Orchestrated tactical voting will kill BB.

Comments

• SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's interesting. I didn't realize they started off with a public vote.
    ago.
    Yes,Season 1 was BB pretty much like we have.
    There was a guy called Chicken George whose family and hometown organised a mass campaign to evict the fan favourite HM .
    Wikki says this about the evicted HM.
    On Day 57, Brittany became the fourth HouseGuest to be evicted, receiving 34% of the public vote, despite previously been revealed to be a fan favorite. It was later reported that the family of HouseGuest George Boswell had campaigned for Brittany's eviction, causing much controversy among viewers.

Season 2 changed format,not just because of the rigging votes but also because the first season was not the success they imagined and realised they had to change the show to bring viewers in.
    The controversy over the chicken george vs brittany vote was huge at the time for fans of the show and this led to the idea of taking the vote out of the hands of those outside and creating a whole new format based around housemates replacing the public vote.
  • EssentialParadoEssentialParado Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    A one person system would be ridiculous IMO, it shouldn't be solely on how many fans you have but how PASSIONATE the fans are..

I sincerely hope you don't genuinely believe that.

You're basically saying that those who have more money should get more of a swing over the outcome. Do you honestly feel that's the best voting method? Screw the majority opinion, if a Pauline fan won the lottery the week prior to her eviction she'd still be there and is now a shoe in to win it because her fan is "the most passionate"?!

If people keep making stupid campaigns like the one against Jale and the one against Winston that are out of touch with the majority of people who watch the show, they'll stop watching it and the show will end.
  • freddieaxlfreddieaxl Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puddytat wrote: »
    I didn't even realise there WAS a campaign, I voted to evict Winston because he was a useless article and part of Helen's retinue.

Me neither, tbh people are giving this 'campaign' way too much credit when it was just a handful of fans on here.
  • freddieaxlfreddieaxl Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    I don't think Winston had many fans on here from what I can tell.

Most complaining about tonight's result are the ones who support Team Helen and are anti team Ashleigh ( for want of a better name for the split in the house)

Now I wonder how many of those complaining/moaning tonight will cast an 'anyone to win but' vote in the final or voted for Sam last year to stop either dexter or Gina winning?

Exactly! It's not as though Ashleigh fans are sending out a fake link saying 'call this number for a chance to win a holiday!' with the number leading a vote to evict Jale!

This is just voting! It's how it works!
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beauty of the show is that the public are supposed to decide how the show works and how it pans out. If anything, the Winston out campaign has restored my faith in the show.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the people who vote on the campaigns would probably vote the same way anyway. I don't follow any of these things on twitter either. There is nothing BB related on my timeline :D

In contrast, BB was the only reason I joined Twitter and most of my timeline is BB related:D
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Indeed; it was one of the must unpredictable and exciting eviction nights I can recall for quite some time.

It was absolutely amazing. The power of the Internet, eh !!!

Winston purposely, 'Sat on the fence' to ensure his own popularity. He showed no personality......The nail in his coffin was the ganging up with Helen & co, against Chris - when two of his own group had done exactly the same :confused:

And ......Mark had appropriated part of the extra winnings, just for himself :D
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    freddieaxl wrote: »
    Exactly! It's not as though Ashleigh fans are sending out a fake link saying 'call this number for a chance to win a holiday!' with the number leading a vote to evict Jale!

This is just voting! It's how it works!

That tactic of course is despicable and I remember some John James supporters using it during BB11 and even bragging about it here. >:( I haven't seen any evidence of it being used since (thankfully)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sincerely hope you don't genuinely believe that.

You're basically saying that those who have more money should get more of a swing over the outcome. Like, you honestly think that's the best voting method? Screw the majority opinion, if a single Ash fan won the lottery last week he's now a shoe in to win it because his fan is "the most passionate"?!
    Over the years there have been loads of suggestions that someone will win because they have money behind them. Rex was one I remember: people said that no one had any chance when it came to it, because his rich family would organise a mass vote. It never happens. The winners have not been a wealthy lot: Jay, for example, seemed to come from a background with considerably more money than Aaron. Gina obviously came from a far more affluent background than Sam. And if you want to look at non-related fans, rather than friends or family, it's just the luck of the draw really. Even today, there are over a million viewers of each eviction; if even a third of them vote twice each, that is over 600,000 votes. No individual is likely to sway things. (I tried myself btw, when there was a free all-housemates vote in the Sun. I thought that Cameron should have more than the miserable little vote - less than 1% - he had at the time. So I sat and voted and voted and voted, I should think hundreds of times; after which I had increased his vote by 0.1%.)
    SG-1 wrote: »
    Season 2 changed format,not just because of the rigging votes but also because the first season was not the success they imagined and realised they had to change the show to bring viewers in.
    The controversy over the chicken george vs brittany vote was huge at the time for fans of the show and this led to the idea of taking the vote out of the hands of those outside and creating a whole new format based around housemates replacing the public vote.

