Kitchen Gadgets

13»

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best - food processor/blender. Don't have any worsts really, I have a small kitchen, so I try to keep gadgets to minimum.

Also a coffee machine that uses coffee beans was a godsend :D A bit expensive, but coffee it's been making for 10 years now is great.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    My egg steamer which I bought from Lidls for under a tenner is my most useful and commonly used gadget, fast , hassle free with the bonus of an alarm and a warmer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Best: Bamix (used nearly every day and got me into cake making and whipping up loads of different sauces), Actifry (used for a heck of a lot more than chips!), Halogen Oven (used for everything needing an oven except very large items)

Worst: Microwave (used for softening butter on the rare occasion and warming the dinner plate pads)
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Best and most used is combi microwave. Why wait 15 minutes for my gas oven to get to temperature when the combi does it in about 4 ?

Next most used is my Chantry knife sharpener. Quick and easy to use and very effective.

Worst gadgets are a mandolin (works but difficult to clean) and a toasted sandwich maker (ditto as mandolin) and I don't care for the sandwiches. Both at back of pantry and will probably end up in bin.
  • newbabynewbaby Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: my Remoska, which I use daily.

Worst: Smoothie maker - a fiddle and faff to use, a brute to wash up and, quite literally, a waste of space (it now lives in the cupboard under the stairs, waiting to be re-homed).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............mistaken thread
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamplight wrote: »
    Best: Bamix (used nearly every day and got me into cake making and whipping up loads of different sauces), Actifry (used for a heck of a lot more than chips!), Halogen Oven (used for everything needing an oven except very large items)

Worst: Microwave (used for softening butter on the rare occasion and warming the dinner plate pads)

i seen the Bamix on Ideal world a few times and think are they really as good as they look.

Looked at the actifry, but refuse to pay over a £100 for a fryer, went to B&M and got myself a small one litre fryer for £14 instead. for the amount of time I use it, that is enough.

Halogen oven is a god send, since i am the only one who lives here, it is a waste of time putting the large oven on,

I don't even have a Microwave any more, mine went belly up last year and I never replaced it
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool I will have a look, I just didn't like the plastic jug (it looks to be plastic anyway) I prefer glass - although I have found glass ones tend to have problems of their own :)

Vitamix jug is made from the same kind of material as aircraft windows - if you wanted to you can stamp on it and it will not break.:D One of the reasons I bought mine - have dropped and smashed a glass one.

My best - - Vitamix - Actifry and another vote for the Remoska plus a s/s steamer for gas rings.

Worst - Bamix - the blades are too exposed - prefer my Braun. Ricer still in its box after quite a few years - used maybe twice, messy to wash up. Le Crueset pans - didn't like them and gave them to my son.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Vitamix jug is made from the same kind of material as aircraft windows - if you wanted to you can stamp on it and it will not break.:D One of the reasons I bought mine - have dropped and smashed a glass one.

My best - - Vitamix - Actifry and another vote for the Remoska plus a s/s steamer for gas rings.

Worst - Bamix - the blades are too exposed - prefer my Braun. Ricer still in its box after quite a few years - used maybe twice, messy to wash up. Le Crueset pans - didn't like them and gave them to my son.
    We have two great gadgets in common!

I forgot to add my third favourite gadget, a portable induction hob.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of portable induction hobs - we stay at my MIL's and she has a dreadful electric cooker which I detest so bought thoses.

Also forgot (and I don't know why) my Tefal Jamie Oliver electric pressure cooker. It is brilliant.

ecco66 - you sound like me - if it has a plug on I have got one :D:D
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: my actifry, mini chopper and slow cooker

worst: my breadmaker, i am just not very good at using it - it has way too many programs! Although this has given me the incentive to give it another bash.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best - Food processor, used every week

Worst - Electric tin opener. A present which was too fiddly to bother with.

Question on gadgets - Does anyone out there have a meat mincer they could recommend ?
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    I have a couple of portable induction hobs - we stay at my MIL's and she has a dreadful electric cooker which I detest so bought thoses.

Also forgot (and I don't know why) my Tefal Jamie Oliver electric pressure cooker. It is brilliant.

ecco66 - you sound like me - if it has a plug on I have got one :D:D
    Yep, jazzyjazzy - two peas in a pod! I have never lived down confessing that I bought an electric plate warmer once :D