Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Acorn now has a Doc Martin website. They have a poll on their home page. Sound familiar?! :confused:

http://www.docmartinfan.com/
    I agree about the clone thing, but I'm confused. They put a lot of work into creating this site. Why? Is it a vote of confidence in the sustainability of DM? Or are they trying to pump things up because sales are waning? If it's the latter, why aren't they promoting the site (you can't find it on Google)? So how are they getting all their visitors (see the numbers on the vote on the question)?

So after someone answers these questions, please tell me how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Well I am not sure about their motivation but I am really sure it is about money. They will probably get stuck into doc martin on line and docmartinseries5.blogspot.com very soon and try to close them down.

Acorn were the ones who actively started closing down all the you tube sites. They are greedy. I don't like them.
    marchrand wrote: »
    Acorn should realize that the DM series are available through other sources in the US at better prices. Also, I think the public is fickle--no new episodes presently, so, yes, the sales are waning for the time being. I get their Acorn catalog every now and then and have written to them to resurrect some of MC's other works he has done in the past and offer them in their catalogs. Also, I think a line of new DM products could be offered that are decent, not with that awful picture of the fish hanging from his mouth. :eek::eek: (There have been some really good suggestions posted here. ) I got an e-mail, gosh it must have been over a year ago, that they have passed my request on to whatever department--in other words, go away!!
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, I doubt they made up a website for the 20 or so active contributors to this Forum who discuss the show ad infinitum, in amazing and innovative ways, because we like to. :)

I think they are probably preparing for the new shooting schedule, and getting things ready for April, when filming begins and the hype can be magnified. I agree they have no right to "shut down" a person's own website, so docmartinonline.net should not be in danger. They are instead trying to copy it out of existence.

Angels are merely messengers from G-d; they are only allowed to do one thing at one time. They cannot multitask. Not sure about the pin thing. ;)

I saw the Acorn site a few days ago. I'm sure it's all about sales; all the TV shows have websites done by the producers/distributors nowadays in order to promote the show. I'm surprised it's been so long - I've never understood why ITV haven't done a proper DM site.
    One good thing is that Acorn may get some more merchandise available. BP have never understood how much money they could make, Acorn will. Maybe we'll finally get some DM/LG calenders, t-shirts and mugs.
    I would be surprised if they tried to go after docmartinonline or the blogs. We deliberately set up the website without ads so we don't make any money from it. All we do is provide them with free advertising for their show. Why try to close down a money-maker?
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link still works for me. It can also be downloaded on iTunes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014m6rc

Thanks, Connie. The Desert Island link has now worked for me as well. I guess I just wasn't doing something right to begin with, to get past some of the "safety" software my computer is set up with.

What a delightful evening I had listening to that mellifluous voice and the stories he brought forth.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I decided this morning to email the Longcross Hotel and ask what scenes had been filmed there. Got a nice reply within an hour. He said that one scene was supposed to be a restaurant in Truro and he believes another scene was in one of the bedrooms.

I immediately thought about a restaurant scene that I had not identified. The one with Edith and the head doc from London - the lunch that Martin never made because he was attending to Marigold's husband. At first I thougt that scene might have been filmed at the Headlands Hotel which had been used for Radio Portwenn, Wilson Hotel and the restaurant where Martin and Edith had lunch. But I had already determined that it didn't appear to be there, so it was on my undetermined list. After the email I went back to the scene and compared it to the bar at Longcross and bingo! Another one bites the dust :D

I took a look at some of their bedroom pics online and nothing jumped out at me. I'll have to just keep it in mind as I go through episodes.

One that has really stumped me though is the Crab and Lobster in S4. In S2, they used the Horseshoe Inn in Tresparrett for most of the interiors. Any other time we have seen the interior it was shot in The Golden Lion. But in S4, think of the scene when Louisa enters the pub pregnant for the first time. Also the scenes with Joe and his brother in the pub and with Al trying to make Pauline think he was with his mates. This is in a much larger pub and I have looked all over online to try to find it. In a couple of the scenes with Louisa going up to her room there is a nice staircase with wrought iron scrolling. That one is making me a little crazy. I would think it was fairly close to Port Isaac since about half the cast was in those scenes.

