge of railways. I've checked on Amazon and found he has written several "railway" books.

Tonight's program is the last in the series, with the subject being roads. Unfortunately it will be interrupted by the start of crappy cricket, which should be left where it belongs on Sports Extra.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was an excellent program and Pete Waterman was very interesting and surprised me with his detailed knowledge of railways. I've checked on Amazon and found he has written several "railway" books.

Tonight's program is the last in the series, with the subject being roads. Unfortunately it will be interrupted by the start of crappy cricket, which should be left where it belongs on Sports Extra.

Thanks to all for the positive comments from other posters about my analysis of VD.....was my take on her...
    To station ID we gave the hypocrisy reasons AND we seem to dislike her show AS well....and for reasons why it should not be in London see this....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518117/BBC-staff-spend-1-3m-flights-London-Manchester-shows-moved-MediaCityUK.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I can't believe they don't even own the site...I hadn't realised that part....I'm sure the rent review will be fair when it happens! :D

Anyway first PW show I've enjoyed I think....very interesting transport discussion....hope roads one is not interrupted as superbike says

It's also for me the first ever show that justified being on location I think too....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie Savage at Old Trafford: "The change of formation in the second half to a 4-4-2 has really helped Manchester United. Adnan Januzaj has looked exceptional since he came on, and if there is going to be a winner, it will be the home side."

Robbie - you know jack sh1t.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He started out as a railwayman.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .The whole station and discussions needs to get around the UK alot more

Except when Victoria Derbyshire does it, you complain about her not being in Salford.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PW is a huge railways nerd.

I'm only a few miles away from the Cambridge Services so thought about popping over to see it being recorded.

I also appreciate the coverage of the "crappy" cricket on R5L, especially when I'm driving as I don't have Sports Extra or R4LW in the car. Personally, I love cricket - and I'm preparing for all all nighter for the second Test.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie Savage at Old Trafford: "The change of formation in the second half to a 4-4-2 has really helped Manchester United. Adnan Januzaj has looked exceptional since he came on, and if there is going to be a winner, it will be the home side."

Robbie - you know jack sh1t.

Was last night one of those night where 5Live don't actually have rights for any live games, so they spend the night watching the games on screens in the studio telling us what is happening and crossing to reporters every time a goal is scored? Plus they send a reporter and a 'star' like Robbie to a game that they can't cover! All this while a actual game from the lower leagues is broadcast on Sports Extra.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Was last night one of those night where 5Live don't actually have rights for any live games, so they spend the night watching the games on screens in the studio telling us what is happening and crossing to reporters every time a goal is scored? Plus they send a reporter and a 'star' like Robbie to a game that they can't cover! All this while a actual game from the lower leagues is broadcast on Sports Extra.

This often happens when there are two games on a Sunday, and I wish they would show some imagination when this happens, and try to be more creative. The studio"discussions" become tedious in the extreme, and I would prefer coverage of either a lower league game, or ( whisper it) other sports, rather than witless nonentities waffling on about the Premier League, issuing the usual bland rubbish.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the criticisms above regarding 5 Live choosing not to cover live sport they have the rights to.

I think it would be good for Football League fans if 5 Live lost their early Saturday Premier League matches, because then the early Football League matches would be on 5 Live while the Premier League matches would be on another station.
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    One of the great things about DS is how we all see things differently. I didn't really take to the first two Phil Williams OBs, but thought last night's was really interesting. I thought the one from Birmingham was spoiled by the train announcer who was far too loud every few minutes and really distracted me from what was being said.

I thought last night's football was brilliant. I absolutely love it (Kevin Keegan 1990 something!) when there are loads of Premier League games and Five Live don't have the rights. Incidently, they don't have the rights because the Premier League are forced by European Law not to give exclusivity to one broadcaster, that's why Sky no longer have exclusivity on the telly.

I know I will be in a minority of one, but I prefer that format to one where we have a commentary that dominates. Last night seemed more fun, more immediate, more informative and ultimately more satisfying.

Thirdly, was I alone in being disappointed that Tony Livesey was not on breakfast this morning. I really did miss him and I find Nicky Campbell so lack lustre. I know she has her critics on here, but I do like Rachel Burden. Especially before seven when she can get a word in edgeways.

I have warmed a bit more to Sam Walker this week, but, even though he can infuriate me with his self obsessions at times, I can see why Richard Bacon is so distinctive and so favoured amongst the bosses.
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I actually listened in the afternoon as Bacon was away doing his TV programme (accidentally caught sight of him on the opposition) and I thought Sam Walker was very good, more so for not being Bacon. I'm surprised he's allowed to go off and do that instead of the radio programme he's paid to do.

