Tomb Raider

Comments

• biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I can't wait for this. The only game in the series that I haven't liked so far is tomb raider 3.

thats random why the 3rd one ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    It's nice to actually have a review of a game a few weeks before release for once! They obviously feel confident that they've got a good game on their hands. My interest just shot up for this, although in a month where God of War: Ascension, Gears of War: Judgement, and Bioshock Infinite are coming out, i don't know if i'll have the time. I know we've got new consoles coming out in a few months (hopefully), but cramming all of these releases into the first few months of 2013 must only hurt sales.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking forward to this game for ages. I've pre-ordered it but there's always that worry in the back of your mind that it won't live up to expectations because of the hype surrounding it but I'm so glad to see it getting great reviews. Hopefully I'll love it just as much as the reviewers. Can't wait!
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    thats random why the 3rd one ?

There just did not seem to be much tomb raiding going on compared to the first two games , I think the first 4 or 5 levels were all based outside.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the TOP SECRET AMD TECH used on the PC version will be their new hair rendering.. or something. PC screens tomorrow then, I expect.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, them reviews are very gory!

I'm getting bored of burning buildings though which were in unchartered and farcry3. I also cant believe the story is the same as farcry3.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What could be more exciting than a brand new Tomb Raider game..... oh I know, the very likely prospect of a second game and probably a third, all likely to be next gen!

Guarantees a next gen console for me. :D
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Very excited for this game. Seems like it's taken the best bits from earlier TR games (puzzles/exploration), mixes it up with Uncharted type visuals/combat and plays with a Metroid-inspired level design. So great to know it's not just a linear shoot-fest as many were predicting!

The more I'm reading the more it sounds like Shadow Complex in 3D and that can only be a great thing.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this. The only game in the series that I haven't liked so far is tomb raider 3.

I'm close to starting 3 and was looking forward to it! Mainly due to the abandoned tube level.
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    I'm close to starting 3 and was looking forward to it! Mainly due to the abandoned tube level.

I may try and complete it someday. I still have my ps1 memory card with my saves on it. Goodness kbows if it will still work though as it's at least 16 years old.

Also I see some people playing the new tomb raider on the xbox already. Either they have got the game extremely early, or as I suspect they have pirated it. If it's the latter I sure hope they get banned from live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excited but sceptical too, the last few were so damn short and I know this one is too so not thrilled but times change and the original series probably just feel longer because of all the nostalgia, glad to hear its not a completely fixed prince of persia style platforming experience. Plus who doesnt love bows?!

Paid for my shopto preorder so awaiting release now, good to have Lara back and the game does look pretty hardcore what with all the murdering of mooks :P
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Liked the look of it from the early videos but haven't been following it since. I've not read any reviews so no to spoil it but its good to see that it's getting high scores everywhere. All I know about it is its Lara when she first started out, that's it! It'll be good to play through it without knowing what's meant to happen & letting the story unfold.

I've got it on preorder from shopto too, hoping it could be here over the weekend
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    •Edge: 8 - Tomb Raider retains its own identity, and much of that is down to its British heroine. Whether she's huddled up against the cold or sending five men to their doom with an explosive arrow, this is still Lara Croft, one of gaming's most distinctive heroes - and now she has a personality that extends far beyond the bounds of her bra straps.

•CVG: 9.0 - Violent, scary, ambitious, inventive: unconvincing characters can't mar a blockbuster return to form for Tomb Raider.

•GamesRadar: 4.5 - Even if you've never been a huge fan of Lara Croft's fortune-hunting adventures, Tomb Raider is sure to impress. Its expert sense of pacing, captivating setting, and dark tone create a truly memorable experience that's further enhanced by an immense level of detail.

•Eurogamer: 8/10 - Beneath the noise there is an engaging story clamouring to be heard, and there are moments of true beauty, serenity and pathos fighting for attention.

•IGN: 9.1 - Tomb Raider is well-written, sympathetic, exciting, beautiful and just incredibly well-made.

•OXM UK: 8 - Tomb Raider is an excellent game that, while paying tribute to Lara Croft's heritage, certainly feels like a new beginning - mechanically as well as thematically. It's visually dazzling, narratively affecting, dangerously near best-in-class when it comes to solid shooting, vertiginous platforming and ballsy set plays...

•GameSpot: 8.5 - The single-player campaign here is the main attraction, and it is excellent. It doesn't try to rewrite the book on third-person action adventure games. But with its excellent controls, engaging heroine, thrilling combat, and fascinating setting, it doesn't need to.

•Kotaku: Yes - The truth here is that this game is a finely crafted reboot, one that ensures that Lara Croft herself won't become a relic of the past.