Thanks for that. I do remember series 1 of US BB being poorly received. And I can see why people disliked what happened; there is something a bit depressing imo in the most popular housemate being evicted early because of a very concentrated campaign against them. People are happy about last night because the two evictees seemed to have almost no fans on here; but if one of the top 3 had been booted out because of a concentrated campaign by fans of one of the other housemates, I think a lot of those so delighted would suddenly find that they didn't like the idea much at all.
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tactical voting by fans is not what bothers me.
    I see nothing wrong in trying to vote tactfully to save a HM..However,theres 2 things that I cannot stand and IMO is ruining this series ( yes I know its been rubbish anyway but )

1.The completely pathetic vote HM A out because s/he is friends with HM B.

That is a totally ludicrous reason to evict somebody.
    Evict them to save your favorite or evict them because you dont like the way they have behaved in the house,but voting just because of association is pathetic..I noticed Glyn Wise chipping in with his vote winston out because Helen is a bully,as I told him in that case he should have been evicted based on his association with HMs that bullied shabazz.

2. I am fed up with the likes of BBSPY who have quite a following orchestrating mass campaigns to protect BBSPYs favorite HM.
    He is not the only one but he is the most prominent.
    As I said by all means vote tactical to save your fav hm but dont be organising campaigns or jumping on bandwagons..I have always looked to BBSPY for news and fair coverage but this year has been nothing but an Ashleigh campaign machine and has lost all credibility for me.

In the days before FB/Twitter there was not much harm done by forum campaigns but twitter/facebook campaigns are much larger and when an influential fansite like bbspy can control so much influence on voting by campaigning for 1 particular hm then imo the voting means nothing anymore and Id be happy to see public voting go.
    This campaigning rubbish is the very reason BBUSA changed its format to no public vote on evictions.

Oh I do agree with you, its not just BBspy either, we also had BBXtra and couch potato's with the same campaign, and it is rife across all RTV programmes not just BB.

It just takes all the fun out of watching and of course as some people on here say it's also the manipulation by producers as well, this year has been quite awful....plain and simple is how it should be and going back to basic's not all this twist and double twist crap they keep rolling out.>:(
    Forum Member
    Where has this Winston support came from all of a sudden lol?:blush:

Have you been watching the same show the rest of us have? Winston's eviction was a complete shock to everybody, he was the only one getting cheers by the audience, and he left the house to cheers too. Yes, he may have been disliked by some but that was not the person the majority wanted to see evicted.

It's going to be the most ridiculous and confusing Big Brother ever if the actual winner gets more boos from the crowds than Winston did.
  • JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good result last night -only sorry I never placed a bet.Winston clearly either did not have the fanbase everyone thought he had or his fans simply did not vote enough making the classic mistake of assuming he would be safe.Either way a fair result IMO.Personally I don't think Ashleigh is the sure thing for the win many think-she knows she's popular thanks to BB and she is young..as the week goes on and she gets closer and closer to that prize for sure excitement and nerves at the prize that is so close could cause her to mess up.I personally think Christopher is the likely winner but I'd be happy with a top 3 of Christopher,Chris,Ashleigh in any order..all good housemates IMO.
    Forum Member
    Over the years there have been loads of suggestions that someone will win because they have money behind them. Rex was one I remember: people said that no one had any chance when it came to it, because his rich family would organise a mass vote. It never happens. The winners have not been a wealthy lot: Jay, for example, seemed to come from a background with considerably more money than Aaron. Gina obviously came from a far more affluent background than Sam. And if you want to look at non-related fans, rather than friends or family, it's just the luck of the draw really. Even today, there are over a million viewers of each eviction; if even a third of them vote twice each, that is over 600,000 votes. No individual is likely to sway things. (I tried myself btw, when there was a free all-housemates vote in the Sun. I thought that Cameron should have more than the miserable little vote - less than 1% - he had at the time. So I sat and voted and voted and voted, I should think hundreds of times; after which I had increased his vote by 0.1%.).
    I was giving a hypothetical far-fetched situation that one rich person could manipulate the vote. While that's certainly not impossible it's really to just highlight the issue with a multiple vote system. I shudder to think how the country would be if you could buy extra votes in a general election for £100 each.