I was also very disappointed to wake up to no Tony Livesey this morning. I don't mind Burden too much now, but still wonder how she got to broadcast with a voice like that. I quite like the lack of pretentiousness of both her and Livesey together. They are quite down to earth and "normal".
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    I thought last night's football was brilliant. I absolutely love it (Kevin Keegan 1990 something!) when there are loads of Premier League games and Five Live don't have the rights. Incidently, they don't have the rights because the Premier League are forced by European Law not to give exclusivity to one broadcaster, that's why Sky no longer have exclusivity on the telly.

I know I will be in a minority of one, but I prefer that format to one where we have a commentary that dominates. Last night seemed more fun, more immediate, more informative and ultimately more satisfying.
    Couldn't have put it better - enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    PW is a huge railways nerd.

I'm only a few miles away from the Cambridge Services so thought about popping over to see it being recorded.

I also appreciate the coverage of the "crappy" cricket on R5L, especially when I'm driving as I don't have Sports Extra or R4LW in the car. Personally, I love cricket - and I'm preparing for all all nighter for the second Test.

Your car radio desn't have long wave? Seriously? It must have DAB then?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidently, they don't have the rights because the Premier League are forced by European Law not to give exclusivity to one broadcaster, that's why Sky no longer have exclusivity on the telly.

There are seven radio packages and the BBC could in theory hold six of them (as they did between 2007 and 2010). Package 7 (arguably the least attractive of the packages) is the one held by Absolute - second pick 3pm Saturday matches.

In theory the BBC could hold the rights to the Wednesday night matches but they only have 4 out of the 7 packages, rather than the 6 permitted by the EU.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Wow, a listenable and intelligent discussion on 5 Live Sport :) Pat Nevin, David Pleat and Tim Vickery with Will Perry. No oikishness from Savage, Claridge or Hartson - music to the ears!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    iandun wrote: »
    Wow, a listenable and intelligent discussion on 5 Live Sport :) Pat Nevin, David Pleat and Tim Vickery with Will Perry. No oikishness from Savage, Claridge or Hartson - music to the ears!

Yeah.....intelligent but a bit pointless

They could have had this tomorrow when we actually know the draw

Still, there's nowt else on.......
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I actually listened in the afternoon as Bacon was away doing his TV programme (accidentally caught sight of him on the opposition) and I thought Sam Walker was very good, more so for not being Bacon. I'm surprised he's allowed to go off and do that instead of the radio programme he's paid to do.

Well he only gets paid for the shows he does, but R5 do have a limit as towards the end of her contract Gabby Logan seemed to off doing TV more than she was doing R5
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You might be surprised - on Saturday afternoons talkSPORT provide the kind of service that Radio 5 Live was doing last night, where they have reporters at 10-13 football and rugby matches from 3pm and jump from game to game to game rather than concentrate on a single featured commentary.

I understand that this programme, Matchday Live, now has a bigger audience since it returned to doing 'Around the Grounds' (as this kind of service is known) than it had between 2007 and 2010 when talkSPORT held full match commentary rights to second pick 3pm Premier League games (the package Absolute Radio now holds). I don't doubt their figures have been boosted by holding exclusive rights to the 5.30pm PL games, but that talkSPORT's audience hasn't dropped off a cliff for the 3-5pm timeslot suggests that there is a section of the audience that appreciates such a service being available. Being a fan of a lower league club I know I do, as I find it much easier to keep tabs on my team's score on such a show than I do during 5 Live Sport when they are concentrating mainly on the Premier League and other "featured matches".

As such I don't have a problem with Radio 5 Live doing an Around the Grounds show on a night like last night where you've got a big night full of action and talkSPORT - who hold exclusive live rights to Wednesday night Premier League games - aren't providing this service as they would on a busy Tuesday night of league action, rather than doing a full Championship commentary as they could have done (and indeed they did put one on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra I believe). I think where the frustration lies with 5 Live Sport is in examples like wns_195 states, when there's no Saturday 12.45pm Premier League game but there is an early game in the Championship and 5 Live opts to do bland chat about the afternoon's forthcoming Premier League games with the Championship commentary stuck on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra. You can make the same argument about the Monday and Friday night 5 Live Sport shows when this kind of thing often happens, even late on in the season when the televised Championship games are often really significant in terms of the promotion battle. I'd like to hear more coverage of the Football League on Radio 5 Live, that being said from a selfish point of view as I have regular access to 5LSE I can see the advantage of these games being on the secondary station as they usually take the home team's BBC Local Radio commentary, which I generally prefer to listen to than one from a 5 Live commentary team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last call for passenger Fogarty ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dreading Adeybayo's Up All Night for the next four days
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Dreading Adeybayo's Up All Night for the next four days

Ask the man holding the gun to your head if he wouldn't mind changing the station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've tried that. It's the same story on every station. Radio 4, World Service, as you would expect, but unbelievably on Talk Sport as well. Surely it won't be on Planet Rock!
This discussion has been closed.