Options

Anyone ever been to Toronto.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone give me any advice about Toronto Ontario Canada.

Has anyone ever been too Toronto.

I was thinking of going in the future.

Comments

• Options
    petertreepetertree Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Old Spaghetti Factory is cheap place to eat. We were only there for couple of nights so can't give you much help. There is a vast underground shopping centre. Seemed to be the main street was Yonge St and Dundas Square looked fun.
  • Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you go to Niagara Falls, and do the boat trip at the bottom of the falls. The Maid of the Mist I think it's called.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will have to go up the CN Tower, still one of the tallest structures in the world.

You could also go on a tour of the SkyDome stadium, which is near the tower.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been twice, once in summer, once over xmas. Virtually 2 different cities.

There is tons to see and do, depends on what you are interested in and how long you are over for. The underground shopping center I think referred to Eaton Centre which is pretty big.

BTW, Niagara Falls is around 2 hours drive but I found very commercial. Went over xmas, very pretty but maid of the mist is summer only so didn't get a chance to do that and don't think I missed much. There is Niagara on the Lake near by with its oldie worldie architecture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I lived there for 6 months as a child and had the most fantastic time. Snow, skating, tobogganing, lakes, log cabins, canoeing, big houses with cellars and verandas, a cool school with fab after-school activities, Niagara Falls, a tall tower. I may be romanticising it. It was the 70s and I was 8.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    It's a brilliant city. As others have said, the CN tower is worth going up and I would try to catch an ice hockey game if you can. The ice hockey hall of fame is good fun as well, even if you aren't really into the sport. It's also well worth getting a ferry out to the islands and spending a day wandering around those.

Niagra falls is worth a day trip but don't make the mistake of staying there for a couple of days like I did. Imagine Blackpool but about 50 times more unbearable and you are about there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Toronto is an amazing City. Lots to see and do. You will have an amazing time. As others have said the Niagra Falls is very commercialized. Tbh we weren't that impressed with it. A word of advice if you are driving, watch your speed.
  • Options
    janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Been twice, once in summer, once over xmas. Virtually 2 different cities.

There is tons to see and do, depends on what you are interested in and how long you are over for. The underground shopping center I think referred to Eaton Centre which is pretty big.

BTW, Niagara Falls is around 2 hours drive but I found very commercial. Went over xmas, very pretty but maid of the mist is summer only so didn't get a chance to do that and don't think I missed much. There is Niagara on the Lake near by with its oldie worldie architecture.

Agree about Niagara Falls. It felt like Blackpool, Niagara on the Lake is beautiful.
  • Options
    janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    China Town was amazing, just the amotsphere and the food. We went in the summer and it was really hot. Loads to see, we got a 3 day bus tour ticket and used it to see the city.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum took me for my birthday in 2004 and it was an amazing place. We stayed at the Sheraton hotel in Toronto and a nother Sheraton Hotel at Niagra Falls. We went in the spring and did the marina tour in Toronto it was great for sightseeing. I don't think it operates in the winter months as it is too cold and difficult to get through the ice.

I liked Niagra Falls it was an amazing sight. The maid of the mist boat right up to the falls was great but you get drenched. The shopping bit was a bit tacky but the hotel was really nice.

Definitely go up the CN Tower we had a nice meal in the revolving restaurant. The views were great.

We flew with Canadian Affair and got great leather seats and standard extra leg room. The flight prices were very reasonable from Edinburgh.

Hope you have a great time if you go I'd love to go back one day.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of family who live there. Avoid going in the winter as it can get so cold you will just get stuck inside.

I've always been in the summer and the weather is usually very nice.

Niagara falls are worth a visit, a much better experience if you go on the maid of the mist which is the only way to see it properly.

The actual town of Niagara is a bit of a non entity tbh.

Go further down to the Niagara gorge with the whirlpool and there is a cable car that takes you right over it which is pretty cool.

All the Niagara stuff is all doable in a day driving from Toronto.

The CN tower is a must but be prepared to queue for a while to get up to the observation deck. There is a cool section on the main level with a glass floor. It's a long way down. There is a small airport toward the lake and you actually look down at the little planes taking off.

Generally the city is very clean and safe.

It has some similarities to the USA but perhaps with a more progressive European attitude.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Toronto a long time ago now but I loved the city and want to go back.

Someone mentioned the hockey - the season is September (pre-season starts in September, main season starts in October) to April, and Leafs tickets can be very difficult to get hold of. Despite being crap, the Leafs are one of the best supported teams in the NHL and the ticket sales prove it. They're not impossible to get but can be expensive - if you want tickets speak to the hotel reception/concierge. You might be better off with tickets to their affiliate team the Toronto Marlies.

There is a network of underground passageways known as PATH, designed to help people move around in the winter when it's cold. You can walk for miles without having to go outside and some of them have shops etc.

Gretzky's is supposed to be awesome, as is Real Sports Bar & Grill based at Maple Leaf Square near the Air Canada Centre.

Do the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) tours, and you can also get bus tours of the city too.
  • Options
    francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dundas-Yonge Square is a mini Times Square
    Great shopping in the Eaton Centre
    CN Tower a must and Skywalk if you dare
    The Islands are a great park to walk around
    Day trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the lake
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Are you staying just in Toronto? We had (an excellent!) few days there and then drove to a great ski resort (Blue Mountain) right next to the Great Lakes.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add, while you are there make sure you try Caesar cocktail, yummy
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get thae chance visit Pioneer Creek a gem in the middle of Toronto, Pioneer Village, very interesting and authentic, also agree about Niagra Falls and Blackpool, but got to see it, Niagra on the Lake is great, theres a Christmas shop there, which I was facinated with.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Can anyone give me any advice about Toronto Ontario Canada.

Has anyone ever been too Toronto.

I was thinking of going in the future.

I live just north of Toronto and spent some years living there. Quite honestly I don't know why anyone would visit.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maryjh wrote: »
    I lived there for 6 months as a child and had the most fantastic time. Snow, skating, tobogganing, lakes, log cabins, canoeing, big houses with cellars and verandas, a cool school with fab after-school activities, Niagara Falls, a tall tower. I may be romanticising it. It was the 70s and I was 8.

Niagara Falls is nowhere near Toronto and the city of Niagara Falls is a dump although the Falls themselves are, of course, spectacular.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my Dad going in the 70s, when I was a child: in those days, you had to book an international satellite phone call, and it really gave a sense of the enormity of the planet and its place in the solar system.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niagara is worth doing in summer. You need to climb the CN tower and go to a Blue Jays game as well

And stop off at Tim Horton's regularly
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should try walking the length of Yonge Street
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone.

Toronto sound like a good place to Visit and some people say it the New York of Canada.
    I love to watch Hockey and I love that Cultural things like the native Indians.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Toronto and honestly don't know why people would visit here unless they had a reason eg. to see family, business...

There are so many nicer places to go.
  • Options
    stevebluejaystevebluejay Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Toronto and honestly don't know why people would visit here unless they had a reason eg. to see family, business...

There are so many nicer places to go.

Like where?
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like where?

Canada: Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec City, Banff (Rockies)...

US: New York, Washington DC, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Charleston...

Do I need to go on?