Options

Supervisor publicly naming and shaming you

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    That's not very nice. I wouldn't allow it any of the supervisors did it to my staff, it would already be down. The only thing that members of staff know about their work is each other's production rate as it's put up on the notice board. Quite unprofessional for your supervisor to do that.

Just ask for it to be removed.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sometimes wonder whether those who dismiss clear bad practice in the workplace by either disputing the veracity of the account or by telling posters to "man up" are simply being defensive because it is similar to their own behaviours which they try and justify as being acceptable.

If this happened - and I take threads like this at face value because even if it is a fantasy, it may later help someone else - then OP you should re-read Mustabuster and ZZ9 posts upthread; they have good, sensible advice for you. Did it happen? I don't see why not. Some people are stunningly inept in their interactions with others. Just because they are a supervisor doesn't mean they are competent. Just because they can post things on Facebook "walls" with comparitive impunity doesn't mean they can do the same on a real wall in a physical workplace.

Another route for you to take is to call the ACAS helpline and discuss the problem with them. It's free. And they can give you quality advice on your next steps.

Personally, I would not discuss this problem face-to-face with your supervisor. The situation has already gone beyond that. I would either escalate it to HR or your supervisor's manager and if I did communicate by email with the supervisor, I would copy in either her manager or HR.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Your sort of lose credibility by coming on here with this publicly rather than discussing it with her in private.

How does an anonymous internet forum suddenly become discussing it in public?

I've got no idea who this guy is or where he works. Do you?

Anyway, for what it's worth I think that this guy should go to HR with this. It's too serious to hope a quiet word will sort it out.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No employer would ever dare do that . It just wouldn't happen

Companies have disciplinary procedures which have to be followed by the book..

If they are not, the firm can get into hot water...

Imagine walking into the break room at Tesco and there was a notice saying a certain individual had put the beans where the spaghetti hoops should go

It would never happen

Er not really..

I once worked for a retail company where, instead of the Manager having a discussion with me about my work performance - I'd only been there a month or so and was still a bit green about what was expected of me - I suddenly found myself in the office with the Area Manager ( who only appeared in the store for 10 minutes every month ) more or less getting a telling off and a threat of dismissal if I didn't improve. For a young woman who thought she was doing her job OK, it was a bit of a scary experience. I'd had no complaints from the manager herself ( beyond once being asked to put out the **** a bit faster - 4 at a time instead of the 2-3 I was doing - whilst also watching the till for customers ) and no verbal or written warnings before suddenly finding myself sat before the Area Manager.

I can well believe that bullying goes on in many workplaces - rules and regulations be damned - often due to personality clashes and little else.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Take a photo of the notice.

Keep it safe.

That is a good idea and if this is not a one off and it escalates then l'd suggest contacting ACAS for advice: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

This action strikes me as being both unprofessional and poor personnel management.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    So you really think that someone just made that up for the sake of a post count?

There will be rogue managers, supervisors out there that just aint got a clue on how to speak to, or communicate with staff. Couple that with maybe some frustration on their part that the staff are not doing as well as they should, can lead to people forgetting whats right and wrong and targeting individual members of staff 'publicly'.

This is a pretty normal fake story (If it is) compared to some of the lengths people go to for either post counts or perverted pleasures
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I've got no idea who this guy is or where he works. Do you?
    It matters not if we know or not. But someone who they work with may be able to figure it out. Especially, if like some companies, they like to snoop around t'internet looking for apparent breaches of company policy by their employees.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    It matters not if we know or not. But someone who they work with may be able to figure it out. Especially, if like some companies, they like to snoop around t'internet looking for apparent breaches of company policy by their employees.

I just looked at it as someone using the advice forum for its intended purpose...
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you have/or will take a picture of this OP, also put in a fair treatment on the supervisor, this is totally unprofessional and not allowed.

Good luck.
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because supervisors dont put notices up in the break room undermining an employee
    We'll our (now ex) ward manager did something similar. A large notice detailing all sorts of stuff such as who had been off sick in the past few weeks and why.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll our (now ex) ward manager did something similar. A large notice detailing all sorts of stuff such as who had been off sick in the past few weeks and why.

Yes it can happen, I work in retail, and we had a list of the slowest top five till operators go up on the wall, one week, a lot of people laughed at them, an official complaint was put in and the list strangely never went up again.

It does happen.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Reminds of back in the day in Scottish Banking it was (unwritten) policy to present the worst performing member of staff of the previous week with a vegetable to sit on their desk for the week.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2005/aug/17/business.accounts

From memory it only came to light when the father of a very young member of staff had a blazing row in the branch and called the papers in....
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either pull the person to one side quietly and discuss the problem in a private setting, what went wrong, why it went wrong, and how you will prevent it happenning again, or if you have to put a message up, it should be a general notice

Not singling people out.. the workplace is very diverse and while it might seem a petty thing to some, to others that sort of knockback is absolutely detrimental to the employees confidence/self-esteem not to mention its endorsing that sort of attitude amongst co-workers

Trouble is if the person in charge that did it is really that inexperienced/bad at their job you could wager most people would be so scared of job security they don't stand up to it.

I can understand the whole "well way back when/back in the day" from folks that have seen it in the past but we live in different times that behavior is not acceptable

Bang the drum dont bang them into the ground
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    This is a pretty normal fake story (If it is) compared to some of the lengths people go to for either post counts or perverted pleasures

I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things because there will be someone going through a similar problem with a similar incompetent supervisor, so if the thread helps someone else that's a good thing.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    I think this is pretty shocking actually, I would be furious too - is there a HR Manager you can approach? I don't know about breaking any laws but I am pretty sure this isnt in the 'How to treat employees professionally' guide.

Yes, I agree. Wouldn't this come under the heading of creating a toxic environment, or however it's worded?