Oh, and another one making me crazy is the hotel where Martin meets Edith. We have established the exterior shots, but the interior is giving me fits. It is very distinctive with all the dark paneling in the lobby and in the hallways to the rooms. I have tried a lot of different searches for anywhere in UK but have come up empty. One thing really frustrating is that Martin walks right by a sign in the lobby that appears to have the hotel name and I thought it might say "Regency" something. I searched for that but was not able to find that interior. But now I am not sure if that is really what it says. Arghhhhhh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New chapter of Fanning the Flames now up: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7808596/1/Fanning-the-Flames
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I'm in the middle of doing a little organizing sets. I just did one with MC and music related pics. I added a few new ones also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62587488@N02/sets/72157632472066127/

Speaking of music: Have you all heard MC singing the theme song for the children's show "Merlin the Magical Puppy"? (He also does the voice of Merlin.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6FtZk8Iq0s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I don't know if they can legally close down "our" sites, but the Acorn one is clearly a rip-off, and will probably ramp up as filming gets closer to build demand for Acorn products.

I wonder if it would be better or worse to point out to Anglotopia the existence of docmartinonline.net and blogspot?

It's good to know they can't have a private site put down. I was concerned about photos, fan vids and links to episodes on YouTube.

I wouldn't draw acorn's attention to either site because 1) it's better to be safe than sorry and 2) I think they already know. :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    I saw the Acorn site a few days ago. I'm sure it's all about sales; all the TV shows have websites done by the producers/distributors nowadays in order to promote the show. I'm surprised it's been so long - I've never understood why ITV haven't done a proper DM site.
    One good thing is that Acorn may get some more merchandise available. BP have never understood how much money they could make, Acorn will. Maybe we'll finally get some DM/LG calenders, t-shirts and mugs.
    I would be surprised if they tried to go after docmartinonline or the blogs. We deliberately set up the website without ads so we don't make any money from it. All we do is provide them with free advertising for their show. Why try to close down a money-maker?

About this Other DM fan website, you don't think that BP and Acorn are in cahoots with each other, do you? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    It's good to know they can't have a private site put down. I was concerned about photos, fan vids and links to episodes on YouTube.

I wouldn't draw acorn's attention to either site because 1) it's better to be safe than sorry and 2) I think they already know. :):)

Episodes on YT are clearly a violation of copyright and we would never link from the website to any illegal sites for watching episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    About this Other DM fan website, you don't think that BP and Acorn are in cahoots with each other, do you? :confused:

Um... no.
    Acorn have no doubt done the website in response to DM's growing popularity in the US. Partly to make the fans happy and partly to aim the fans in the direction of their merchandise. Perfectly normal commercial behaviour.
    BP are absolutely brilliant at making riveting TV but they don't seem to understand the internet at all. Last time I checked they didn't even have a company website.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um... no.
    Acorn have no doubt done the website in response to DM's growing popularity in the US. Partly to make the fans happy and partly to aim the fans in the direction of their merchandise. Perfectly normal commercial behaviour.
    BP are absolutely brilliant at making riveting TV but they don't seem to understand the internet at all. Last time I checked they didn't even have a company website.

My deepest thanks to you and all others who started this site, with farsighted thoughts as to any legal problems that may come your way in regard to anyone shutting it down. You have no idea who much enjoyment I have derived from joining in every now and then to add my two cents worth and to read all the wonderful posts.

Now, as to potential merchandise re: Doc Martin--today I received a PBS catalog showing some Downton Abbey merchandise. Following are what they offer: 3 tote bags: one enscribed with Downton Abbey, another "What is a Weekend" and a third "Free Bates". Then, tee shirts: one in plum and another in olive green with the DA logo, another with "Free Bates, another "What is a Weekend" and lastly "Kissing Cousins" with picture of Matthew and Mary, then a CD of the music, a wall calendar (which I purchased), a DA Engagement Calendar and lastly three 1000 piece puzzles each depicting a scene from DA. Another catalog I received today, in regard to the 50 Shades of Grey books, there is a tee shirt in bright pink with "Looking for Mr. Right, Mr. Grey". So you see, we Americans buy this stuff!!! Possibly, BP wants to keep a tight control over everything and is hesitant to wander outside the boundaries they have set up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My deepest thanks to you and all others who started this site, with farsighted thoughts as to any legal problems that may come your way in regard to anyone shutting it down. You have no idea who much enjoyment I have derived from joining in every now and then to add my two cents worth and to read all the wonderful posts.

