HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

Comments

• puttycallaputtycalla Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Imy786 wrote:
    Price will be a factor with regards to the hardware but remember hardware is a one-off cost while both disc formats cost the same, if you shop around online, and I would plump for Blu-ray over HD-DVD every time, no question.

Besides who really wants cheapo HD-DVD players from China?

Id be prepared to pay more for quality and with Sony you do get quality.

Remember Betamax was superior to VHS, do we really want an inferior product again just cos of the price?

Also do not underestimate the power of Playstation!

As I said before I was virulently anti-Sony and anti-PS3 until I actually played the damned thing and I admit i've had to eat lots of humble pie since.

PS3 absolutely and totally rocks, Blu-ray playback is beautiful and I think its a fantastic bargain for £400.

Im firmly in the Blu-ray camp!

Betamax was better than VHS for about one year until some of the advantages of Beta were added to VHS.

I would not buy a cheap nasty player myself but if Walmart can do their stuff its one way of ending the format war quickly.

HDDVD deserves to win because its region free (who wants to be stuck buying UK discs only?) and because Sony have caused the war by bringing BR in when HDDVD was more than adequate and approved by the DVD Forum.

We should all be enjoying HD movies now but thanks to Sony we have to wait before we know which format will be todays Beta
    Forum Member
    Betamax -SO inferior, it's still used by TV-stations around the world (+ digi-beta).

There's a lot of people knocking sony/ps3 (i've never owned any ps/sony product), but most of those seem to be people who don't know much about much.

The story in todays mail about the goat -is that some complete balls up, or an absolutely well manufactured story: you decide!

Kind regards,

MN

Betamax the home format has no relation to the broadcast formats whatsoever.

If Betamax had delivered broadcast quality there would have been no need for discs.

To compare a broadcast format to any home format is nonsense
    Forum Member
    lakes wrote:
    Blu-Ray do looked to have this won. its about 80% of studio's now going to use it.
    Plus Sony will be placing Blu-ray players in LCD home tv kits, Sony will be trying to keep the price down and are also working on the Blu-RAY player for the home pc (should be out soon if it not already).

Betamax was a god. Far better than VHS, only in the last year the BBC stopped using it .
    VHS won due to the getting dealsw with the studio's to get fimls out onto VHS fast.
    VHS was cheap to make , you got what you paid for.
    i had both, I also had Star Wars on Both but i would only use the Betamax for the film as the pic was so much better and the sound.

What is this crap about the BBC using Betamax.

They may have used Sony's broadcast format but to suggest the BBC were using the home consumer
    version is rubbish.
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puttycalla wrote:
    What is this crap about the BBC using Betamax.

They may have used Sony's broadcast format but to suggest the BBC were using the home consumer
    version is rubbish.

You need to read up mate.
    Till the start of this year the BBC still used Betamax for news reporting and other reports for shows where live feed was not needed.
    The BBC used Betacam, many tv station still use it today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote:
    Till the start of this year the BBC still used Betamax for news reporting and other reports for shows where live feed was not needed.

you reckon the BBC used betaMAX?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lakes wrote:
    "won" was more about the race to get as many studio's on board as they could.
    It would be great if both formats were supported but that is not going to happen for some time...if ever.

I don't consider studio support in it's basic form as that important after all they have got to release the movies and that's a whole different story.

If one format "won" say Blu-ray then Universal would releases their library and if HD-DVD was kicking ass (won't win outright thanks to PS3 userbase) then FOX would not ignore that product.

The whole idea is ridiculous since you can buy movies that are only on blu-ray in one market and on HD-DVD in another and that's before the anti-global market use of region coding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pres.F wrote:

how many links would you like

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue36/tna/

Homes under the hammer series 1, 2, 3 & 4:
    Documentary about people who buy properties in auction for BBC1 through Lion TV shot on Digital Betacam.
    Directors: Sarah Fisher, Fiona Ross, Carol Gates, Heidi Ellert, Jules Seymour & Mark Clemenston.

