Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Rory. I... just... don't.

D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Yep, I totally agree with what you say here. Personally, I think its a good character dynamic they have.

I also think she began to realise what Rory actually means to her by the end of the ep. This kiss after the swordfight was clearly a mixture of relief that he'd survived and pride that he'd fought an alien with nothing but a broomstick to protect her. It culminated with her wanting Rory to join the TARDIS crew at the end. A complete opposite to the snarky and jealous reaction Rose had to Mickey coming along at the end of School Reunion. Rose wanted her and the Doctor alone and adventuring. Amy, on the other hand, is clearly beginning to realise she actually wants rory in her life.

I'll go with all of that... Amy and Rory DO work well together, it's more that they're at slightly different points in their lives at the moment. Amy is struggling to find that middle ground between responsibility and fun (not that unusual for a 21 year old actually, doubly so for gorgeous ones with serious psychological scars from a slightly wayward time traveler) and is currently a little too far into the 'act first, count the fang marks later' stage. Rory has gone too far the other way and is a bit too cautious and practical (thinking about the deposit on the church in the middle of potential mortal peril, yeah, not the best idea). It's the sort of thing you DO tend to work out together in a relationship, just being in the TARDIS may speed things up a tad.
    On a related note, it was hilarous listening to them talking about the kiss scene in Confidential. Karen says how the director told her to kiss Arthur like she was giving him the best kiss of his life. It's then revealed by the director that Arthur asked him to say that to Karen! Haha, opportunistic bugger. :D I'd have tried it on, given the chance, too!

Moreso, it was fun hearing Karen say how she forgot to end the kiss and just carried on kissing him for ages and the director acknowledging that by sagin "the episode was running short anyway!" It's amusing, particularly after they revealed last week that Karen groped Matt SMith's inner thigh whilst filming their kiss scene. Sounds like Karen gets a little carried away with the smoochy smoochy scenes!

Can we please hang a 'jammy jammy bastard' sign on Arthur please :D Have to say, Karen seems to have a pretty good sense of humour about the whole thing though and from what we've seen it looks like a fun set to hang around on.
  • la_bambila_bambi Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    TomDaOne wrote: »
    I don't like him. More unnecessary baggage for the poor Doc. Rory's all bumbling, useless and angsty.

i know! i dont like him either, i mean he seems like a good person. yet, i just dont think he should take space in that tardis nor marry amy pond. i mean at least mickey was useful, but rory just seems to takes up space and the poor guy is so awkward.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Aw, I really like Rory. Him and the Doctor seem to have a pretty good dynamic too. I'd love to see him stick around. Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan both have great comic timing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it was years ago now, but does anyone have a link back to the threads on Mikey joining the crew?

I would just like to compare the reactions.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Aw, I really like Rory. Him and the Doctor seem to have a pretty good dynamic too.

Agreed.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    la_bambi wrote: »
    i know! i dont like him either, i mean he seems like a good person. yet, i just dont think he should take space in that tardis nor marry amy pond. i mean at least mickey was useful, but rory just seems to takes up space and the poor guy is so awkward.

Mickey was pretty hopeless back at the beginning. It was only after he decided to stay in the alternate universe that he suddenly became a capable character.

Plus that TARDIS is sooooooo big, it's not like Rory is taking up much space. I agree he shouldn't marry Amy, though. That should be me! :D
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found him irritataing as hell, a real drip. I suppose he'll have a "journey" where he becomes all heroic. I'd get shot sooner rather than later.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I found him irritataing as hell, a real drip. I suppose he'll have a "journey" where he becomes all heroic. I'd get shot sooner rather than later.

Not everyone is a born hero. I think Rory is far more believable because he's not entirely happy with being thrust into danger.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Rory is already heroic in a slightly twisted way. He knows that he doesn't have strength, talent or flair to fight monsters or protect Amy but he feels the need to do it anyway. He still puts himself in harms way. That's very brave.

I also think he's a more rounded character than Mickey. Mickey was jst irritating - mainly through no fault of his own but the superior attitude both the Doctor and Rose had over him.

Rory's not afraid to stand up to the Doctor, he's more balanced and Amy but, as we've seen, she's not prepared to just lay down for the Doctor (well, not mentally anyway), so that creates a very intriguing dynamic in the TARDIS.

I like the three together - they have a 'friendship' group feel about them and work well together. Amy's Choice seems to be a many layered episode so it'll be good to see how they handle that.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    la_bambi wrote: »
    i mean at least mickey was useful, but rory just seems to takes up space and the poor guy is so awkward.
    I disagree. When he discovered his coma patients wandering around the village, he didn't just notice and complain about it, he took photos so he'd have evidence. Those photos turned out to be crucial to ending the threat. When he discovered the Doctor was real and not just Amy's imaginary friend, he started reading up on time travel and cosmology and such, to the point where he understood how the Tardis worked without being told. His comment about the Doctor being dangerous because he inspired others to take risks, was insightful and gave the Doctor pause. He was protective of Amy, would die for her, and nearly did. Given how little air-time he's had, I think he's done enough to show he's not useless.
    Mickey was pretty hopeless back at the beginning. It was only after he decided to stay in the alternate universe that he suddenly became a capable character.
    He was more useful than Rose. Mickey was active in safe-guarding Rose from the internet weirdo she wanted to meet, and active in investigating the wheelie bin. It was his bad luck to get eaten because of it, and then he was basically traumatised.

