Options

Motion Artefacts, New HD Channels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
Forum Member
I have a Toshiba RV753 series TV and am getting motion artefacts on the new Freeview HD channels (specifically, I've noticed it on BBC 4 HD and BBC News HD, haven't looked at others...). The problem manifests itself as "stuttering" - every few seconds it will be as if one or two frames have been dropped. It's particularly noticeable on scenes with a lot of movement (eg panning shots). There is no other degradation to the picture.

I at first suspected the lower transmitter power, but that's been ruled out by an aerial engineer - I'm getting a good signal and the TV is reporting an error rate of 0.

I know the Toshibas had a problem with the original HD broadcasts - they couldn't cope with the mixture of interlaced and progressive frames and flickered badly until there was a TV software upgrade. Is there something different about the way the pictures are coded on the new channels that might be triggering this behaviour in the TV?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Toshiba have any so called "picture enhancement" features? Basically anything in the set-up menus that includes the word Dynamic usually. If so turn them all off. In my experience they only knacker the picture quality and are not worth bothering with. Turning them off would certainly be the first step to take.

I can't say I have noticed any real difference between, say BBC2 and BBC4 HD in terms of image quality and artefacts. Not aware of any stuttering effects as you describe.

Do you have anything else, eg a PVR with Freeview HD, you can compare the TV with? That might point up whether it is a TV problem or something with the broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All of the "enhancements" are turned off. It's noticeable that it's worst with "busy" pictures - there's just been a clip with a football crowd on BBC News and it was like watching a "what the butler saw" machine...

It's perfectly fine with the original Freeview HD channels (BBC 1, BBC 2 and even BBC 3) which leads me to suspect a change in the options being used by the new stat mux.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JPress wrote: »
    I know the Toshibas had a problem with the original HD broadcasts - they couldn't cope with the mixture of interlaced and progressive frames and flickered badly until there was a TV software upgrade. Is there something different about the way the pictures are coded on the new channels that might be triggering this behaviour in the TV?

There shouldn't be. You're right, both PSB 3 (the universal 'HD' mux) and COM 7 (the new 70% of the UK mux) both employ dynamic p/i switching.

The only difference is the BBC/ATOS code and mux PSB3, while Arqiva code and mux COM 7
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which means different coders .......
    But I have not seen problems on a Sony Bravia
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which means different coders .......
    But I have not seen problems on a Sony Bravia

Nor me. I'm told the same manufacturer of coder is used for both muxes, though presumably Arqiva's will be newer hardware ?
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would surprise me if Arqiva were using a different manufacturer to that they use on their other muxes ...... I.e the industry standard .....
    They certainly are using very different subtitle encoders
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only other thing I could think of might be that the effective bit rates were higher, but that seems unlikely given there are the same number of muxed channels on COM 7 and PSB 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've put a short sample created by videoing the TV here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26590349/ToshHiccup.mp4

You can see the jumps in the scrolling caption - they're not caused by the recording process, they're there on the screen...
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can see the jumps in the scrolling caption - they're not caused by the recording process, they're there on the screen...
    The scrolling caption is absolutely fine on my BBC News HD, no jumps at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The launch of the additional HD channels on the same mux (C4+1 HD, 4Seven HD) seems to have resolved this issue.

Perhaps the original channels were using all the available bandwidth (and exceeding the processing power of the decoder) and are now down to more "normal" bitrates?
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are actually using more space now as before around half of the mux was null packets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A longer period of viewing suggests that the problem is merely less frequent, it's still occurring. Back to the drawing board...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problem spread to the original HD mux and became much more prevalent.

Since the set had a 5 year warranty, the repairers were called and have replaced the set's tuner and logic board without avail. So far, more than 5 weeks have elapsed from their first visit without any resolution.

Toshiba are claiming it's a "transmitter problem", despite the repairers taking the set to an adjacent transmitter area and reproducing the problem there.

It has all the hallmarks of the set's software choking on H.264 tweaks that weren't in use when it was first marketed (and were first introduced on the new HD mux and then retrofitted to the original mux), but the manufacturers are adamant it's not their issue.

It looks like the original vendor is going to have to replace the set as Toshiba's best response so far is to offer to supply an identical model (presumably with an identical problem) some time in January.

