Is the benefit system corrupt?

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aztec23 wrote: »
    There's a lot of overseas people now in jobs of which involve banking and retail.

If we're part of this EU, then in theory, we can't take objection and I genuinely believe in the best candidate getting the job no matter who they are.

That said however, behind closed doors and off the record, particularly if you've been born here and paid your way, there's always that grain of resentment.

The trouble is that with immigration it is often not just the best person for the job, but the best person to take as little pay as possible.

For instance farm workers who work for less than minimum pay. (off the books)
  • Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how those who have been out of work for longer periods are not given the support out there? For example, the New Work Programme Providers should be doing more out there to place people into employment where they're genuinely going to be happy and are likely to hold down their job.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of overseas people now in jobs of which involve banking and retail.

If we're part of this EU, then in theory, we can't take objection and I genuinely believe in the best candidate getting the job no matter who they are.

That said however, behind closed doors and off the record, particularly if you've been born here and paid your way, there's always that grain of resentment.

Absolutely. I agree with you about the best candidate for the job, but there are those who come here just because they can get benefits, housing, etc etc. There are now some who live in this area, and the numbers are growing. They tend to come here and the relatives follow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is that with immigration it is often not just the best person for the job, but the best person to take as little pay as possible.

For instance farm workers who work for less than minimum pay. (off the books)

That's very true. There are workers who have been 'made redundant' only to have their jobs given to foreign workers. It's illegal but it still goes on.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone given DLA just for addiction, usually they will have serious, long-term mental health issues, or other mental disorder, underlying as well. In fact, DLA has never been easy to get even for those people IME.

There are people at every level of society taking the p*ss and there always will be.

Agreed but then why doesn't the system do what it's supposed to do and withdraw JSA if they are not seeking work or taking the first job they are offered?
    Forum Member
    I first hit unemployment from the summer of 2005:

2005: Between May and November
    2006: Between April and February of 2007 (In between that I was on a training course for 6 months)
    2007: Between April and June (in between that I volunteered), and then December right till February of 2009
    2009: May till September 2010 (Went back to Uni from October 2009 on a years training).
    2011 Between May and October of 2012
    2013 Since January, no work.:(

I've had 7 different jobs in between the stated gaps of employment.

And for legitimate reasons (not been sacked and failed my probationary period once), I've either been made redundant or the job was temp.

Yes, there's days when I am positive in spite of being on JSA, but equally, there's been darker and depressing days.

I'm genuinely happy, when I know I've put in the effort to look for work, and I have an interview lined up next Tues, so looking forward to tha
    t.:cool:
    Good luck! :)
    Forum Member
    It sounds like it. Most people on benefits can only just afford to buy food after all the bills are paid. perhaps stopping benefits to evryone who uses any kind of drugs is the answer, instead of the current policy of paying them more because of their 'illness'. Yes folks, addicts can claim Disability Living Allowance.

To me the weed smoking is irrelevant - what I'm trying to understand how the system enables people to claim JSA for 9yrs!
    Forum Member
    My heart goes out to those who want to work and can't find jobs and perhaps it's now time once and for all to close the doors to all and sundry coming here to get benefits.

This isn't an immigration issue though. This is a man who chooses not to work and for 9yrs. This isn't about someone wanting to work and not able to due to lack of opportunity.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcoholics and drug addicts. Obviously not those who smoke ordinary cigarettes and enjoy a few drinks.

Why 'obviously'? Who is to judge when a 'few drinks' becomes heavy drinking or alcoholism?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me the weed smoking is irrelevant - what I'm trying to understand how the system enables people to claim JSA for 9yrs!

They are targetting the young kids just out of education to work for free for a time 'to gain experience'. they tried it with my grand-daughter, pestering her all the time, even when she was told she had been successful and was just waiting for a start date for her new job.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Or she should fight against the bedroom tax and not worry about earning money.

After all the bedroom tax only came in because people paying private rents wanted to drag other people down to their level.

What a generalisation.
    Forum Member
    I haven't had a stable, paid job for over a year and a half and haven't had any paid work for over 3 months. :(

But at least you want to and are trying. Some it would appear don't want to, and the system apparently allows them to do this. I'm wondering how the system does when my experience was so different.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But at least you want to and are trying. Some it would appear don't want to, and the system apparently allows them to do this. I'm wondering how the system does when my experience was so different.

I know some do. It's always been like that and always will be. But it IS the minority.
    Forum Member
    They are targetting the young kids just out of education to work for free for a time 'to gain experience'. they tried it with my grand-daughter, pestering her all the time, even when she was told she had been successful and was just waiting for a start date for her new job.

