Overhit crosses

DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there anything more annoying to watch than a player in a good position who then proceeds to overhit the cross by 30 yards or put it in to the crowd?

Watching a few games over the weekend its amazing how often a cross is massively overhit. I guess its a harder skill than it looks, crossing on the run. Its incredibly frustrating to watch all the same though.

Comments

• Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Is there anything more annoying to watch than a player in a good position who then proceeds to overhit the cross by 30 yards or put it in to the crowd?

Watching a few games over the weekend its amazing how often a cross is massively overhit. I guess its a harder skill than it looks, crossing on the run. Its incredibly frustrating to watch all the same though.

If I'm honest a bigger bug bear are players not being able to beat the defender on the near post from a corner. George Graham used to fine players who did it but got round it with the near post flick on. It's an aspect of Wengers coaching that he's never paid attention to the possibility of making more of corners. Fabregas was the very worst example of this to the point where half of the wengerdome wouldn't even get up when we had a corner. I can forgive overhit crosses especially if the player is on the move.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    If I'm honest a bigger bug bear are players not being able to beat the defender on the near post from a corner. George Graham used to fine players who did it but got round it with the near post flick on. It's an aspect of Wengers coaching that he's never paid attention to the possibility of making more of corners. Fabregas was the very worst example of this to the point where half of the wengerdome wouldn't even get up when we had a corner. I can forgive overhit crosses especially if the player is on the move.

Totally agree. Oscar had 3 goes recently and couldn't do it.
    Shocking how many fail.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crossing on the run is definitely more difficult than it looks.

From a dead ball situation, such as a corner, not beating the defender on the near post is definitely unforgivable.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, to be fair I did nearly mention corners as well. As Tel said at Arsenal for many years the only danger from an Arsenal corners was that the opposition would break away and score.

I get that crossing and running is a skill. But in the Arsenal game yesterday there were a few only and one in particular from Jenkinson that really is nothing more than basic crossing. In his case he had all the time in the world and you you could see well before he hit it that he was going to lump it 20 yards too far just from his approach. We do see a lot of that which is different from someone running full pelt and trying to cross at the same time.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    What annoys me even more is the concept of a striker taking a corner. I find it absolutely absurd that at Man Utd our two corner takers are Rooney and RVP. Surely you would want these guys in the box on the receiving end? It cant be beyond other players to actually practice in training and be able to deliver the ball with enough accuracy so that two strikers arent having to do it?
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Wing play is second only to goalkeeping in the slating stakes. It's a thankless role where you're remembered only for your last poor cross.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Yes, to be fair I did nearly mention corners as well. As Tel said at Arsenal for many years the only danger from an Arsenal corners was that the opposition would break away and score.

I get that crossing and running is a skill. But in the Arsenal game yesterday there were a few only and one in particular from Jenkinson that really is nothing more than basic crossing. In his case he had all the time in the world and you you could see well before he hit it that he was going to lump it 20 yards too far just from his approach. We do see a lot of that which is different from someone running full pelt and trying to cross at the same time.

At least Jenkinson has time to work on that. That's probably a composure thing.
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    What annoys me even more is the concept of a striker taking a corner. I find it absolutely absurd that at Man Utd our two corner takers are Rooney and RVP. Surely you would want these guys in the box on the receiving end? It cant be beyond other players to actually practice in training and be able to deliver the ball with enough accuracy so that two strikers arent having to do it?

Why is Carrick not taking corners? I understand why you wouldn't let Nani or his ilk take a corner but Mr Reliable surely can take a decent corner ?
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    If I'm honest a bigger bug bear are players not being able to beat the defender on the near post from a corner. ..
    I'm surprised teams don't play more short corners and mix it up a bit.

I recently read that statistically more goals are scored from short corners than crosses into the box.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From a dead ball situation, such as a corner, not beating the defender on the near post is definitely unforgivable.

Agreed on both points.

If they are playing in wider positions whether full back, midfield players or forwards, I still reckon that they should be able top cross a ball and do it reasonably accurately.

I think sometimes with crosses, you get the problem of the player who has the ball trying to do something which is different to the players in the box that he is trying to find.

When this comes together, the same cross can look brilliant. Where there is the disconnect and the striker goes in one direction and the ball goes in another, it usually looks terrible.