If they do, I'm going to insist it's not another Toshiba.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... will be posted on this newer thread that addresses the same issue:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2024736
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem, and its very annoying, on my 40rv753b.

Toshiba say: out of warranty its not our problem, get it repaired yourself or ask Amazon for refund.

Amazon say: sorry its out of warranty, not our problem ask Toshiba.

Pass the buck.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon cannot pass the buck, Sale of Goods Act.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget forums, go to the Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    The problem spread to the original HD mux and became much more prevalent.

Since the set had a 5 year warranty, the repairers were called and have replaced the set's tuner and logic board without avail. So far, more than 5 weeks have elapsed from their first visit without any resolution.

Toshiba are claiming it's a "transmitter problem", despite the repairers taking the set to an adjacent transmitter area and reproducing the problem there.

It has all the hallmarks of the set's software choking on H.264 tweaks that weren't in use when it was first marketed (and were first introduced on the new HD mux and then retrofitted to the original mux), but the manufacturers are adamant it's not their issue.

It looks like the original vendor is going to have to replace the setup as Toshiba's best response so far is to offer to supply an identical model (presumably with an identical problem) some time in January.

If they do, I'm going to insist it's not another Toshiba.

It's the transmitters ,in my opinion operated by a bunch of morons .
    It's not rocket science to do it properly .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the transmitters ,in my opinion operated by a bunch of morons .
    It's not rocket science to do it properly .

And you have experience of this as a professional engineer do you?
    By the way you put a space after a comma not before it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And you have experience of this as a professional engineer do you?
    By the way you put a space after a comma not before it.

I am a professional engineer !

Nit picking on my grammar ,is what I come to accept is what jobsworth do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a professional engineer !

Nit picking on my grammar ,is what I come to accept is what jobsworth do.

A professional engineer, I rather doubt that. I have spent my life surrounded by them, civil as well as electronic. Let's just say you don't fit the mould.

Everyone has a right to give their opinions on these forums but there is a difference between giving an opinion and having a silly vendetta against professional organisations such as Arqiva. The fact that their transmitters serve over 60 million people and that complaints, even on DS, are few, shows that they are successful wether you like it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A professional engineer, I rather doubt that. I have spent my life surrounded by them, civil as well as electronic. Let's just say you don't fit the mould.

Everyone has a right to give their opinions on these forums but there is a difference between giving an opinion and having a silly vendetta against professional organisations such as Arqiva. The fact that their transmitters serve over 60 million people and that complaints, even on DS, are few, shows that they are successful wether you like it or not.
    You must work for them
  • Options
    Forum Member

On reflection you are correct.
    I have personal reasons for disliking Arqiva as I have a issue with monopolies and market rigging .
    However these days this is common practise in large organisations and it goes on all around us , the utilities are examples .
    This forum is not the place to vent my frustration ,so I apologise .
    I will focus on just technical issues on any future posts I make and keep my feelings about Arqiva out of DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On reflection you are correct.
    I have personal reasons for disliking Arqiva as I have a issue with monopolies and market rigging .
    However these days this is common practise in large organisations and it goes on all around us , the utilities are examples .
    This forum is not the place to vent my frustration ,so I apologise .
    I will focus on just technical issues on any future posts I make and keep my feelings about Arqiva out of DS.

I'm sure you will have plenty of interesting things to add to these forums. By the way I have never worked for Arqiva although I did spend a year on an attachment to BBC transmitters a very long time ago. I have spent most of my life as a broadcasting engineer, mainly with ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Toshiba RV753 series TV and am getting motion artefacts on the new Freeview HD channels (specifically, I've noticed it on BBC 4 HD and BBC News HD, haven't looked at others...). The problem manifests itself as "stuttering" - every few seconds it will be as if one or two frames have been dropped. It's particularly noticeable on scenes with a lot of movement (eg panning shots). There is no other degradation to the picture.

I at first suspected the lower transmitter power, but that's been ruled out by an aerial engineer - I'm getting a good signal and the TV is reporting an error rate of 0.

Yesterday's a516digital may be relevant to your long standing problem.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/04/video-glitches-on-bbc-freeview-hd.html