The Phantom of the opera:
    Definitive documentary about The Phantom of the Opera, and behind the scenes on feature film shot on Digital Betacam.
    Director: Jamie Crichton.

Creature Comforts:
    EPK & documentary about the making of Aardman’s popular TV show. Shot on Digital Betacam.
    Director: Rob Done.

Thunderbirds:
    Behind the scenes EPK & documentary about the live action feature film Thunderbirds I spent 3 months on set filming and the footage will air around the world and also on the DVD. Shot on Digital Betacam.

Under one roof:
    Reality show for ITV about people’s relationships presented by Tracey Cox shot on Digital Betacam:
    Director: Ian Holt.

Scrapheap challenge:
    Light entertainment program for Channel 4 which requires a great deal of handheld camera work. Shot on Betacam SX for RDF productions.
    Director: Various

The Brits are coming: series 1, 2 & 3.
    Documentary shot on Digi Beta sp for ITV about the Brit music awards. I filmed the location interviews with different pop bands.
    Director: Matthew Amos & Maria Knibbs

Don Roamin’
    Documentary shot on Digi Beta for Channel 4 following Monty Don on his travels through Dorset were we filmed five stories on different aspects of culture found around the area from Spiritual groups and customs to military life.
    Director: Alexis Giradet.

Blind Visions:
    Documentary shot on Digi Beta for the Foreign office and the Discovery Channel. It was shot entirely on location and was about blind people and how technology is helping them.
    Director: Bob Bentley.

2020 A History of the future:
    Drama / Documentary shot on Digi Beta for CNN and Sir Jeremy Isaacs Productions I filmed the drama sequences all on location around England and Wales. It was about how technology will change by the year 2020.
    Directors: Ian Holt & Bob Bentley.

in 1993 the bbc move to use Digi Beta but still run standard Betacam alongside.
    The original Betacam format records on cassettes loaded with oxide-formulated tape, which are exactly the same as its consumer-market oriented predecessor Betamax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    I don't consider studio support in it's basic form as that important after all they have got to release the movies and that's a whole different story.

If one format "won" say Blu-ray then Universal would releases their library and if HD-DVD was kicking ass (won't win outright thanks to PS3 userbase) then FOX would not ignore that product.

The whole idea is ridiculous since you can buy movies that are only on blu-ray in one market and on HD-DVD in another and that's before the anti-global market use of region coding.
    no you are right, the "won " thing did come from Sony, they see it if they get all the baking fron the film makers they will have the rights to put all the new films out only on blu-ray.
    Forum Member
    lakes wrote:

Now I've stopped laughing I can tell you its your time to read up.

No professional brodcaster has ever used a HOME video format for anything.

The closest to thsat situation was a handful of ITV regions using Hi-8 cameras for local news reporting.

But the quality was laughable and did not last long.

You dont seem to realise there is a difference between all the Sony formats.
    U-Matic,Betamax and Beta cam are all different.
    Forum Member
    lakes wrote:
    how many links would you like

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue36/tna/

Homes under the hammer series 1, 2, 3 & 4:
    Documentary about people who buy properties in auction for BBC1 through Lion TV shot on Digital Betacam.
    Directors: Sarah Fisher, Fiona Ross, Carol Gates, Heidi Ellert, Jules Seymour & Mark Clemenston.

The Phantom of the opera:
    Definitive documentary about The Phantom of the Opera, and behind the scenes on feature film shot on Digital Betacam.
    Director: Jamie Crichton.

Creature Comforts:
    EPK & documentary about the making of Aardman’s popular TV show. Shot on Digital Betacam.

Thunderbirds:
    Behind the scenes EPK & documentary about the live action feature film Thunderbirds I spent 3 months on set filming and the footage will air around the world and also on the DVD. Shot on Digital Betacam.

Under one roof:
    Reality show for ITV about people’s relationships presented by Tracey Cox shot on Digital Betacam:
    Director: Ian Holt.