Rose did nothing but run away from her early encounters. She didn't notice when the Doctor was fighting an Auton arm, or when Mickey got replaced by a plastic replica. She doesn't do anything of value until the end of her first ep, which was her 4th or 5th encounter. And she'd never got eaten so it was easier for her.

Mickey was useful in later episodes too, although my memory of the details is poorer. He saved Jackie from a Slitheen, for example (OK maybe that counts against him in some quarters), and did some computer hacking.

I guess I'm a big fan of the companion's companion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like rory. I loved the double act of him and the doctor in VoV. I hope they keep him in the rest of the series and make him a full time companion for series 6
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I disagree. When he discovered his coma patients wandering around the village, he didn't just notice and complain about it, he took photos so he'd have evidence. Those photos turned out to be crucial to ending the threat. When he discovered the Doctor was real and not just Amy's imaginary friend, he started reading up on time travel and cosmology and such, to the point where he understood how the Tardis worked without being told. His comment about the Doctor being dangerous because he inspired others to take risks, was insightful and gave the Doctor pause. He was protective of Amy, would die for her, and nearly did. Given how little air-time he's had, I think he's done enough to show he's not useless.

He was more useful than Rose. Mickey was active in safe-guarding Rose from the internet weirdo she wanted to meet, and active in investigating the wheelie bin. It was his bad luck to get eaten because of it, and then he was basically traumatised.

Rose did nothing but run away from her early encounters. She didn't notice when the Doctor was fighting an Auton arm, or when Mickey got replaced by a plastic replica. She doesn't do anything of value until the end of her first ep, which was her 4th or 5th encounter. And she'd never got eaten so it was easier for her.

Mickey was useful in later episodes too, although my memory of the details is poorer. He saved Jackie from a Slitheen, for example (OK maybe that counts against him in some quarters), and did some computer hacking.

I guess I'm a big fan of the companion's companion.

Agreed on all of it.

Just because they ooze confidence, it doesn't mean they are useless.

Both characters have grown on me.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Steve wrote: »
    I like rory. I loved the double act of him and the doctor in VoV. I hope they keep him in the rest of the series and make him a full time companion for series 6

Seconded, I thought the chemistry between him and the doctor was brilliant. Towards the end of the episode the chemistry between him and Amy is fine as well. To a certain degree he is a believable character because he does stupid things, that don't work. It's how anyone of us would act in a new unusual situation. I hope he is here to stay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus that TARDIS is sooooooo big,

Actually it doesn't seem to be that large - it's roughly the same size as the Torchwood Hub in Cardiff - whereas if you look at the Baker/Davison era the tardis is enormous and they have difficulty finding some of the rooms....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I love that Rory seems to do things so by the book and just take things in his stride as long as they are logical to him. Even his 'spontaneous' phonecall to declare his love for Amy at the beginning starts off "hello, it's me..er... how are you?... the reason for this call is" hehe it's kind of sweet
  • dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was annoying.

No chemistry between him and Amy either.

I agree there is no chemistry between them - maybe it is because their relationship is supposed to be a bit strained, but I just feel a lack of chemistry with Amy and anyone.

For me, I liked Rory being involved - I went from disliking him a lot in The Eleventh Hour, to being grateful for his presence. He stopped Amy being so annoying. I also thought he and The Doctor had a great double act - much more so than The Doctor and Amy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked him. He's someone I can relate to, unlike Amy, who's been a little too sarcastic and stilted for me up until now.

I thought he worked really, really well with Matt's Doctor and I definitely buy the relationship between him and Amy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I wasn't sure at first, thought he was going to be a bit of a drip, but I got there eventually and finished the episode really liking him. He didn't seem totally stupid and capable of thinking for himself and gave the doctor food for thought when he told him he's dangerous because he makes people want to impress him. Loved that scene.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt for Rory for most of the episode - being 'the eunich' of the group, Amy punching him awkwardly on the arm on their 'romantic date', Amy wanting him to pretend to be her brother, the Doctor having a bigger torch than him (hee!) and sort of being out of step with Amy and the Doctor at the start of the episode, so I was rooting for him as the underdog :)

However, I also think he's sweet and funny in his own right, and I like his relationship / chemstry with the Doctor. He's not really in awe and I love that he read up on things and miffed the Doctor who likes it when they just say 'it's bigger on the inside' :D And he more than proved himself by the end of the episode. He got me on his side, and I wouldn't be too unhappy if he came on board permanently.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to seeing him next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I really like Rory and I think it was so sad that he came back the way he did:( Was almost like a weeping angels scenario he was sent back in time with all his memories intact (though they did give him a Roman background) and he was so happy the doc and amy came back for him, but then amy forgot him and when she remembered he couldn't stop himself killing her!

I may have teared up a bit:o