The state of the UK Charts

SunnyBearsSunnyBears Posts: 70
Forum Member
Does anyone else think that the charts lately are just awful?

Maybe I am getting old at an ancient 34 but I just don't listen to the radio anymore. With a few exceptions it's just manufactured digital crap. Don't even get me started on Wanted/1D etc etc.

I like a mix of music from country through to dance (I can even stand some Pitbull for a good gym tune).

I just finished reading 'Listen Out Loud' the Ron Weisner Biography so maybe I am thinking about current music more cause he reminded me in his book about good production of tracks featuring real live musicians.

These are my rambling thoughts this Thursday morning.

Comments

• AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio totalitarianism coupled with itunes has destroyed the charts in the UK.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SunnyBears wrote: »

Is it not Wednesday?

To keep on-topic: I've paid very little attention to the charts since I was about 14, so I think you've lasted very well to get to 34 and only question them now.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I thought once you hit 14 or younger you care little about charts.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe I am getting old at an ancient 34 but I just don't listen to the radio anymore. With a few exceptions it's just manufactured digital crap. Don't even get me started on Wanted/1D etc etc.

I like a mix of music from country through to dance (I can even stand some Pitbull for a good gym tune).

I just finished reading 'Listen Out Loud' the Ron Weisner Biography so maybe I am thinking about current music more cause he reminded me in his book about good production of tracks featuring real live musicians.

Please point to a time when the UK charts were a bastion of musical awesomeness. Was it Black Lace of the endless streams of novelty songs in the 70s? The charts has always been mostly full of gash, disposable radio snippets used to sell a product. Most of it junk, the odd gem here or there.

At some point in many peoples lives they realise that if they want to actually listen to real music, they are likely going to have to leave the plastic safety of the Top 40. Branch out and you will never look back.

(although if you get into indie rock, you have to accept no other genre group will like you haha)
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have said that about modern music in nearly every decade
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they still have music charts? I thought they ended with the demise of Top Of The Pops.
  • cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are songs in there that have been there for over 30 weeks. Surely anyone who wanted a copy of a song would have downloaded it a long time ago.

I wish there was a way of compiling an, oh I don't know, adult, old style, type chart - call it what you will. Then we can see how the older artists who put out albums, and singles are faring. For example Deacon Blue have new product out. Like them or not, it's very difficult for them to penetrate the genres making up the present chart, get exposure, get more sales, get higher charts placings and so the circle continues.

I suppose the likes of Spotify etc makes it needless to 'own' music - just stream it at will. And yes I know that streaming now influences chart placings.

I am a function DJ, who carries chart material 'just in case'. I end up mainly playing the tried and tested from the 60s to 80s, with not even the younger dancers asking for 'chart stuff'.

It must be demoralising to have put together what you consider a great album only to find your audience's awareness of it shrinking due to lack of exposure.

The great days of the 70s chart rundown and it's effects are long gone......

By the way I'm 61. :o
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member

You're just one year older than me, and I've completely given up on the UK charts this year. The whole pre-order for endless weeks before release have killed all the joy from the charts. It's become that bad, you pretty much know what's going to be the next #1 based on it's pre-order iTunes chart position weeks in advance.

That said, it's not all bad news. Next week's UK #1 (Prayer In C) is already one of my fave singles of the year thanks mainly to discovering the track via all the european countries where it's been #1 for the last two months.

I will be genuinely surprised if Taylor Swift (with no pre-order sales and basically been released worldwide OA/OS) manages to make #1 in the UK this coming Sunday. Not that I like the song, but it'll be probably the only chart topper of the year that I wouldn't have predicted happening 2 weeks ago. :p
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I said on another website recently that, while I knew I'd fall out of love with the charts one day, I always assumed it would be because of some drastic new direction in music that sounds like some impossible noise to my ageing ears - maybe some sort of mad 200mph dubstep/drum & bass speedcore I find bizarre to even nod my head to.

I'm a bit dismayed that this instead doesn't seem to be the case, and it's all very much the same as ever just blander and more repetitive.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People only ever remember the good songs from a certain time period, rather than the bad ones. Hence why the charts are all of a sudden 'terrible'. However if you look back 5 years nobody remembers the generic rubbish which was coming out but some incredible songs which are going to be remembered for decades.

It's the same for every year in music.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    People only ever remember the good songs from a certain time period, rather than the bad ones. Hence why the charts are all of a sudden 'terrible'. However if you look back 5 years nobody remembers the generic rubbish which was coming out but some incredible songs which are going to be remembered for decades.

