TNA Wrestling on Challenge TV

Comments

• Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the Sabin v Aries match was the highlight of the show. Good work from the pair of them.

Still don't like gut check though, and the whole Joey Ryan promo seemed massively staged to me.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    TNA are a private company and only a handful of people actually know how many PPV buys they are actually doing.

According to Dixie in her conference call, the numbers quoted by the dirtsheets are wrong more often than they're right.

I don't think Dixie is going to admit that the shows are not profitable and haven't been profitable for ages, as it makes her look incompetent. Also you could make the argument about why does she want to reduce the number of shows if they're making money on every one?

Another good Impact yesterday. Some nice storylines on going right now with AJ/Dixie/Karazian/Daniels and Bully Ray/Park.

The gut check is missing something. I do wish they would get rid of the music in the backstage discussions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I cannot get into TNA at all. The NWA in the late 80's was much better. Let's face it- Sting as a main event attraction- at OVER 50!!! Roode vs Sting in a 'Dentures Match'! Please...
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MizManiac wrote: »
    I cannot get into TNA at all. The NWA in the late 80's was much better. Let's face it- Sting as a main event attraction- at OVER 50!!! Roode vs Sting in a 'Dentures Match'! Please...

And yet what do most consider the best match of the year?

The Undertaker vs. Triple H with Shawn Michaels as special guest referee.

Three guys with a combined age of 135.

Age is just a number in wrestling. The bottom line is that if you know how to tell a story, take some bumps and work the crowd, you can keep going for a good while. Sting has lived cleanly and worked damn hard to keep himself in good shape - he is far from an embarassment in the ring, still capable of putting in some good performances.

Besides, he's just back to put over Roode again. I'd be absolutely shocked if they put the belt on him at Slammiversary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Sting has lived cleanly and worked damn hard to keep himself in good shape - he is far from an embarassment in the ring, still capable of putting in some good performances.

I don't disagree with what you say about Sting's attitude, but i have horror visions of Ric Flair's moobs making a mockery of his former EXCELLENT self. Sting's time was over at 2000. It's a shame when the younger crop of stars cannot headline a relatively new promotion...
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sting might be old, but he's still a damn sight better wrestler and more agile than that WWE waste of space The Great Khali.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MizManiac wrote: »
    Sting has lived cleanly and worked damn hard to keep himself in good shape - he is far from an embarassment in the ring, still capable of putting in some good performances.

I don't disagree with what you say about Sting's attitude, but i have horror visions of Ric Flair's moobs making a mockery of his former EXCELLENT self. Sting's time was over at 2000. It's a shame when the younger crop of stars cannot headline a relatively new promotion...

Roode is their longest reigning champion ever, what more do you want?!

Sting is there to give further legitimacy to his reign as Roode can say he beat a legend of the business twice. Presumably all this is heading towards Storm taking the belt off Roode at BFG.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone notice that Dixie Carter mentioned that the date of Slammiversary was September 10th during her promo?:D
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet what do most consider the best match of the year?

The Undertaker vs. Triple H with Shawn Michaels as special guest referee.

Three guys with a combined age of 135.

Age is just a number in wrestling. The bottom line is that if you know how to tell a story, take some bumps and work the crowd, you can keep going for a good while. Sting has lived cleanly and worked damn hard to keep himself in good shape - he is far from an embarassment in the ring, still capable of putting in some good performances.

Besides, he's just back to put over Roode again. I'd be absolutely shocked if they put the belt on him at Slammiversary.

Yep - same with Flair's WWE retirement match against Michaels - that was one of the matches of the decade for me and far superior to anything that the current crop of young 'superstars' could put on today.. Punk Vs Bryan the other week excepted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sabin vs AA, was an excellant match, and further proof if needed that they need to return names such as Sabin, Joe and AJ to the X-Div scene, would really elevate the title and AA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    This weeks episode finished really early - 15 minutes early. A by-product of going live?