I do think even at the PL / Championship level that better short passing football and playing lots of shorter balls has meant that that some players can't actually strike a ball with any technical proficiency, if it has to go even a medium distance, never mind crossing on the run to the right place in a fast moving and crowded box.

The techniques for lifting a ball are different to keeping it on the deck but these are pros and I reckon they just need to work at it.

Pat Rice used to come back to Arsenal's training ground in the afternoons and work on his left foot until he could strike the ball well enough to trust that he could get out of trouble in a match by shifting the ball onto his left side, even though he was playing right back.

Even players like Walcott (who has improved, no question) do not find it easy to actually kick a ball with any variety in how they strike it (where someone like Adam Johnstone can), although I think much of Theo's problems are his decision making as to what to do in any given situation.

Mind you, this is not a new phenomenon. I remember Tony Hazell, at QPR in the 70's frequently trying to hit the front players from right back and slicing the ball into the crowd; he had many other excellent qualities but passing was not one of them.

I used to practice this type of passing for hours and if I'd ever been remotely good enough to make it to pro level, I would have practiced, practiced and practiced, like Pat Rice did;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/football/football-editorial/greg-dyke/
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member

I agree, it's just as annoying when the player stops the ball in play to cross as a dead ball, & the cross fails to beat the first or second defender. Another thing that really annoys me is the lazy free kick in an attacking position which when taken the ball is then hit straight into the wall & the wall didn't even have to move.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    If I'm honest a bigger bug bear are players not being able to beat the defender on the near post from a corner.

Nani was terrible for this. So many corners would just be lazily chipped in and land on the first defenders head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Agreed on both points.

If they are playing in wider positions whether full back, midfield players or forwards, I still reckon that they should be able top cross a ball and do it reasonably accurately.

I think sometimes with crosses, you get the problem of the player who has the ball trying to do something which is different to the players in the box that he is trying to find.

When this comes together, the same cross can look brilliant. Where there is the disconnect and the striker goes in one direction and the ball goes in another, it usually looks terrible.

I do think even at the PL / Championship level that better short passing football and playing lots of shorter balls has meant that that some players can't actually strike a ball with any technical proficiency, if it has to go even a medium distance, never mind crossing on the run to the right place in a fast moving and crowded box.

The techniques for lifting a ball are different to keeping it on the deck but these are pros and I reckon they just need to work at it.

Pat Rice used to come back to Arsenal's training ground in the afternoons and work on his left foot until he could strike the ball well enough to trust that he could get out of trouble in a match by shifting the ball onto his left side, even though he was playing right back.

Even players like Walcott (who has improved, no question) do not find it easy to actually kick a ball with any variety in how they strike it (where someone like Adam Johnstone can), although I think much of Theo's problems are his decision making as to what to do in any given situation.

Mind you, this is not a new phenomenon. I remember Tony Hazell, at QPR in the 70's frequently trying to hit the front players from right back and slicing the ball into the crowd; he had many other excellent qualities but passing was not one of them.

I used to practice this type of passing for hours and if I'd ever been remotely good enough to make it to pro level, I would have practiced, practiced and practiced, like Pat Rice did;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/football/football-editorial/greg-dyke/

I used to practice too, constantly by myself on a Saturday between 8-14. I was terrible to start with but I always practiced hard.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It's something we have to put up with occasionally with Enrique and it's very frustrating to see an attacking move break down because the player puts it into the crowd.

Fortunately, our other main player who attempts crosses is Gerrard, and he's simply outstanding at it. Usually right on the money. He takes our corners too, and hasn't ever really been great at them, but at least he usually beats the first man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    This really bugs me when you see players from TOP teams getting 1/10 good crosses. It's just not acceptable for the money they're on.
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest annoyance for me is the amount of foul throws you see, every single game.

Watching the Chelsea vs Man United match a few weeks ago, practically every throw was a foul. But the refs do nothing.

Really bugs me.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    those two tend to take free-kicks as well, which makes me think it's because of the bend and whip they get on their deliveries, rather than just accuracy. I don't know that it's better to have your best finisher in the box at a set-piece than it is to have your best taker taking it. I agree with you though, I do find it weird when strikers take them, but then I guess it's usually defenders that score from them