It's the same for every year in music.

That's actually bang on.

I'm also aware that while my favourite year for music ever was 1999, there's a ton of people who absolutely despised everything in the charts even then - similarly there's those out there who will always remember this year as some incredible golden pinnacle that will never be beaten. All subjective, no one right and no one wrong.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    cliveb2005 wrote: »
    There are songs in there that have been there for over 30 weeks. Surely anyone who wanted a copy of a song would have downloaded it a long time ago....

I think the songs hanging around for over 30 weeks in the singles charts these days is odd. According to the most recent chart rules for the Official Charts Company, the eligibility is based on genuine purchases by genuine consumers. I could understand it more if people still had to go out and buy physical copies, but seeing as people can buy the thing from the comfort of their own living room, I can't fathom why things are hanging around so long. I just had a quick look to check, and low and behold 'Happy' is STILL in the top 40.
    cliveb2005 wrote: »
    I am a function DJ, who carries chart material 'just in case'. I end up mainly playing the tried and tested from the 60s to 80s, with not even the younger dancers asking for 'chart stuff'...

I did that for a bit a few years ago myself. The problem I found then (this was early-mid 2000s) was that a lot of the then current music was so disposable and had no real staying power. You'd be able to possibly get away with playing most modern tracks at an average function for a month or two but after that they'd just be useless.
    There would be one or two tracks from a year that would be useful after they'd been out, though sadly (in my case) they'd be things like 'Sex Bomb,' 'Rock DJ' and 'Reach.'

Admittedly private parties are typically an affair where you need to cater for such a broad range that you stick to tried and tested because it'll work (in most cases). However, I think it's also fair to say that if you'd have been DJing in earlier decades, there would have been far more modern tracks at the time that would have been instant successes and go-to tracks within weeks of coming out. than say you would find DJing for private parties now.

Let's take the 1980s to compare as an example. You can go to just about any year from that decade and pick out tracks that would have been played to death the year they were out, most likely when DJs would have been asked for something modern. However, a considerable number of tracks would have quickly gone on to become go-to choices for a lot of functions every year afterwards. Some years are bumper for them - let's look at 1983:

Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
    Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
    UB40 - Red Red Wine
    Lionel Richie - All Night Long
    KC & The Sunshine Band - Give It Up
    Irene Cara - Flashdance
    Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
    Wham! - Club Tropicana
    Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier
    Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
    Spandau Ballet - True / Gold
    Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love (know it was released in late '82, but it was a #1 in January 83).

I would have probably played at least 6 of those at most functions, and that would have been some 18 years+ after they'd been released.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    I think the songs hanging around for over 30 weeks in the singles charts these days is odd. According to the most recent chart rules for the Official Charts Company, the eligibility is based on genuine purchases by genuine consumers. I could understand it more if people still had to go out and buy physical copies, but seeing as people can buy the thing from the comfort of their own living room, I can't fathom why things are hanging around so long. I just had a quick look to check, and low and behold 'Happy' is STILL in the top 40.

On top of that, the OCC have now incorporated data from streaming sites into the UK charts.

If a song is streamed 1 million times in a week, that is now considered equal to 10,000 sales that are added to all download sales. However, what if there are 200k (on average) who stream the same song 5 times a day, for a month. The song will have made 50k in sales in a month, and it's basically just the same people streaming the song over and over again.

Also because UK radio are so reluctant to be at the forefront on new music, there is less choice in general for people who listen to the radio, and even people who watch music channels regularly. If you look at Radio 1 and Capital FM, the chances are they both played more or less the exact same songs all day today. So this limits peoples tastes - they will only buy what they know exists, and because UK radio playlists are so limited this is why you get songs like Happy still in the top 40 when it's already sold 1.8 million copies. The reason why it's selling so much is down to the same small amount of people streaming the song several times a day. Quite why anyone would want to listen to Happy now is beyond me. I'm sick of hearing it, just the first few seconds of the song and I change the channel.

Like I say, it's artificial sales. If I bought 20k copies of a CD single, it'd probably be disqualified. Then again, I don't think the OCC have ever really thought about the complications to their own chart rules and regulations.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Please point to a time when the UK charts were a bastion of musical awesomeness. Was it Black Lace of the endless streams of novelty songs in the 70s? The charts has always been mostly full of gash, disposable radio snippets used to sell a product. Most of it junk, the odd gem here or there.

At some point in many peoples lives they realise that if they want to actually listen to real music, they are likely going to have to leave the plastic safety of the Top 40. Branch out and you will never look back.