One thing they need to do though is to stop all the pixelation on screen. If you can't show it here, then don't distribute the broadcast version, but rather the pre-graphic stream. At times a third of my screen was blurred out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Just to prove I'm not a total TNA fanboy (although in all fairness I probably am! :p) I have to say I was slightly dissappointed with the live episode of Impact.

It wasn't bad by any stretch but slightly underwhelming, probably more to do with the fact that it was the episode before a PPV.
    I thought Taz was a good choice to replace Flair in the gut check as he has a lot of credibility with the fans and has alot more to offer than colour commentary. As I recall he got one hell of a pop when he got out from behind the announcers table to stop JJ going after Angles neck - whilst I know he'll never start busting suplexes again it would be nice for him to take on some sort of mentor / Manager for a new talent - but that new talent was never going to be Ron Burgundy!

The Gut check could really do with trying out a few more new heavyweights instead of Sub-Aries X Div guys. It might be the perfect way to introduce american audiences to Johnny Moss or similar, basically someone Rob Terryesque but with a bit more ummm..... talent :o

Finally I cant wait to see the outcome of the Parks / Ray match, this has been one of the most entertaining storylines I can remeber in recent years which has had a nice slow buildup, I'm hoping the payoff is worth it! (To anyone who wants to trash the feud, please remember the best way to enjoy any wrestling is to suspend your disbelief!!!!!)
  • MFKR78MFKR78 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed a lot of the style and matches on the live Impact but 2 things especially wound me up as old TNA mistakes.

First the positives, going live and not being able to see spoilers so far ahead is a huge positive. Things feel fresh and before it was way too easy to see spoilers weeks in advance then people would switch off and not bother because of the usual negative reaction on the net before it aired.

Sabin vs Aries was a great match, as was Styles vs Daniels.

The major negatives for me were....

The whole voting on the TV Title challenger only for it to be meaningless anyway. I voted Hardy and really wanted to see him win the belt. I thought either he would go over seeing as it would make no sense to have Devon go over him, or they'd do the interference finish. Sure enough they did the interference finish and it ruined it for me. What's the point of voting in who you want if they just have someone come and ruin the match anyway because they want to keep pushing the guy they want? I know they won't change all booking plans to fit the fans but seriously, it seems any of the 3 other big names in the match would have had Robbie E run in at the end anyway so it seems a pointless experience voting who you want in the match. Plus now there's no payoff, two weeks in a row Robbie E has stopped someone winning the TV Title and they're all just "oh well, nevermind" about it?! Wouldn't you be angry as hell to lose your chance? Apparently not.

Joey Ryan on Gut Check. Now I like indy wrestling and I know a lot of people don't. I know some in power think the indys aren't so special or whatever but this is ridiculous. You've got Alex Silva who came out for his match and looked like shit last month, he couldn't throw a realistic punch and wrestled like he'd been in the business a couple of weeks, yet they change their mind on him based off a promo?! I lost my dad two years ago so I know it sucks but seriously, reality TV needs to quit the sympathy vote. Losing family or having a sob story shouldn't be an automatic way in to a competition. But anyway, Silva gets in and they're already struggling to use him as they have to fly him in, plus they probably can see he's not that good in the ring. So that was a wasted vote. Then they get Joey Ryan who has been good on the indy circuit for years, he has a good character and wrestled a good match against Aries. But no, he gets a no even though he could wrestle and talk rings around Alex Silva in his sleep. That right there pissed me off because what's the point again? So the wrestlers who could be good get a no and the no name kids get a yes? That takes all credibility out of it for me right there.

So I'm 50/50. Not seriously down on Impact altogether as it's much better than it was still and there's lots of positives, but those were big enough negatives to make me annoyed again being honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely agreed on the TV Title. What were they thinking?! Devon does nothing for the belt so why not put it on the most over guy in the company? They need a strong second-tier belt now that Aries has clobbered the entire X-Division.

Personally I wouldn't have signed either Silva or Ryan. Silva was terrible in every way, and Ryan is just another comedy gimmick - we've already got Eric Young, don't need another. X-Division needs credible stars.

