Minor Chaseplay problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
Forum Member
Hi,

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I have noticed that if you chaseplay a recording, then stop playing it while it is recording, then play it again so as to continue where you left off after the recording has stopped, it resets back to the beginning, and you have to wind through in order to get back to where you were. As a temporary fix, you should be able to mark a bookmark when you stop, and use that to jump in where you left off.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to be honest I thought it rememebred where you were after partially watching in chase play. I know last night I was watching silent witness in chase play when I stopped to do something and then restarted from the same point.

This isn't quite what you describe (it was still recording when I played for the second time) so I'll have to check if it makes a difference if the recording has stopped on my machine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Yes, it remembers when you are still recording, as you say. It is only when the recording stops that it forgets.
  • kragbellkragbell Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I have noticed that if you chaseplay a recording, then stop playing it while it is recording, then play it again so as to continue where you left off after the recording has stopped, it resets back to the beginning, and you have to wind through in order to get back to where you were. As a temporary fix, you should be able to mark a bookmark when you stop, and use that to jump in where you left off.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update.

There are 2 ways to chase play.

1-Switch to the channel being recorded, rewind to where to want to start watching from and watch from there.

2-Pick up the programme from the "list button under the flap" and watch it from there.

Does this problem happen regardless of the method chosen to view the programme ?

AFAIK the safest way to chase play is picking from the list button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I only chaseplay using the list button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is one of those shared quirks in code by Toppy and Humax engineers. The people who coded the toppy were probably ex Humax anyway which explains some similarities of software 'features' such as this.

Anyway, I think it works like this: resume play works on all recordings in the playlist and recordings menu. When a recording finishes both PVRs will finally write all the details associated with the recording in some sort of header file or other.

When selecting a recording from the playlist before it has finished recording (chase play) both PVRs will still do resume play, but at the end of the recording the process described above still happens to the file, and in effect over wites resume play data on that file in that pocess, just that one time

So with chase play you can use resume play function even though its not a finished recording in the playlist, but it temp until the header file and its associated data have been written - which takes place at the end of a recording. If Humax were able to change this behaviour then it should mean its possible by Topfield and visa versa.

I wonder if this is the same process with bookmarks?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I noticed an oddity with Chase Play last night while chasing Top Gear.

I had paused my CP viewing while the program had been on for 38 mins (I think my viewing point was arund the 20 mins mark)

I left it paused for quite some time, so long in fact that the program had finished broadcasting and the scheduled recording had completely finished.

I didn’t get the usual (and very irritating) 'thrown-out-of-chase-play-into-live-tv-broadcast' syndrome. However, when I unpaused the program to continue watching it seemed to think that the entire recorded program was 38 minutes long. The counter sat at 38 mins for the last 20 minutes or so of the program.

It looked a bit odd, but didn’t seem to cause any problems at all.

RM