Now, as to potential merchandise re: Doc Martin--today I received a PBS catalog showing some Downton Abbey merchandise. Following are what they offer: 3 tote bags: one enscribed with Downton Abbey, another "What is a Weekend" and a third "Free Bates". Then, tee shirts: one in plum and another in olive green with the DA logo, another with "Free Bates, another "What is a Weekend" and lastly "Kissing Cousins" with picture of Matthew and Mary, then a CD of the music, a wall calendar (which I purchased), a DA Engagement Calendar and lastly three 1000 piece puzzles each depicting a scene from DA. Another catalog I received today, in regard to the 50 Shades of Grey books, there is a tee shirt in bright pink with "Looking for Mr. Right, Mr. Grey". So you see, we Americans buy this stuff!!! Possibly, BP wants to keep a tight control over everything and is hesitant to wander outside the boundaries they have set up.

Maybe BP is happy with their sales from the Doc Martin store, and don't feel the need to add new merchandise. How unfortunate. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[blush] I meant the DM site not DS. Nothing to do with me - they have proper paid staff and everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of music: Have you all heard MC singing the theme song for the children's show "Merlin the Magical Puppy"? (He also does the voice of Merlin.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6FtZk8Iq0s

Thanks, umbrellagirl. I love how things keep popping up to hear or see more of MC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Um... no.

Think BP have lost out on US commercial big time!!! IMO they should get Connie on their payroll !! LOL :) x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um... no.

I'm actually shocked that it took so long for an official site to pop up. I'm amazed that ITV hasn't done it. Normally I would be happy to see it. But it does bother me that it looks like whoever designed this site just paid a few visits to docmartinonline and thought, "Oh, that works. Let's do that."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I decided this morning to email the Longcross Hotel and ask what scenes had been filmed there. Got a nice reply within an hour. He said that one scene was supposed to be a restaurant in Truro and he believes another scene was in one of the bedrooms.

I immediately thought about a restaurant scene that I had not identified. The one with Edith and the head doc from London - the lunch that Martin never made because he was attending to Marigold's husband. At first I thougt that scene might have been filmed at the Headlands Hotel which had been used for Radio Portwenn, Wilson Hotel and the restaurant where Martin and Edith had lunch. But I had already determined that it didn't appear to be there, so it was on my undetermined list. After the email I went back to the scene and compared it to the bar at Longcross and bingo! Another one bites the dust :D

I took a look at some of their bedroom pics online and nothing jumped out at me. I'll have to just keep it in mind as I go through episodes.

One that has really stumped me though is the Crab and Lobster in S4. In S2, they used the Horseshoe Inn in Tresparrett for most of the interiors. Any other time we have seen the interior it was shot in The Golden Lion. But in S4, think of the scene when Louisa enters the pub pregnant for the first time. Also the scenes with Joe and his brother in the pub and with Al trying to make Pauline think he was with his mates. This is in a much larger pub and I have looked all over online to try to find it. In a couple of the scenes with Louisa going up to her room there is a nice staircase with wrought iron scrolling. That one is making me a little crazy. I would think it was fairly close to Port Isaac since about half the cast was in those scenes.

Oh, and another one making me crazy is the hotel where Martin meets Edith. We have established the exterior shots, but the interior is giving me fits. It is very distinctive with all the dark paneling in the lobby and in the hallways to the rooms. I have tried a lot of different searches for anywhere in UK but have come up empty. One thing really frustrating is that Martin walks right by a sign in the lobby that appears to have the hotel name and I thought it might say "Regency" something. I searched for that but was not able to find that interior. But now I am not sure if that is really what it says. Arghhhhhh

I feel almost guilty because when I first got hooked on DM and was cruising around the internet, I found a blog (I think? Or something?) in which the young woman who played the desk clerk in that hotel scene talked about her experience. Or her sister or close friend talked about her experience. Since then I've tried and tried and tried to find it again, but with no luck. It's been driving me crazy. I think she may have talked about the location, the hotel, meeting Martin Clunes, how she got the part, etc. Why is it that one can find things on the internet one day and the next day they're gone, or lost? I guess this is especially true of blog entries. I found her name, btw. Beth Scott-Hewlett. But I can't find the blog.

