Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,075
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    Was good to hear Ravin' Haven commentating on the WSBR race 1 earlier today, even if he misidentified folk half the time. Slightly weird to see Roberto Mehri back to the dayjob/light relief(?) away from Manor F1.

If you watched it on BT Sport you'd have got Keith Collintine, who was OK on identifying cars but is otherwise a terrible commentator.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you watched it on BT Sport you'd have got Keith Collintine, who was OK on identifying cars but is otherwise a terrible commentator.

By the sounds of it the live timing was a mess, which probably doesn't help.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Was good to hear Ravin' Haven commentating on the WSBR race 1 earlier today, even if he misidentified folk half the time. Slightly weird to see Roberto Mehri back to the dayjob/light relief(?) away from Manor F1.

Eurosport i presume?

German F4 is worth keeping an eye on, Newey's son is racing, and some bloke called Schumacher.
  • Options
    F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets look back to Melbourne 2009 & the 1st ever BBC post race Forum:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ntjra_2009-melbourne-bbc-forum_auto
    6 years old, a third of the budget Sky have at their disposal and a presenter, pundits & crew on their first race. All this and it's still much better than anything the BBC or Sky have offered in the past number of years.
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Jenson who is running in the London Marathon today. He just got interviewed on the Beeb and hopes to beat his personal best of 2hr 58min, but with the weather like it is and the coverage has said there isn't much chance of the Elite Runners breaking any World Records, I doubt it.
  • Options
    indenileindenile Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32039221

What an interesting article given that the BBC is supposedly the British Broadcasting Corporation (i.e. not the Berlin Broadcasting Corporation or Bavarian Broadcasting Corporation).

What's exactly is going on here? Which other country would a public sector organisation be so biased against their own nationals? >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indenile wrote: »

What an interesting article given that the BBC is supposedly the British Broadcasting Corporation (i.e. not the Berlin Broadcasting Corporation or Bavarian Broadcasting Corporation).

What's exactly is going on here? Which other country would a public sector organisation be so biased against their own nationals? >:(

<sigh>
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Lets look back to Melbourne 2009 & the 1st ever BBC post race Forum:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ntjra_2009-melbourne-bbc-forum_auto

Lovely video, thanks for that.

2009 forum was just so good. I think getting everyone sat around a TV, analysing the action and having a laid back chat about things with the odd special guest popping in for a few minutes is by far the best way of doing things.

The fact the BBC AND Sky have both moved to the roaming around the paddock and speaking to the same faces and saying the same things every week model is very disappointing, I watch very little pre and post race stuff these days because it's all so predictable.

Also, the BBC did make an effort in 2009 to chat to everyone down the grid, it felt like proper rounded coverage. These days everything revolves around Hamilton.
  • Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That article is a month old from before the second race of the season. It's not anti-British in any way, it just said that Rosberg needed to strike back at Hamilton or he would run away with the championship, which is still the case now.

It's quite worrying that some people feel their should be more bias towards Hamilton, and quite sad that you had to go back a month to find a stick to try to beat the BBC with.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm, there's no bias in that piece? It doesn't say Hamilton is bad/undeserving, Rosberg good or anything, it's just an insight by a former driver as to how the two drivers' mental state might be affected depending on how results go.

There's a load of these type of articles on the BBC Sport website, why didn't you pick http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32389200 for example, which is more from Hamilton's perspective.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it is a change from the usual complaint of favourable bias for the Brits...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kriZbii wrote: »
    That article is a month old from before the second race of the season. It's not anti-British in any way, it just said that Rosberg needed to strike back at Hamilton or he would run away with the championship, which is still the case now.

It's quite worrying that some people feel their should be more bias towards Hamilton, and quite sad that you had to go back a month to find a stick to try to beat the BBC with.

People can sigh on here because I raised this, and no I did not notice the date (my browser does not really care about these things). It changes nothing.

Obviously, the guy knows is audience and knows who he's writing for. Good for you. Fingers crossed eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm now waiting for the BBC article entitled
    "What Djokovic needs to do to thrash Murray" by Tim Henman

Yeah, whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can sigh on here because I raised this

What exactly was it that you raised? A rabid anti-Hamilton, anti-Brit seething article of hatred? Err, no.
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    Good luck to Jenson who is running in the London Marathon today. He just got interviewed on the Beeb and hopes to beat his personal best of 2hr 58min, but with the weather like it is and the coverage has said there isn't much chance of the Elite Runners breaking any World Records, I doubt it.

He did it in 2hrs52:30 :)
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can sigh on here because I raised this, and no I did not notice the date (my browser does not really care about these things). It changes nothing.

Obviously, the guy knows is audience and knows who he's writing for. Good for you. Fingers crossed eh?

The article was dated the 24th April so wasn't over a month old. I think McNish who is a very good broadcaster, does tend to go out of his was to be "impartial" perhaps too much the other way.

Certainly on the BBC website Mr Andrew Benson, does tend to be a massive supporter of Alonso and quite often even praise of Hamilton is guarded to say the least.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now waiting for the BBC article entitled
    "What Djokovic needs to do to thrash Murray" by Tim Henman

Yeah, whatever.