Here's an idea - how about re-hiring Amazing Red, Jay Lethal, Low-Ki and Jack Evans? Or is that too much to ask? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with Ryan he doesn't play it straight as a comedy character, it's a sleazy heel character who looks a bit comical with the overly 70's routine. He deserved a shot in my opinion but I know he's not everyone's cup of tea. It was just a joke they take Silva but not Ryan?

Sting vs Roode stunk up the place for me too. I understand that Sting's name was brought in as a big name face for Roode until Storm is back or whatever but Sting's time in the ring is long gone. I wanted to give it every chance but the match was slow and boring and there was far too many throwing the opponent out of the ring situations. I don't have any interest in the Slammiversary match and am tired of Sting having to keep being dragged back out to go for the title. I like his character and image, I know he's a legend but he can't go enough to be facing off for a world title at this stage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of wish they would have Sting bring in a "son", someone with a modern twist on the Sting look, with a similar move-set, for Sting to put over. Even maybe go back to the Bleach blond look of previous incarnations ( I'm thinking how good Ken Anderson looked when he did it!). Maybe Garrett!
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Neither Silva or Ryan were worth a contract. Excusing the TNA mess up with Silva getting a yes vote in the Gut Check, TNA didn't think that either were good enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Neither Silva or Ryan were worth a contract. Excusing the TNA mess up with Silva getting a yes vote in the Gut Check, TNA didn't think that either were good enough.

I'm still not entirely sold on the Flair rumour.

The facts are:
    - Pritchard and Snow both said yes, so Flair did not have the deciding vote in any way
    - Silva was a 'homegrown' talent having come from OVW
    - It is more likely that TNA would want their first Gutcheck to end with a signing and a happy ending, rather than a damp squib

Doesn't mean I think Silva was worth a contract, but I think the idea about Flair going "off-script" is nonsense, or at the very least had no bearing on the outcome.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see where Kaz had AJ down on the mat in the corner, right infront of the camerman, it clearly showed Kaz just slapping the mat, instead of hitting AJ :p

Not a fan of the Gut Check, and im sick to bloody death of the Tv Title matches, its always Robbie sodding E, either competing for the belt, or coming down to ruin the match, i don't know how many more weeks i can take of that.

Was all looking forward to seeing Brooke as well, but jesus, what the hell has she done to herself, looks like shes had her face done, and her legs were chunky, i was disappoint :(:p

Stings brilliant, i loved it when he was acting bonkers, had me crying with laughter :D
  • AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, Abyss!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ Wheels wrote: »
    You know, Abyss!
    The greatest catchphrase in wrestling :D
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Hopefully they'll make Sting/Roode a 'Texas Death Match' because Sting, like many other veterans, needs some extras or one hell of an opponent to produce a good match at his stage.

Agree with those that say Jeff should have taken the belt off Devon. Biggest merchandise seller and one of the biggest babyfaces in wrestling should hold gold. A three way face feud with RVD and Anderson would add needed credibility to the belt.

I think Impact is the strongest prime time wrestling show on TV thesedays. Raw is always inconsistent and Smackdown is uncared about by management, filled with squash matches and recaps. Impact seems quite solid consistently and more logical thesedays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impact is the best on TV by far and the live element (although not applying to UK) makes it that much better. I will watch WWE when things are going good and there's some interesting stuff in there, only not enough for me to watch each week right now.

I've downloaded Impact this morning as I can't decide whether or not to watch it on the laptop. I would rather wait for TV but I always run the risk of spoilers popping up online before I get to see it on Sunday night or Monday morning. I like to read 411mania but it's annoying avoiding the whole site and missing the columns and news I do like but difficult to avoid all spoilers for 3 days at the same time.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ Wheels wrote: »
    You know, Abyss!

I love that, i do it with him :D
    MFKR78 wrote: »

I've downloaded Impact this morning

Its so much better on Spike than it is on Challenge. :)
  • longlivinglongliving Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    The PQ is certainly a lot better than Challenge.
This discussion has been closed.