I did find something that will probably make you all yawn, but that's been nagging at me. Since DM and JH went to AJ's house in S5 E1 and went upstairs to her little bedroom, there's been something bothering me. Tonight I finally actually checked.

The wallpaper in AJ's bedroom is exactly the same as the wallpaper in Sam Oakwood's room in S3. Exactly. It seems to be the same room filmed from a different angle. Shop Girl, when you have a chance, could you take a look, maybe do a couple of screenshots?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, umbrellagirl. I love how things keep popping up to hear or see more of MC.

Oh, my goodness! That's adorable!

Through the years all of my family's dogs have always had their own silly little individual theme songs we've sung to them (feel free to laugh, especially since we can't carry a tune). Take a silly song, insert your pet's name, sing it to them, and they love it. MC's "Merlin the Magical Puppy" may have to be a secondary theme song for the the current two funny Biffle pups. Wow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Think BP have lost out on US commercial big time!!! IMO they should get Connie on their payroll !! LOL :) x

Welcome aboard, Ruby!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    RubyRedi wrote: »

I agree with you, RR. The US market has great potential to be a cash cow for BP and they are letting it slip through their fingers. (and +1 for Connie's talents!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    ... and WELCOME to all the Newbies on this forum!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I feel almost guilty because when I first got hooked on DM and was cruising around the internet, I found a blog (I think? Or something?) in which the young woman who played the desk clerk in that hotel scene talked about her experience. Or her sister or close friend talked about her experience. Since then I've tried and tried and tried to find it again, but with no luck. It's been driving me crazy. I think she may have talked about the location, the hotel, meeting Martin Clunes, how she got the part, etc. Why is it that one can find things on the internet one day and the next day they're gone, or lost? I guess this is especially true of blog entries. I found her name, btw. Beth Scott-Hewlett. But I can't find the blog.

I did find something that will probably make you all yawn, but that's been nagging at me. Since DM and JH went to AJ's house in S5 E1 and went upstairs to her little bedroom, there's been something bothering me. Tonight I finally actually checked.

The wallpaper in AJ's bedroom is exactly the same as the wallpaper in Sam Oakwood's room in S3. Exactly. It seems to be the same room filmed from a different angle. Shop Girl, when you have a chance, could you take a look, maybe do a couple of screenshots?

Oh wow! What are the odds that you read that online? So I just tried researching her online and would you believe that twice in my searching I actually ran across this post from you from just a couple of hours ago???

I did find a theatre company that she seems to be involved with and just tried emailing her. We'll see if I hear anything back - but thanks for the idea. I would have never thought to go in that direction!

Good eye on those bedrooms. I will have to check it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I'm actually shocked that it took so long for an official site to pop up. I'm amazed that ITV hasn't done it. Normally I would be happy to see it. But it does bother me that it looks like whoever designed this site just paid a few visits to docmartinonline and thought, "Oh, that works. Let's do that."

Except that it's a pretty standard way to do a TV show website. This is FX's uk website for NCIS: http://www.fxuk.com/shows/ncis/about
    Pretty similar, done several years ago and occasionally has polls too.
    Obviously, I think the fans' website is better but it would be a bit strange if I didn't. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New poll up on www.docmartinonline.net - What was Louisa thinking when Carrie pretended to be shocked after Martin nearly hit her with his car (season 3, episode 4)?

Thanks to Renee again. :):)
    We had so much fun with this one that I had to whittle down the answers to 5 (and take out the rude ones). :D:D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Maybe BP is happy with their sales from the Doc Martin store, and don't feel the need to add new merchandise. How unfortunate. :(

I think BP are also concerned about ethics. All their merchandise is locally produced. They aren't out to make a fast buck. But when they sell the rights to sell the videos in the USA they lose some of the control.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, I love seeing the moments when he goes from being MC into any character/acting persona. It seems to happen in just a flash of a moment and I am totally in awe of someone who can be that adroit at it and totally pull it off. And it is sometimes just his face, sometimes his whole body, and sometimes just his voice (like when he goes into an American accent on a couple interview shows) that do the change.

This, to me, is real acting. The Hollywood types that need to focus so much to get into character that no one on set is allowed to look them in the eye seem pooncy to me.
This discussion has been closed.