Scrapheap challenge:
    Light entertainment program for Channel 4 which requires a great deal of handheld camera work. Shot on Betacam SX for RDF productions.
    Director: Various

The Brits are coming: series 1, 2 & 3.
    Documentary shot on Digi Beta sp for ITV about the Brit music awards. I filmed the location interviews with different pop bands.
    Director: Matthew Amos & Maria Knibbs

Don Roamin’
    Documentary shot on Digi Beta for Channel 4 following Monty Don on his travels through Dorset were we filmed five stories on different aspects of culture found around the area from Spiritual groups and customs to military life.
    Director: Alexis Giradet.

Blind Visions:
    Documentary shot on Digi Beta for the Foreign office and the Discovery Channel. It was shot entirely on location and was about blind people and how technology is helping them.
    Director: Bob Bentley.

2020 A History of the future:
    Drama / Documentary shot on Digi Beta for CNN and Sir Jeremy Isaacs Productions I filmed the drama sequences all on location around England and Wales. It was about how technology will change by the year 2020.
    Directors: Ian Holt & Bob Bentley.

in 1993 the bbc move to use Digi Beta but still run standard Betacam alongside.
    The original Betacam format records on cassettes loaded with oxide-formulated tape, which are exactly the same as its consumer-market oriented predecessor Betamax.

As I said you dont seem to realise that Beta cam and Digibeta are totally different to betamax.

Instead of using links that show up your lack of knowledge perhaps you should read up first on the formats.

Broadcasting from home video formats is way below acceptable quality as shown by some of the archive programmes that use clips that only exist on a home recording.
    The BBC would not even be permitted to use such a format for a standard broadcast as there are rules and regualations about quality
    Forum Member
    Pres.F wrote:

I know-the funnier thing is he's posted again to really show his ignorance :D:D:D

He really seems to think the BBC have been recording on Betamax.

His post shows he thinks that Digibeta and Betacam are the same as Betamax.

While the cassettes may be the same basic design ,the hardware certainly isn't :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you all seemed to miss this bit.

The original Betacam format records on cassettes loaded with oxide-formulated tape, which are exactly the same as its consumer-market oriented predecessor Betamax
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    puttycalla wrote:
    HDDVD deserves to win because its region free (who wants to be stuck buying UK discs only?) and because Sony have caused the war by bringing BR in when HDDVD was more than adequate and approved by the DVD Forum.

Blueray on my PS3 is Region Free so how does that make HDDVD the deserving vicktor ???????

We should all be enjoying HD movies now but thanks to Sony we have to wait before we know which format will be todays Beta

How can you blame just Sony, could you not blame Tosh as well..... Did Sony steal your sweeties when you were younger ????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote:

The original Betacam format records on cassettes loaded with oxide-formulated tape, which are exactly the same as its consumer-market oriented predecessor Betamax

Come on. Are you seriously suggesting that the BBC used Betamax?

let me get this straight.

Do you believe that Betamax and Betacam have the same bitrate and tape speed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pres.F wrote:
    Come on. Are you seriously suggesting that the BBC used Betamax?

let me get this straight.

Do you believe that Betamax and Betacam have the same bitrate and tape speed?
    no, but it is oxide-formulated tape, which are exactly the same as its consumer-market oriented predecessor Betamax.
    its like the old 8mm and then they moved to D8.
    it records in composite format

Betacam moves the tape at 12cm/sec and betamx move at 4cm/sec to 1.33cm/sec.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote:
    no, but it is oxide-formulated tape, which are exactly the same as its consumer-market oriented predecessor Betamax.
    its like the old 8mm and then they moved to D8.
    it records in composite format

Betacam moves the tape at 12cm/sec and betamx move at 4cm/sec to 1.33cm/sec.

very well looked up. :rolleyes:

so now I'm sure you've realised that the links referencing betacam and digital betacam are redundant as neither of them are betaMAX are they.

so I'll ask you again.

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol just found this, it dont say much but its a good read.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/2220972.stm

i love this one., go to the bottom of the page and read, very funny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2221797.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well yes, Betacam IS the child of BetaMax. its just the professional Betamax format. same as 8mm and D8, Its still 8mm just pumped up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    So does anyone see a sub £200 HD-DVD player at Walmart making people choose the player with least Movies to Watch..... I don't think so .....