(although if you get into indie rock, you have to accept no other genre group will like you haha)

Gosh, we've been through this discussion so many times.
    Actually the charts in the 60s and much of the 70s were full of great, well written and very diverse music. Novelty music which actually has a history that predates recorded music is less represented in modern charts but that might just be an indicator of a loss of collective humour. ;-)

The chart is overpopulated with homogeneous, well produced rather bland pop most of which is quite listenable but just not very interesting. Cutting edge new wave rock, soul, disco, electronic and reggae music made the charts in the late 70s in to the early 80s.

This trite, it's always been the same doesn't do justice to the history of UK pop.
    Looking back from this era with its multifarious ways of distributing and consuming music is quite dissimilar from earlier times. Also the youth movements and major genre development of the past is not reflected in modern music.
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the charts were full of Brit-Pop things were different. Everybody liked it, young or old. All we've had since is complete rubbish.

Don't get me started on that Happy song....bloody awful piece of dirge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »

Yes, but looking back they weren't always right.
    It's quite fascinating that the decade that has unearthed the most interesting music on this site is a thread dedicated to the 60s.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »

this.

spot on. theres nothing new bemoaning the charts or modern music.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Yes, but looking back they weren't always right.
    It's quite fascinating that the decade that has unearthed the most interesting music on this site is a thread dedicated to the 60s.

true, but as the threads op, the 60's had more detractors to modern music then any decade since. pop music in the 60's appealled to a very small demograph, which grew as music developed over time. pop in the 60's was little more then niche, with hardly any teenyboppers and hardly anyone over mid 20's being fans.

never before or since has there been generational fights over music (mods n rockers), alot of 60's pop was disliked by the previous generation. (and that has gone on ever since but not to such extreme levels).

... and of course you dont know whether or not there will be a similar thread in 50 years time dedicated to the early 00's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    true, but as the threads op, the 60's had more detractors to modern music then any decade since. pop music in the 60's appealled to a very small demograph, which grew as music developed over time. pop in the 60's was little more then niche, with hardly any teenyboppers and hardly anyone over mid 20's being fans.

never before or since has there been generational fights over music (mods n rockers), alot of 60's pop was disliked by the previous generation. (and that has gone on ever since but not to such extreme levels).

... and of course you dont know whether or not there will be a similar thread in 50 years time dedicated to the early 00's.

What I'm trying to contest is this. There is a tendency to say that there has always been people who critique the charts and people who say there has always always been good and bad music there but that doesn't mean that all these periods are the same. That glosses over the rich texture of the pop music culture that has developed over the last 50 years and more.

For example, as you say there was a greater dichotomy between the tastes of the young and old in earlier generations. There was also significant major genres appearing in the charts of the 60s and 70s. it isn't surprising that was reflected in the diversity of music in the charts of the times.

Those generational difference aren't as great now, youth culture is less rebellious, there is a longer history of pop now and a greater interest in retro sounds, technology has changed sound reproduction and distribution. You might expect the charts to be more homogeneous in those circumstances. And I think it is.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought once you hit 14 or younger you care little about charts.

A bit later for me. Chart music was still a topic of discussion when I was in the sixth form in the late '80s. I'd definitely ceased to care about/take notice of it by about 1990, though, and consequently know next to nothing about stuff released after that.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres so many random dance songs dominating our charts. I hate it!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be so lazy, broaden your horizons and see a wealth of creative music in the UK and beyond.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    As many others have said, it's a sad case in the charts with Pharrell - Happy.

The song itself is pretty good, but why is it still in the charts? The song entered the charts around Christmas time and now we're in the last part of summer and it's STILL there.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We get the chart we deserve. People bought all that crap. Are there loads of good songs that people aren't buying?
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    I think streaming has a huge part to play. A lot of songs are sticking around even longer, especially "Happy". Don't get me wrong, it's a decent track but isn't it time to die?

Adding to that, radio has a very narrow playlist in terms of songs, artists and genre. There was a link a few months back about how Radio 1 compile their playlist, by using Twitter followers ffs! For anyone wanting to make it big, their chances are practically non-existent as record labels dictate who to play.

I do agree about mainstream music being homogenous - not the best example, but look at these boybands around. 1D, 5 Seconds of Summer, Union J and The Vamps. ALL are the same in styles of music, even image! Back in the 1990s/2000s you had the likes of East 17 (who had an edge), Take That (ballads), Boyzone (cover versions) and some lesser examples who were a bit of a both. Now a **** packet seperates the four examples. The endless house crap is annoying, as all of it sounds the same too.