But the article isn't about "[foreginer] thrashing [Brit]", it's about "[contender] beating [leader]". Djokovic would be equivalent of Hamilton in this case, in that he's the guy that they're trying to beat. Therefore it would be How Murray can beat Djokovic. Like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/29041555
  • Options
    EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Lovely video, thanks for that.

2009 forum was just so good. I think getting everyone sat around a TV, analysing the action and having a laid back chat about things with the odd special guest popping in for a few minutes is by far the best way of doing things.

The fact the BBC AND Sky have both moved to the roaming around the paddock and speaking to the same faces and saying the same things every week model is very disappointing, I watch very little pre and post race stuff these days because it's all so predictable.

Also, the BBC did make an effort in 2009 to chat to everyone down the grid, it felt like proper rounded coverage. These days everything revolves around Hamilton.

Was really great video and have seen more of the BBC's 2009 coverage recently and it is very, very good especially for a team that was finding their feet. The discussion round the screen for the forum was very good indeed- don't see why Sky in particular don't do this. Once they've completed their 'Race Show' and move to 'Paddock Live' as they call it. They should move to the SkyPad and can analyse in even more depth than the Beeb did here, due to the tools at their disposal. Would be really good to see Martin, Damon and Ant getting stuck in and discussing the big issues.
    To be honest the roaming around the paddock style really worked with Jake in my opinion just because of the ease he had in that situation. Simon and to a lesser extent Suzi (although I'll admit I've seen less of her) seem to be less comfortable with this style. So why not base them somewhere as you say?
    Post-race post Simon, Martin, Damon and Ant (and begrudgingly Johnny!) could be sat round the sky-pad with Ted, Natalie, Rachel and Craig speaking to all the main players. Then they could come out of this and be in the pits when the Championship is won etc.
    May be the little change to Sky's coverage they could do with.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say how Maaaavelous IndyCar was yesterday.

That is all..
    Jp
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    Just popping in to say how Maaaavelous IndyCar was yesterday.

That is all..
    Jp
    Yeah was a great race, Has put to bed much of the Pre-season fears about the new aero-kits hurting the racing.

My only complaint is the same complaint from last year, The cautions last too long. You had the caution yesterday with a car spun/stalled on track, The car was restarted & track cleared in about 2 minutes yet the caution period lasted over 10 minutes.

The other thing with cautions is that Barnhart always seems to hold off throwing a caution if the lead cars need to pit. Yesterday there was a big piece of wing in the middle of the track at one of teh fastest parts of the circuit thats also a blind crest that obviously required a caution, Yet he held off throwing the caution until the lead cars had made it into the pits 60 seconds later so he didn't disadvantage any of them. That caution should have been thrown immediately as it was a seriously dangerous situation.

The 2 years where Barnhart held no power in race control (2012/2013 where Beaux Barfield was race director) things seems so much more efficient & penalty calls were far more consistent. He was back in race control last year as part of a panel & has been moved back to race director this year (With Beaux Barfield walking away) & were starting to see the same inconsistency & nonsense we had last time he was there.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Beaux walked...?
    Jp
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    I wonder why Beaux walked...?
    Jp

Probably a combination of not being a favoured son (coming from the "outside" world of sportscars) and that TUSC could flat out pay more.

Anyone with BB's (err...the bad BB, Barnheart not the good BB Beaux ;) ) track record not only still being employed by the company but eventually regaining the position he demonstrated incompetency in 2 years ago says it all really.
    Its a series more interested in protecting it's own than doing what's right.

That said, it was a barnstorming race, of which Indycar needs right now.
    I'm hoping that for all the extra aero push coming off the new kits, the greater demands on the tyres means the degradation compensates and great racing results.

Not that this is usually how Bridge/Firestone like to go about their racing.
    If they were happy with that type of degradation they'd still have the F1 contract now by all rights.
    No doubt soon they'll put out a press release saying their changing the tyre compounds to better fit the demands of the new aero kits and we'll be back to processional racing.

Enjoy it while it lasts ;)
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    The talk was that Beaux Barfield simply got fed up with the politics.

Doesn't help that whenever he ever handed out a penalty to one of the Top teams/drivers or simply didn't make the call they wanted he got crap like this thrown back at him:
    http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/indycar-driver-scott-dixon-calls-race-director-beaux-barfield-be-fired

One of the things I liked about how Barfield ran things in 2012/2013 when he had total control in race control was that he actually did the starts properly. He didn't get it right 100% of the time, But he at least seemed to be trying to get them 2/3 wide before throwing the green. Barnhart always just seems to throw it even if there all single file. We had some horrid starts Pre-2012 & its been going back to that since last year sadly.

Long Beach 2011 with Barnhart in race control:
    https://youtu.be/jCd6j15NfIA?t=14m52s

2012 with Barfield officiating:
    https://youtu.be/oIGyuf8OVOk?t=38m46s

2015 with Barnhart in control:
    https://youtu.be/xpX3I_VHvek?t=11m53s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder if Brian Blessed has a decent chance of becoming Indycar race director one day...he has the right credentials...I mean initials...for the job! :)
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    2016 season will start on April 3 for some random reason.
This discussion has been closed.