I firmly believe the voting should work off general consensus, not whoever screams loudest.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    puddytat wrote: »
    Exactly how I feel, Helen's pass has killed it for me this year. You can't beat the original format of the show. Straightforward nominations, no twists, no secret rooms, no gimmicks, diary room completely confidential, never to be shown to the other HMs. There's been way too much jiggery pokery in recent years. Get back to basics for a decent series.
    Much as I agree that a back to basics BB would be great, I honestly don't think that it would work in today's world. We live in a world where we are shown what's going to happen in a TV show before it happens (each section of BB has a preview of what's coming up in the next part, the assumption being that we need titillating and have short concentration spans I presume), where people want to be excited, thrilled, need adrenalin rushes more than ever (in my own very humble opinion of course).

I've noticed, not just during this year's BB but over the last few years, that any clip which shows housemates sitting around having a relatively normal, average conversation, generally has comments remarking on how boring the clip is, how dull. They need to find a balance between the old BB and a new style, without seemingly forgetting the essence of Big Brother, allowing natural drama to occur. This last task regarding the money, for me that struck me as fairly old-school Big Brother, as much as it is manipulation, it's designed to show another side to the housemates' character.

I do think they need to strip it back a bit, re-create some of the old rules - Diary Room being sacrosanct, punishments being stricter (some people think the latest punishment of Helen, Ash and Winston - the stocks - was cruel and punishing the whole house unfair, but that's how BB used to be), less outside influence/information. I would also want to actually get to know the housemates more - I feel I know very little about the, although they obviously know a lot about each other; even housemates who we see as not liking each other seem to have normal, every day conversations about their lives with each other.

Not sure what I'm saying exactly, I guess I'm saying yes, strip it back a bit with the outside influence and be stricter, allow more natural drama and some character development, have normal nominations (how many of those did we have this year - about 3!) but obviously something has to change (from the old format) as there was obviously a reason it declined in popularity and Channel 4 decided not to continue with Big Brother.
  • leon_blayerleon_blayer Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    i've liked this year's tactical voting, the evictions have been really unpredictable
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »
    i disagree I think it makes it much more fun to not have it always go the way the producers want. makes it more fun when anything can happen with power of the people.

Exactly, the producers have tried to manipulate this show all the way through this series. Last night it was about getting back to "who goes you decide" we decided not them.
  • spiralstaticspiralstatic Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe they can be so unaware of the social media campaigns. Surely BB knows why Winston was evicted, but will they want to acknowledge it?

The success of these campaigns could kill off BB altogether. Great fun no doubt for the twitter and facebook crowd to flex their muscles but the bulk of the viewers who only throw in the odd vote will lose interest if they feel its being hijacked by orchestrated tactical voting.

BB have brought it on themselves by having too many twists that took power away from the public, starting with the golden pass of course. I'd like to know if these tactics on their part have increased or decreased revenue from the vote lines.

Having said that, there is something about these campaigns that leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but I'm sure Ashleigh, Chris and Christopher fans are very happy with it.

I admit I did find it funny that Winston left last night, but the bad taste it leaves for me is that it's quite a cruel thing to do - to campaign to get a person out of the show primarily because the one you like will have more chance of winning rather than because of anything negative about them. The same if you think someone might win and you don't want that so instead of voting for your favourite you vote for whoever could beat them just because you hate them less. I don't think it's the nicest aspect of humanity and if it were translated in a way that those in the house displayed these kind of tactics I don't think it'd be looked kindly upon.

