Does Your House Stink Of Dog ?

Comments

• mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a dog and I am obsessed with making sure the house doesn't have that rank dog smell. I hoover daily, use shake and vac a few times a week. I also use 1001's carpet foam freshner thing along with A fabric freshner.

I have a plug in that's in the hall. The dogs beds are washed every couple of weeks too.

My house will NOT smell of dog!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you own a dog you keep in doors then yes. People think their dog stops smelling a week after they bring it home. WRONG! You just get used to the smell. To anyone else it still stinks
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I don't have any pets and I can smell dog a soon as I walk into a house with a dog no matter how much they wash the dog/bedding etc. I would never stop going or tell them their house smells of dog though.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    My dad calls them dirty dangerous pests. I'm inclined to agree with him.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no but i reek of it every time i go in a friends car, it`s so strong it`ll kill a man.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no. mine stinks of dog food though. he's on chappie at the moment and the smell makes me feel ill.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it the sort of people who object don't tend to get a warm welcome here, they miss out on the fun and love and laughter a dog brings to a home though but that's their problem not mine.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Thinking about it the sort of people who object don't tend to get a warm welcome here, they miss out on the fun and love and laughter a dog brings to a home though but that's their problem not mine.

i agree entirely. non doggie people are unwelcome unless they're willing to put up with being sat on by a large boxer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    i agree entirely. non doggie people are unwelcome unless they're willing to put up with being sat on by a large boxer.

I love big dogs that think they are lap dogs lol our Mollie likes a lap more than the floor and once squashed by a Molliepops you remain squashed for a while :p
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I love big dogs that think they are lap dogs lol our Mollie likes a lap more than the floor and once squashed by a Molliepops you remain squashed for a while :p

I don't have a dog :( but this reminded me of a Great Dane called Harley where I used to work who felt it was his duty to sit on your lap whenever you sat down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the neighbours have enquired about Tinky.
    I really should get around to burying him.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charmarr wrote: »
    Why would anybody with a single brain cell have one of these smelly,dirty,horrible things esecially in a small house or flat.
    The owner gets immune to the smell.I guarantee you can ALWAYS tell when you walk into someones house that they have a dog.
    It is so unhygenic especially if there are small children or babies in the house.

Awww Charmarr thats no way to talk about your OH :D
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because I have a cat! :D However my mum has a dog and her house stinks of it. It did even when I used to live there.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Not since my son got a new girlfriend.
    I know exactly what you are talking about :D
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont have a dog but sometimes my friends dog stays with me when they go on holiday, lovely dog but I hate the smell, Its not so bad if the weather ok he will lie out in the garden and I can have the door open but if its raining I go through lots of airfreshners and burn scented candles .. they seemed to work well last time :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    No, because I have a cat! :D However my mum has a dog and her house stinks of it. It did even when I used to live there.

Cats impart their own special odour too I find but like the dog smell I can't say it bothers me enough to start a thread on it or moan about it. Ferrets IME are the most smelly to keep but their general cuteness excuses them I think.

Worst creatures ever for smells are humans and we have a choice our furry families don't get a choice.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the smell of wet dog. Am I weird?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I love the smell of wet dog. Am I weird?

IME some dogs smell nicer than others when wet. Molliepops isn't too bad but the late great Duncan was horrible smelling when he got wet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IME some dogs smell nicer than others when wet. Molliepops isn't too bad but the late great Duncan was horrible smelling when he got wet.

Although nothing beats the smell of puppies.:D
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I have two dogs, one of which has been poorly lately. He has had a couple of small accidents on my new hall carpet - and although I can't smell it, my husband can.

I have scrubbed the carpet within an inch of its life and I burn scented candles. I need to get the wet vac out ..... but not until its warmer and I can open the windows to dry them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Although nothing beats the smell of puppies.:D

Isn't it funny what people like and dislike because that is the thing I am dreading about our new pup (we pick up this weekend) I love dogs and puppies but the puppy smell I find just horrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Yes. I have two dogs, one of which has been poorly lately. He has had a couple of small accidents on my new hall carpet - and although I can't smell it, my husband can.

I have scrubbed the carpet within an inch of its life and I burn scented candles. I need to get the wet vac out ..... but not until its warmer and I can open the windows to dry them.

Have you tried sprinkling bicarbonate of soda on it ? leave over night then vacuum up. It may help until you can clean it properly.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dog is for life not just for xmas.

What a pity some of the doggie lovers dont have the same view about their marriages.
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has a Staffy but I don't pick up any dog whiffs in her place, and I have a very sharp sense of smell.

I live in a flat with cats but if in the future I get a bigger place I wouldn't mind getting a dog. I'm not worried about any smells, I expect the dog will get used to it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it funny what people like and dislike because that is the thing I am dreading about our new pup (we pick up this weekend) I love dogs and puppies but the puppy smell I find just horrible.

Well some of the stuff that comes out of them is horrible, but that actually puppy-itself smell.... heaven! I went to the Dogs Trust with a friend last week as she sponsors a doggy there and wanted to visit it, and I came this close to getting a second dog.:o

What kind of pup you getting, mollie?