For once, a finale with an entirely happy ending...and I still cried buckets!

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just thinking about the finales of series 1-4, all of which have ended with some sort of deep sadness/loss. The emotional wrench of losing Nine, the tearjerking goodbye to Rose...and in series 3, even though Martha left of her own accord, it was still a wrench (plus there was all the damage and fallout from the Master's reign). And of course series 4 had the heartbreaking Donna mind-wipe scene.

So it made a change to end on such a totally upbeat note, with everyone surviving (or being brought back in true uplifting Moffat fashion)...and the entire "gang" being carried over into the next series.

All this, and yet I shed more tears during last night's episode than Doomsday and Journey's End put together! Mainly due to Rory's vigil and the scene when Amelia was asleep. Anyone else cry more over this episode than ever before, in spite of the wall-to-wall happy endings? :)

Comments

• tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't cry but there was a feeling of "F*CK YEAH!" inside me. :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only Who episode to move me to tears was "Fathers day".
    But I did feel moved by Roman Rory's speech to dead Amy at the start.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    The only Who episode to move me to tears was "Fathers day".
    But I did feel moved by Roman Rory's speech to dead Amy at the start.

Oh don't....you'll set me off again! I was a gibbering heap on the floor at that point! :)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    My eyes welled up at the final scene. 'Cos I was so happy to see the three of them together venturing forth (to the Orient Express in space?) - so happy they were back, and no cliff-hanger:)
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the fact that the episode ended almost identically to the way "The Eleventh Hour" ended.

TEH: We see Amy's face as she takes in the whole spectacle of the TARDIS. Goodbye Leadworth, hello everything. The Doctor and Amy lurch as the TARDIS goes into flight.

TBB: The Doctor says it's time to say goodbye. Amy shouts goodbye to Leadworth. The Doctor takes the TARDIS into flight and we see both him and Rory lurch as it takes off. We see Amy looking in awe at ti all in the final shot.

I loved that duality. This wasn't an ending, it was a new beginning.

The whole episode had been full of the feeling that this was the end of the Doctor (even if we all knew it wasn't, it was scripted and filmed in such a ways that it could have been the final end to it all). Even as he prepared to fix the universe - and fix Amy's life - we were left with the sadness that the Doctor was sacrificing his entire existence to save the universe. His little speech at the end where he says Amy will have her family and doesn't need her imaginary friend anymore was so sad.

So it was wonderfully upbeat and rewarding to show that Amy DOES still need her imaginary friend and they all get to fly off just like the end of a series opener. It makes me even more excited about seeing what happens next. The story has only just begun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    I loved the fact that the episode ended almost identically to the way "The Eleventh Hour" ended.

TEH: We see Amy's face as she takes in the whole spectacle of the TARDIS. Goodbye Leadworth, hello everything. The Doctor and Amy lurch as the TARDIS goes into flight.

TBB: The Doctor says it's time to say goodbye. Amy shouts goodbye to Leadworth. The Doctor takes the TARDIS into flight and we see both him and Rory lurch as it takes off. We see Amy looking in awe at ti all in the final shot.

I loved that duality. This wasn't an ending, it was a new beginning.

The whole episode had been full of the feeling that this was the end of the Doctor (even if we all knew it wasn't, it was scripted and filmed in such a ways that it could have been the final end to it all). Even as he prepared to fix the universe - and fix Amy's life - we were left with the sadness that the Doctor was sacrificing his entire existence to save the universe. His little speech at the end where he says Amy will have her family and doesn't need her imaginary friend anymore was so sad.

So it was wonderfully upbeat and rewarding to show that Amy DOES still need her imaginary friend and they all get to fly off just like the end of a series opener. It makes me even more excited about seeing what happens next. The story has only just begun.

So true, Helbore, and beautifully expressed. I love your posts! :)
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    So true, Helbore, and beautifully expressed. I love your posts! :)

:o:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I loved the high emotions of series 1-4, I really like the fact that Moffat has lightened the dynamics brilliantly. By introducing Rory, he's balanced out the Doctor/companion dynamic, so there isn't that sense of the companion "needing" the Doctor. Instead of unrequited love, mawkish romance and/or escape from an aimless life, we now have a pair of companions who adore each other mutually and don't need the Doctor to "complete" them in any way, but they just love being with him, and he likes them as a team. There's no undercurrent of romance, apart from Amy's moments of flirtiness which are harmless and fun.

And how about the warm smile on the Doctor's face when he was watching them at the wedding....it was so moving. He genuinely loved seeing them happy and reunited. That was so much more satisfying for the viewer than DT sacrificing his happiness so Rose could go off with the clone. It just goes to show that there doesn't have to be a Doctor/companion romance undertone in order for the bond to have depth. The best bonds have been between Doctors and companions that had no lovey-dovey stuff going on (Ten/Donna and now Eleven/Amy, with Rory providing the lovey dovey stuff!).

Awww, I just want to watch it all over again! :)
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These moments have all been mentioned but:
    * The Doctor talking to Amelia while she's asleep about the Tardis - I really felt the emotion, fabulously acted.
    * Rory waiting for 2000 years to make sure Amy was safe. "The boy who waited" - Amy and Rory's reunion in the museum was great too, after Amy watched the story on the TV screen
    * The Doctor's comments while Amy and Rory were enjoying their slow dance.

Very moving episode - but with a happy ending! Brilliant. I really can't praise Matt Smith enough, he's been phenomenal. He's exactly how The Doctor should be, imo. The perfect balance of warmth, confidence and eccentricity.