I feel sorry for the Xbox peeps who have to buy an ad-on to get into the HD Disc market, if HD-DVD does win PS3' BR will still have the normal use, Gaming, Std DVD Etc... (and at no additional cost (or highly prized shelf space))

To ME on this thread, this still seems like an 'Anti Sony' war rather than a 'Format war' I thought there were also other manufacturers introducing BR as well as Sony... Like Pioneer, Samsung, Sharpe, Philips, LG, Lite-On, Dell..... Etc... Etc... to me these 'favoured market leading brands' will win more support than a £200 Player from ASDA .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean1474 wrote:
    So does anyone see a sub £200 HD-DVD player at Walmart making people choose the player with least Movies to Watch..... I don't think so .....

I feel sorry for the Xbox peeps who have to buy an ad-on to get into the HD Disc market, if HD-DVD does win PS3' BR will still have the normal use, Gaming, Std DVD Etc... (and at no additional cost (or highly prized shelf space))

To ME on this thread, this still seems like an 'Anti Sony' war rather than a 'Format war' I thought there were also other manufacturers introducing BR as well as Sony... Like Pioneer, Samsung, Sharpe, Philips, LG, Lite-On, Dell..... Etc... Etc... to me these 'favoured market leading brands' will win more support than a £200 Player from ASDA .......

Blu Ray players are coming out from

Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Blu-ray .com

Blu-ray is currently supported by more than 180 of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer, recording media, video game and music companies. The format also has broad support from the major movie studios as a successor to today's DVD format. In fact, seven of the eight major movie studios (Disney, Fox, Warner, Paramount, Sony, Lionsgate and MGM) are supporting the Blu-ray format and five of them (Disney, Fox, Sony, Lionsgate and MGM) are releasing their movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote:
    well yes, Betacam IS the child of BetaMax. its just the professional Betamax format. same as 8mm and D8, Its still 8mm just pumped up.

they are all different formats aren't they?

I have AVI , 720 x 480 @ 29.97 FPS on my hard drive

I also have WMV , 320x 240 @ 15.00 FPS

both stored on the same hard drive....but they are different FORMATS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pres.F wrote:
    they are all different formats aren't they?

I have AVI , 720 x 480 @ 29.97 FPS on my hard drive

I also have WMV , 320x 240 @ 15.00 FPS

both stored on the same hard drive....but they are different FORMATS.
    Not Sure the AV and WMV is a good comparison but i see what you are saying.

Betamax and Betacam have a lot more in common that AV and WMV, In 1982 Betamax on its own was use by TV stations, they found that during edit the tape was too thin and not as wide as they would have liked, Sony then gave the tv and Film inds the Betacam tape, at this time it was just betamax tape made a a biiger clear film, the coating was 100% the same but the tape was wider and could be slowed in speed ot even speed up if needed. it stayed like this from many years till the Digi Beta then the Digi Beta sp.

The BBC do have a stock of betaMax and betaCam . dont forget Sony in 1982 also come out with the betacam camera and this was seen as the way to go with tv shows .
    Forum Member
    lakes wrote:

Do you still not understand how silly it is to say that the BBC records Betamax ?
    Forum Member
    Dean1474 wrote:
    Blueray on my PS3 is Region Free so how does that make HDDVD the deserving vicktor ???????

How can you blame just Sony, could you not blame Tosh as well..... Did Sony steal your sweeties when you were younger ????

Blu-Ray on your PS3 is not region free.

I'm not sure where you got that idea from .

Do you know of a multiregion hack for BR before anyone else does?

While US discs from certain companies like Warner and Paramount are not being coded,BR as a system ,both hardware and software are officially region locked.

HDDVD was the official successor to dvd as approved by the DVD Forum.

Had Sony not been so keen to add another defunct format to its ever increasing list of format failures the HD disc market would be thriving with early adopters buying by the shedload instead of most sensibly sitting it out until the war ends one way or the other.