•Destructoid: 8.5 - This first impression is an awkward obfuscation, however, one that soon erodes to reveal a savvy, thoughtful, and above all, immensely enjoyable game. In fact, I'm happy to go on record as saying this is the best Tomb Raider game I've played.

•The Telegraph: 5/5 - Tomb Raider sits comfortably as one of this generation's best action games. It fixes the flaws of past games in the series, without straying too far from its roots to be alienating. Lara's never been represented better.

•Polygon: 9 - It's easy to point out the many ways that Tomb Raider borrows bits and pieces from other popular games of the last five years, but Crystal Dynamics has blended these disparate strengths into something remarkable.

•Penny Arcade Report: No score - The missteps are small and few, and the triumphs are many and large.

•Digital Spy: 5/5 - With a well written cast of characters, mightily impressive production techniques, sumptuous visuals, tight platforming and surprisingly enjoyable combat, Tomb Raider is most definitely a release to be treasured.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Also I see some people playing the new tomb raider on the xbox already. Either they have got the game extremely early, or as I suspect they have pirated it. If it's the latter I sure hope they get banned from live.
    Why? How does it affect you?
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Why? How does it affect you?

You serious? Piracy affects future development of games. Ever wondered why we have a CoD sequel every year? Think I can count on one hand how many original games I've played since the original Tomb Raider (and T Rex scene) blew me away all the way back in 1996.

They make money yes, but those who nick 'em off the net ultimately mean less money being spent on trying something original, and the safer 'all bets are off' option of a sequel instead. Same for music, same for films. The internet has partly by default given us a world full of unoriginal, safe and 'in the middle' content (and the odd decent sequel which this looks like it thankfully is).
    Forum Member
    I think you're giving piracy more credit than it deserves in that department. We have a CoD sequel every year because people demand it and queue for miles to get their hands on it, how you make the connection between that and piracy is lost on me. (Not to mention the idea of 1 download = 1 lost sale is completely flawed)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Neither.
    Did you know what your friends are playing on xbox can be faked? I thought that was common knowledge now a days!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Not to mention the idea of 1 download = 1 lost sale is completely flawed)

Who said that?

What is true though is that piracy does some harm to sales.
  • General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    VincentH wrote: »
    You serious? Piracy affects future development of games. Ever wondered why we have a CoD sequel every year? Think I can count on one hand how many original games I've played since the original Tomb Raider (and T Rex scene) blew me away all the way back in 1996.

They make money yes, but those who nick 'em off the net ultimately mean less money being spent on trying something original, and the safer 'all bets are off' option of a sequel instead. Same for music, same for films. The internet has partly by default given us a world full of unoriginal, safe and 'in the middle' content (and the odd decent sequel which this looks like it thankfully is).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kotick
    The reason you have a CoD sequel every year is down to this cun.... man. I'd post up a link to the Encyclopedia Dramatica article about him, but I'd get banned probably.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Surely piracy on consoles has got to be the lowest out of all the mediums out there

with console games its not like movies or songs were you just download the film/song then off you pop to watch/listen to them on your PC easily.

with games there's serious hacking involved with the console then more hassle with burning a game to the dvd/bluray transferring to a fat32 HDD
    plus even more hassle of actually downloading 8gbs worth from torrent or wherever sure its all doable if youve got the stuff but then you need to worry about patches and so on and blah blah blah its just not worth it
    Forum Member
    Who said that?

What is true though is that piracy does some harm to sales.
    Even that much can't be said with certainty, strange as it may sound.
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    Surely piracy on consoles has got to be the lowest out of all the mediums out there

with console games its not like movies or songs were you just download the film/song then off you pop to watch/listen to them on your PC easily.

with games there's serious hacking involved with the console then more hassle with burning a game to the dvd/bluray transferring to a fat32 HDD
    plus even more hassle of actually downloading 8gbs worth from torrent or wherever sure its all doable if youve got the stuff but then you need to worry about patches and so on and blah blah blah its just not worth it

There were a 100000 xboxes banned just after the 2009 mw2 ban wave si I don't think it is that small of a problem.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it a go, though they don't feel like Tomb Raider games anymore just look at the first one with the Incredible music simplistic gameplay and it felt so atmospheric all this has gone, it's just an Assassins Creed now and then recent ones just don't cut it.

Well lets wait and see eh :)
    Forum Member
    I'll give it a go, though they don't feel like Tomb Raider games anymore just look at the first one with the Incredible music simplistic gameplay and it felt so atmospheric all this has gone, it's just an Assassins Creed now and then recent ones just don't cut it.

Well lets wait and see eh :)

I do think the earlier games were more about the puzzles.