Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Gillian Reynolds, the Radio Critic in the Telegraph isn't happy either about the wall to wall coverage of the CG.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10998594/The-BBC-must-learn-that-big-isnt-always-beautiful.html

Who the hell is Gillian Reynolds to tell everyone Five has got it wrong with the CG? She is not representative...
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who the hell is Gillian Reynolds to tell everyone Five has got it wrong with the CG? She is not representative...

Are you sure she is actually allowed to have an opinion on 5live ? If so ? I find it disgusting ! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''.. they all sound like kids who've eaten too much sugar..''

Stand up Darren Campbell, Stephen Parry, Alison Curbishley ...

I see that Steve Backley (who started with 5 live at the same time as the above) has deservedly been promoted to TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure she is actually allowed to have an opinion on 5live ? If so ? I find it disgusting ! :)

No, Gillian Reynolds is not allowed to give an opinion on Five unless it gushing. She should really stick to Radio 4 - else upset the "everything is great with Five" brigade. However I am pleased to discover that the c@ap being broadcast to the nation is not going amiss.
  • Options
    Ross RevengeRoss Revenge Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I'm not overly fussed about Five Live either way and have no axe to grind. Must admit though, the CG coverage does seem a bit like overkill. It's a bit like the golf, seemingly unending and rather too much. Not great for the casual listener. Why not put live CG coverage on 5LExtra and retain normal programmes on R Five Live perhaps?

I generarally like(d) Five Live, but it does seem rather a shambles these days. The above, combined with the barely audible, live press conferences we're frequently subjected to, as well as the interminable PMQ's shouty sessions, has at least meant I've re-discovered Radio 4 unrivalled daytime output, plus the World Service. To such an extent that I don't think I'll be retuning back to Five Live again now until it gets a bit of a grip.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five was once excellent. Thanks to Derbyshire's misery, Campbell's ego, Nolan, Mandela coverage, Commonwealth Games faux wonderment etc. - it's crap.

5 Live has been covering major international sports tournaments since it was created, including the Commonwealth Games.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi! Bash 5live all you like, but leave Gillian Reynolds alone! She is a national treasure as a radio critic & should be made Lady Reynolds for her legendary "Month in Ambridge" column alone!
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,506
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to see how much coverage is given to the next CWG in Australia?

Doubt it will be quite so in depth.

Do think there is a sort of good will feeling from London 2012 they want to try and keep going.

Also want to be seen not just covering the main sports on their station - as somebody said earlier though we won't hear of many events for a while once the games finish.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    The fact is that unless the obsessive haters on this thread who are not representative of the normal listening public (despite what they think) have RAJAR diaries then I am afraid the meltdown some are wishing for will not happen.

Certain posters predicted that "national LBC" was going to trounce Five Live in this quarter, it didn't happen. Maybe next time though eh guys?:p

I used to take part in listener's surveys but haven't done so since moving so cannot influence as such......it's never going to be a bomb... more gradual...maybe it won't happen maybe it will...

don t think anyone of us who are anti the current schedule/format realistically expected an England cricket style collapse & 5live breakfast is even up by 160k or so amazingly....it's a desire of people bothered enough to contribute to a forum however to want improvements........so TIC we hoped they may be shocked into changes by dramatically poor ratings...

....the masses will soak up without complaining too much if it's fed to them....hence you have a popular tabloid press...plus eastenders,big brother,towie,x factor etc etc ad nauseam..... is seen to be successful by getting big audiences....doesn't actually mean any of it is actually any good....
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    Gillian Reynolds, the Radio Critic in the Telegraph isn't happy either about the wall to wall coverage of the CG.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10998594/The-BBC-must-learn-that-big-isnt-always-beautiful.html

Excellent article, sums up my feelings on the BBCs coverage in general and 5 Live in particulr very well. The same could also be said about a lot of the so called news coverage on 5 Live - breathlessly dashing about and shouting.

It's a sad state for what was a once great radio stationto be in. As a poster on here said many pages back, "my radio dial used to be welded to 5 Live", So was mine, but no longer, and the more I roam the airwaves, the more the shortcomings of the current output are exposed.

I hope the reshuffle in the autumn will freshen things up on the presenting side, but until there are changes in the approach that the station adopts we will see more of the same lowest common denominator output.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five was once excellent listening. With the likes of Simon Mayo, Eddie Mair and Fi Glover and Jane Garvey it left LBC and TalkRadio and Talk Sport for dead.

And now...I will leave that for others.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how much coverage is given to the next CWG in Australia?

Doubt it will be quite so in depth.

Do think there is a sort of good will feeling from London 2012 they want to try and keep going.

Also want to be seen not just covering the main sports on their station - as somebody said earlier though we won't hear of many events for a while once the games finish.

In fairness the games in Australia will be on at odd hours for us in the UK
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live schedules for next week

6am Nicky Campbell looks back at the Commonwealth Games
    10am Victoria Derbyshire looks back at the Commonwealth Games
    12pm Shelagh Fogerty's sport team look at the games in Glasgow
    2pm Richard Bacon talks to Rabb C Nesbitt about the Commonwealth Games
    4pm Drivetime - live from the empty stadiums of the Commonwealth Games
    7pm 5 Live Sport - a look back at the Games
    10.30pm Phil Williams with the Commonwealth Games quiz
    1am Up All Night - Rhod Sharp with the Nicaraguan death squads, plus Commonwealth Games review
    5.15am Wake Up to Money - was the Commonwealth Games worth it?
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

1am Up All Night - Rhod Sharp with the Nicaraguan death squads, plus Commonwealth Games review

Nice, except Richard Bacon will do the TV review of....the Commonwealth Games.
  • Options
    jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Commonwealth Nights is hard listening. The combination of Colin Paterson and Nihal makes it banal.

I don't mind sport coverage but this has thrown me to LBC again.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are freakin hilarious mate.

Hopefully you are posting that from your gig at the Edinburgh Fringe.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that from next week the countdown to the football season will start. There's been almost no football to talk about for almost a whole month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, however what about the weekend?
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monday is all about World War One although some of it is based from Glasgow for obvious reasons.

Sport this week is a mix of football chat and random program's on other sports as there's little live sport
  • Options
    ukebraukebra Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    Oi! Bash 5live all you like, but leave Gillian Reynolds alone! She is a national treasure as a radio critic & should be made Lady Reynolds for her legendary "Month in Ambridge" column alone!

Nancy Banks-Smith surely?
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice but I think the 10am slot would read.

10am Victoria Derbyshire looks back at the Commonwealth Games and finds a victim.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Priceless.... :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm sure that from next week the countdown to the football season will start. There's been almost no football to talk about for almost a whole month.

and sadly so true... :( the only bonus of the commonwealth games is the lack of endless drivel & speculation about every minutiae of soccer ad nauseam.......despite the Olympics 5 live presenters & BBC saying how they would put more focus on other sport it's back to the OK magazine style obsession of kicking air around a field... ho hum... :p
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,506
    Forum Member
    Well they might dare to talk about the Championship and lower leagues which start next week then it will be Premier league action only..

With interruptions for the cricket and F1.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukebra wrote: »
    Nancy Banks-Smith surely?
    D'oh, what an idiot I am. In my defence I'd had a couple of cold drinks!
This discussion has been closed.