The fact that such campaigns seem to work more and more easily suggests how few people really do vote. I wonder whether it even reaches the tens-of-thousands figures of votes per housemate for a normal eviction...??? I would surmise not??
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The funny thing is I didn't know there was a 'campaign' either - I follow a lot of people who watch BB, they were mostly voting for Pav and Mark. I had assumed that the rally to campaign had fallen flat, just a few people on here hoping for one and encouraging others to mention it on Facey. I haven't been on Fb for a week or more to see whether anybody was, indeed, campaigning to get Winston out, but I didn't see much of that on my Twitter feed.
  • mumof4mumof4 Posts: 3,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first year that i have not tuned into bb like i used to as i think its been the worst one ever. Even the eviction show panto is so much worse then it used to be crowd are told who to boo and who to cheer. And yes i know this cause i have been to many many eviction nights just not this year cause i really not gelled with any of the housemates at all, I think all the money should go to charity cause none of them deserve it.
  • dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,949
    Forum Member
    Tactical voting by fans is not what bothers me.
    I see nothing wrong in trying to vote tactfully to save a HM..However,theres 2 things that I cannot stand and IMO is ruining this series ( yes I know its been rubbish anyway but )

1.The completely pathetic vote HM A out because s/he is friends with HM B.

That is a totally ludicrous reason to evict somebody.
    Evict them to save your favorite or evict them because you dont like the way they have behaved in the house,but voting just because of association is pathetic..I noticed Glyn Wise chipping in with his vote winston out because Helen is a bully,as I told him in that case he should have been evicted based on his association with HMs that bullied shabazz.

2. I am fed up with the likes of BBSPY who have quite a following orchestrating mass campaigns to protect BBSPYs favorite HM.
    He is not the only one but he is the most prominent.
    As I said by all means vote tactical to save your fav hm but dont be organising campaigns or jumping on bandwagons..I have always looked to BBSPY for news and fair coverage but this year has been nothing but an Ashleigh campaign machine and has lost all credibility for me.

In the days before FB/Twitter there was not much harm done by forum campaigns but twitter/facebook campaigns are much larger and when an influential fansite like bbspy can control so much influence on voting by campaigning for 1 particular hm then imo the voting means nothing anymore and Id be happy to see public voting go.
    This campaigning rubbish is the very reason BBUSA changed its format to no public vote on evictions.

Add to that the even more pathetic don't vote someone out because they are friends of X
    What is more insidious about this campaign is the alliance of three HMs supporters. Even if a supporter likes Ashleigh but really dislikes Chris above anyone else up for eviction. they are encouraged not to vote out Chris as this ridiculous alliance pact dictates this and these fans call this some code of honour between them.^_^ It appears, that it doesn't matter what that HM does wrong then, (From Chris behaviour the last few weeks he definitely deserved to go before Winston) if the alliance is supporting them.>:(
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly all those campaigns do is attract people of a like mind. They do not influence others to vote, ergo the vote was going that way regardless.
  • NLoyallNLoyall Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there was a campaign to get rid of Winston was it because they all saw it as Ashleigh's biggest competition? If so that's is even worse. Who wants to be crowned a winner when all the competition is removed? I would rather be crowned the winner having being up against my biggest competition than because some campaign was run to remove the competition at the earliest opportunity.
  • robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    I agree that the taking the power away from the public with free pass to finals etc is bad

but as for the actual content put out by the house mates I think its one of the best series for a long time . I had began to think BB was getting boring but this year rattled me enough to throw several things at the TV :)

Its all been about helen though....the only reason for ashleigh or chris still to be in there is for their hatred of helen.
    Too much info passed to the housemates too many times...they have already worked out that winston and ashleigh were the top two. On top of that a couple of thousand facebook dwellers skivvy the result and vote winston out, in favour of ashleigh. To think that JADE GOODY GOT A MILLION VOTES AND ONLY CAME FOURTH. This years winner only needs about a tenth of that mark to lift the undeserved 100k.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, the producers have tried to manipulate this show all the way through this series. Last night it was about getting back to "who goes you decide" we decided not them.

But surely the answer to that is to have less manipulation, not to have ways that occasionally the public get round the manipulation. I mean in the last CBB it WAS funny seeing Jasmine giving immunity to Linda and Casey instead of Luisa and Lee, as she was obviously meant to, but really BB should not have allowed her to give anyone immunity at all.
  • rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was giving a hypothetical far-fetched situation that one rich person could manipulate the vote. While that's certainly not impossible it's really to just highlight the issue with a multiple vote system. I shudder to think how the country would be if you could buy extra votes in a general election for £100 each.

I firmly believe the voting should work off general consensus, not whoever screams loudest.

Ashleigh Chris and Christopher have by far the highest amount of fans clearly , or they wouldn't have been able to get winston out , if winston fans wanted him to stay they should have voted lol

Honestly who even cares it's just big brother not the government