Moffat has done a grand job this series. Well done, Mr Moff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started crying at the moment the future doctor appeared at the top of the stairs, fell down them, and appeared to die right in front of them all.

It was such a jarring contrast to the fez-wearing-mop-carrying-drink-stealing time-travel frivolity of just seconds previously that I couldnt handle it and I just went.

:cry:

And I carried on crying pretty much all the way through the rest of the episode....mostly during the scene where the Doctor was saying goodbye to Amy, and when he was talking to the sleeping Amelia.

But I had a massive grin on my face at the end :D.

I dont think I cried over this ep as much as "The End Of Time Part 2" though...cried for a solid half hour over that one.

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JG600 wrote: »
    I started crying at the moment the future doctor appeared at the top of the stairs, fell down them, and appeared to die right in front of them all.

It was such a jarring contrast to the fez-wearing-mop-carrying-drink-stealing time-travel frivolity of just seconds previously that I couldnt handle it and I just went.

And I carried on crying pretty much all the way through the rest of the episode....mostly during the scene where the Doctor was saying goodbye to Amy, and when he was talking to the sleeping Amelia.

I dont think I cried over this ep as much as "The End Of Time Part 2" though...cried for a solid half hour over that one.

Its a TV show... :p
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    JG600 wrote: »

I love this :D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Didn't cry but there was a feeling of "F*CK YEAH!" inside me. :D

This.

It was a lovely... no... beautiful... no... GORGEOUS way to finish.

Put your arms in the air and wave your head about between them! :D
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't cry, but smiled and smiled and smiled :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I loved the way it ended with a big party, The Doctor's triumphant return, a bit of comic dancing and then off on a new adventure. Thee were some very moving moments in the episode when I definitly felt a lump in my throat, like Rory waiting for 2000 years and the Doctor's talk to the sleeping Amelia about how she would have a mum and a dad and so not need her imaginary friend. But at the end I had a big grin on my face as they all went off in the tardis.
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cried that I'd wasted an hour of my life watching this convoluted twaddle.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I was just thinking about the finales of series 1-4, all of which have ended with some sort of deep sadness/loss. The emotional wrench of losing Nine, the tearjerking goodbye to Rose...and in series 3, even though Martha left of her own accord, it was still a wrench (plus there was all the damage and fallout from the Master's reign). And of course series 4 had the heartbreaking Donna mind-wipe scene.

So it made a change to end on such a totally upbeat note, with everyone surviving (or being brought back in true uplifting Moffat fashion)...and the entire "gang" being carried over into the next series.

All this, and yet I shed more tears during last night's episode than Doomsday and Journey's End put together! Mainly due to Rory's vigil and the scene when Amelia was asleep. Anyone else cry more over this episode than ever before, in spite of the wall-to-wall happy endings? :)

I'm really happy you liked it so much. Lots of nice movements.:)
    I cried that I'd wasted an hour of my life watching this convoluted twaddle.

**hand Adam a tissue**. Hope you have a better next series. :)
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really happy you liked it so much. Lots of nice movements.:)

**hand Adam a tissue**. Hope you have a better next series. :)

Thanks! Thought there was some great dialogue in the episode, but as others have pointed out in the main thread the whole idea of the Doctor surviving through Amy's memory was a bit lame to say the least. Moffat can write some good stuff, trouble is he isn't as clever as he thinks he is and he overstretches himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really happy you liked it so much. )

Hi! :) Yes, I was captivated from start to finish. :) I never thought I'd grow to love Matt Smith's Doctor this much this soon. He's done a superb job, as has Moffat. Roll on the next series! :)
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cried when I ralised what was about to / happening wih that old rhyme for weddings. Outstanding!

If that's going to be classed as poor deus-ex-machina writing, then bring it on.
  • aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alphonsus wrote: »
    I cried when I ralised what was about to / happening wih that old rhyme for weddings. Outstanding!

If that's going to be classed as poor deus-ex-machina writing, then bring it on.

He came back on that all important date 26-06-10. There is more to this than just Amy remembering.

But, oh lordy, it was beautiful!:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    thank you steve... a good ending----
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Thought there was some great dialogue in the episode, but as others have pointed out in the main thread the whole idea of the Doctor surviving through Amy's memory was a bit lame to say the least. Moffat can write some good stuff, trouble is he isn't as clever as he thinks he is and he overstretches himself.

Really? because I think the show itself explained it quite clearly to show how it happened. The Box was linked to Amy's memories, nothing is ever truely forgotten. If the Box can restore the Universe to the way Amy remembers it, then the Doctor can be remembered to and therefore exists in this new Universe. The whole thing was hinted out throughout. To me it was brilliantly written and made a hell of more sense then having everybody on Earth shouting Doctor to restore him (this was never explained).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still buzzing over not just the episode but the whole damn series but The Big Band was a SUPERB example of taking the audience on a proper ride. Loads of stick in the mind moments without going that bit too far and taking the audience out of the story.

Specific moments... well, mostly they've been mentioned although I've got to bring up the TARDIS, love when they make it a proper character in the story and the 'something old' line was perfect (doubly so after it burned to keep the Earth safe). And, while I know it'll get scoffed at by some, Karen Gillan deserves special mention in my book. Brilliant all through the episode but everything from her conversation with the Doctor in the Pandorica onwards was superb no matter if it was sad, funny or awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when Rory insisted on guarding the Pandorica, I thought - typical bonehead Rory, and then we had the film in the Museum - boo hoo. And then it was boo hoo/ grinning like a loon from then on. (I was grinning like a loon from the start pretty much, mind)