Sorry that doesn't explain the man who has not worked for 9yrs out of choice. :confused:
    Forum Member
    I know some do. It's always been like that and always will be. But it IS the minority.

Yes, but how? How does the system enable them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The trick is to try to figure out what information you are not being told.

You know for a fact that JSA now have to prove they are looking for work.

So in the last year this person must have proved they are looking for work, or the Job Center staff have not check.

Either way that is not the person's fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but how? How does the system enable them?

Unless they check our personal internet history and make us wear tracking devices, there's not a lot more they can do.
    Forum Member
    The trick is to try to figure out what information you are not being told.

You know for a fact that JSA now have to prove they are looking for work.

So in the last year this person must have proved they are looking for work, or the Job Center staff have not check.

Either way that is not the person's fault.

I'm actually not looking to blame the person - I'm asking how people can choose not to work for so long whilst on benefits. Which is why I asked if it's the system that is corrupt and allowing people to do this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually not looking to blame the person - I'm asking how people can choose not to work for so long whilst on benefits. Which is why I asked if it's the system that is corrupt and allowing people to do this.

Yes and I have suggested a few ways.

Such as they are not playing the system and this is just hear say.

Or they are not doing a job search and the job center staff are not checking properly.

The only 'damning' evidence so far is that they play on an Xbox and smoke weed.

While I don't condone canabis smoking, some people do smoke it because it helps with pain control or MS.

Also what is wrong with playing on an Xbox or PS3 when you are stuck inside all day because of your condition?
    Forum Member
    Unless they check our personal internet history and make us wear tracking devices, there's not a lot more they can do.

:confused:

But you have to write down what jobs you've applied for, what interviews you've had yes? In 9yrs I would've thought he had also been found jobs to apply for by the Benefits people too. I find it hard to believe that in 9yrs he's never had a job offer from these.

Is the system therefore enabling him to stay on benefits rather than coming down hard on those who choose not to work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:

But you have to write down what jobs you've applied for, what interviews you've had yes? In 9yrs I would've thought he had also been found jobs to apply for by the Benefits people too. I find it hard to believe that in 9yrs he's never had a job offer from these.

Is the system therefore enabling him to stay on benefits rather than coming down hard on those who choose not to work?

Write? :eek:

Get with the times. It's all done via the internet now a days!
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I've never had to do it but do you have to take the jobs or just show your looking but can turn it down or purposely give a bad interview so you won't get it
    Forum Member
    Write? :eek:

Get with the times. It's all done via the internet now a days!

LOL, well I did say when I was on JSA it was some time ago! (showing my age :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, well I did say when I was on JSA it was some time ago! (showing my age :D)

Now a days you, just apply for jobs online and it automatically gets recorded by the job centre. You can apply for like 10 jobs in a minute. Of course that just makes it easier for the employer to go "Delete...Delete...Delete" (Cyberman jokes are not welcome). But still, there's good points to the new system I guess.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm rather baffled by the system. I was finally offered a job after over a year of being unemployed, and before I officially started it and got paid for it, I had to go through two weeks of training (obviously having to pay for transport there and back every day) not to mention paying for a CRB check (and not being able to work until it came back clear aside from shadowing someone else- again paying for transport there and back.) And this was all until I could get my first pay, which wasn't until I'd officially started work there. I'd have to wait for at least a month to get it.

I went to the job centre and was perfectly honest with them that I'd got a job and would be starting work properly in the next month, but until I got paid by them I needed money to live on and to pay for transport to and from training/shadowing/CRB check (£40) etc. Yet they said because I'd got a job, all my money would stop straight away.

How exactly was I supposed to complete the training and pay for a CRB check without any money to my name? I was lucky enough to have a lovely job centre worker who bent the rules slightly and still gave me the £50 I should have got that week. So thankfully I could pay for my CRB and some of the transport. I borrowed the rest from family members.

But I wonder what I would have done if that job centre worker hadn't been so lenient with me, and I hadn't been able to borrow some money from my parents to pay for the train to work. Realistically, I would have had to not buy a train ticket every day and hope I wasn't caught and fined. And I'd have had to beg my employers to let me pay them back for the CRB check (which they probably wouldn't have done due to such a high turnover of staff in the profession I work in.)

I could have just ended up in a situation where they retracted their offer of employment purely because I couldn't afford to attend the training or pay for the CRB check. Which would mean I'd have ended back on the dole and the Government would have had to pay even more money out to me for longer.

So it always really baffles me (and pisses me off) that I constantly hear people bragging about how they're on benefits and have no intention of finding a job. How do they get away with it when I wasn't even allowed money to get to my training for a new job?