[Speculation]: The TARDIS "chameleon circuit"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
Forum Member
At the end of the latest series, the fabled "mad man in the blue box" apparently made the decision to go to ground, and lie low for the foreseeable future. With this in mind, do you think that the time is ripe for him to lose the "blue box"?

Comments

• LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a fixed chameleon circuit could open up lots of possibilities so I would be pleased to see it working. Although, the TARDIS would need to remain a blue box in it's "natural" state, it's far too iconic to change.
    Also, apart from the risk of forgetting where he parked it, I think cloaking the TARDIS would be just as effective (as in the impossible astronaut).
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Oh god I hope not. The iconic blue Police Box Tardis is as much a part of Dr Who as is The Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Oh god I hope not. The iconic blue Police Box Tardis is as much a part of Dr Who as is The Doctor.

I agree 100%.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    NOOOO! The Police box must remain! It's far more important than the Doctor! Who wants to see a 'rock' appear or a 'Lawnmower' when we can have the iconic Police Box?!! The chameleon-circuit is knackered and that's that!:p
  • Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I'd like to know if the TARDIS was a blue box when they first met.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NOOOO! The Police box must remain! It's far more important than the Doctor! Who wants to see a 'rock' appear or a 'Lawnmower' when we can have the iconic Police Box?!! The chameleon-circuit is knackered and that's that!:p

As much as I love the certain 'constants' in Doctor Who, like the police box, I'd hate to think that any writer would feel constrained in what they could and couldn't do to the show. It wouldn't need to be a permanent change, a season or two, maybe less, but if it made sense it would be fine.

Imagine if the rules were far stricter in writing for the show, certain great moments wouldn't have happened. The Doctor's Wife is the example that first springs to mind, it might sound heresy to some that the TARDIS should take human form and talk with the Doctor. But in my opinion it was great. Am I right in saying as well that there were a couple of seasons during Jon Pertwee's era during which no travelling through space and time happened? Imagine if that was pitched as an idea today. Wouldn't happen, which is a shame.

If it makes sense to do it from a story perspective, it should be done. And personally, I would derive a great deal of entertainment watching the enraged reactions from those who determine what is 'right' and 'wrong' in Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That the Tardis (outline) was incorporated into the logo, says plenty about how iconic it is to the series. It's something that the production team appear very unlikely to change.

I'm more concerned at how each new prop is slightly bigger than the last one. Given enough years, it will inevitably become bigger on the outside!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know if the TARDIS was a blue box when they first met.

It wouldn't have been, as it become stuck during An Unearthly Child (the Doctor is surprised when it fails to change). Any appearance taken on before that is of course unknown, except for the undisguised ships in The War Games.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    At the end of the latest series, the fabled "mad man in the blue box" apparently made the decision to go to ground, and lie low for the foreseeable future. With this in mind, do you think that the time is ripe for him to lose the "blue box"?

Don't be so offensive!:D

FOr me the police box is a friendly sight, a sanctuary from all the badness. I love the idea of the police box standing up on its grassy knoll with absolute safety within!

One thing I don't like is the way that NuWho has made the Tardis more vulnerable to outside elements. Although this did tend to start mainly with Peter Davisons era.
  • hajuahajua Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Fixing the chameleon circuit is horribly, horribly bad luck.

Donna worked out to fix just before her memories had to be erased. Colin Baker fixed it and we lost the Nightmare Fair season. Tom Baker tried to fix it, and he lost a regeneration and a quarter of the universe.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Has it not been well-established now that the Doctor and the TARDIS both like the blue box shape, and use it out of preference? i.e. even if the Doctor could change the shape, he wouldn't.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Remember The Attack of the Cybermen ? They tried shifting the exterior of the Tardis and it just looked stupid. That might have been the point mind you. I could just about get away with The master's Tardis appearing in different forms, but the Doctor's ? Never.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I actually think its a good idea and it would be a really fun twist at the start of the next series. It would completely makes sense that The Doctor would want to disguise the Tardis if he really wants everybody to believe he's not dead. The Tardis contstantly showing up in new places would be a giveaway. He'd change it eventually, though, because he loves it, he can't hide forever and its such an important part of the show. I wouldn't want a permanent change, unless of course its a minor change similar to the change at the beggining of season five, but I think it would be a really interesting idea to explore for a few episodes.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing will never change (at least, not beyond a little makeover) and that's the police box.
  • taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bet any money on the blue box being changed, it's too an iconic and identifiable part of the Doctor Who mythos.

I do see to OP's point, if the Doctor wants the universe to believe that he died at lake silencio on the 22nd April 2011, the last thing he'd want is to be travelling around in what must be the most identifiable ship in the cosmos.

But the real world answer is No, it won't change. And not just because of the answer given above, one of the reasons the original producers stuck with the blue box disguise of the TARDIS was that it would be too expensive to keep changing the prop for every story. That's as applicable today as it was then, more so perhaps given the more travelling the Doctor does per story than what he did in the old days.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would happen if the Doctor couldn't find his blue box?

If the tardis link was lost, Would the Doctor find a way to get in touch?
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    What would happen if the Doctor couldn't find his blue box?

If the tardis link was lost, Would the Doctor find a way to get in touch?

Isn't his Tardis key connected to the actual Tardis?
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't his Tardis key connected to the actual Tardis?
    It may be but what if something was blocking the connection? How would the Doctor go about such a problem?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Actually, Sigsig made an excellent point in another thread: any future activities by a post-"death" Doctor might easily be explained away as a time-travelling pre-"death" Doctor. It's easy to forget that it's only we, as viewers, who (usually) see events from the point of view of the Doctor's personal timeline.
    That's why the exceptions to this convention work so effectively, particularly the first part of "The Impossible Astronaut"... and, to a much lesser extent, the beginning and end of "Smith and Jones" - have I missed any other instances?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    Actually, Sigsig made an excellent point in another thread: any future activities by a post-"death" Doctor might easily be explained away as a time-travelling pre-"death" Doctor. It's easy to forget that it's only we, as viewers, who (usually) see events from the point of view of the Doctor's personal timeline.

Absolutely - the Silence don't give a monkey's about anything else he might have got up to. Just as long as he never makes it to Trenzalore.

Of course, once they see an incarnation of the Doctor that doesn't have a face that comes anywhere between Hartnell and Smith, they might start asking questions.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

And in many ways, more so. She hasn't had as many face-lifts, for starters :D
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    alphonsus wrote: »
    And in many ways, more so. She hasn't had as many face-lifts, for starters :D

I beg to differ alphonsus. Not wanting to be pedantic...but methinks the Tardis has had more 'face-lifts' than the Doctor.
    It's changed its exterior 'box' numerous times, and as for the interior - I've lost count!! Even in Hartnell's day it kept changing! Troughton had LARGE (with Power Room), down to small, Pertwee had about three different versions (including the 'washing-up bowls' on the walls! Tom Baker had three (Pertwee's last one, the Jules Verne wooden one and his last one). Davison had two - Tom's old one and his new rejuvenated 'modern' look with monitors on the console.
    The other Doctors made do with that from thereon (due to budget probably!).
    Hmmm....counting them up......it's roughly about the same as the Doctor changing faces!! I may stand corrected!!:o
    Can anyone else work it out??
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd like to see the doctor attempt to change it to stay incognito only for the TARDIS to revert back each time :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    i'd like to see the doctor attempt to change it to stay incognito only for the TARDIS to revert back each time :)

That's a great idea Dgemba - just how you'd expect (and hope) "Sexy" might react :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Doesn't the Tardis have a perception filter anyway that makes it not noticeable?