Options

If I Was Younger

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many people here advocating immigration to another country for personal betterment as an answer. Makes a change from a lot of the usual 'bash the immigrant' chat we see.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats one reason
    So you don't like all this immigration so would want to become an immigrant yourself? OK, we get the message.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    To what Utopian paradise, if you can't make a go of it here why think you can anywhere else. I would be just as ordinary in the US, Canada or Australia - at least we don't have to worry about being shot or bitten by venomous creatures.:)

No you don't understand. It's only the UK which isn't perfect.

In every other country in the world one's income is unlimited. Public services are first rate, but governments have found really creative ways to fund them because taxation is non-existent. Healthcare is provided in brand new state-of-the art facilities and everybody has access to treatments which are always successful and are provided by professionals who never make mistakes. As a result death and disease is on the point of eradication in every other country.

Education too, is faultless. Every child, no matter how poor their cognitive abilities, achieves a standard in every single subject that would merit a congratulatory first here, and they do that by the age of seven and a half.

Everywhere else the weather is always wonderful (whatever the individuals's own personal 'wonderful' is), and the landscape is lush and verdant despite a complete absence of rain.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    That's a very cynical view. It's very easy to argue with the OP's sentiments. It's not all doom and gloom here, despite what the likes of the Daily Mail report. The UK is still a great place to live and work. I travel a lot, but wouldn't want my home anywhere else.

As for the British weather, which someone mentioned, variety is the spice of life. I spent a whole Summer and Autumn working in Miami a couple of years ago. Sound like paradise? The continuous heat and humidity, together with daily thunder storms and downpours made me long for the more temperate and varied British climate.
    Sometimes I think people need to spend some time abroad just to appreciate this country. It's not all lands of milk and honey in north America or Australasia contrary to popular myth. I must admit I loathe winter because I have SAD, but the beauty of this country is that sunnier climes are just a 4 hour flight away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Why do you keep coming back?

Various reasons. A masters degree, new job, latest time is due to my wife being pregnant and wanting her family around. Luckily I am in a career where there is a worldwide shortage of us, so its not difficult to move around.

Anyway, the post it wasnt about me per se, it was more to highlight your condescending, dismissive "grumpy, old men who are all mouth and no trousers and just live here to complain" attitude.

Some people have genuine grevences about the way this country has been heading, and you cant argue that we are not seeing record levels of emmigration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    No you don't understand. It's only the UK which isn't perfect.

In every other country in the world one's income is unlimited. Public services are first rate, but governments have found really creative ways to fund them because taxation is non-existent. Healthcare is provided in brand new state-of-the art facilities and everybody has access to treatments which are always successful and are provided by professionals who never make mistakes. As a result death and disease is on the point of eradication in every other country.

Education too, is faultless. Every child, no matter how poor their cognitive abilities, achieves a standard in every single subject that would merit a congratulatory first here, and they do that by the age of seven and a half.

Everywhere else the weather is always wonderful (whatever the individuals's own personal 'wonderful' is), and the landscape is lush and verdant despite a complete absence of rain.

Nice try. Fundementally people are selfish. Most dont care about every child, or evryones salary, or everyones standard of living.

Theres huge inequallity in the States, but that just means that for the lucky few the standard of living is far higher. If you think guilt would stop you enjoying that fair enough, but, evidently, to many that is a slice of utopia.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I've travelled all around their world, and especially know the US well.

Honestly, it's a bunch of cr*p everywhere and Britain is by far one of the best places to live in the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    I've travelled all around their world, and especially know the US well.

Honestly, it's a bunch of cr*p everywhere and Britain is by far one of the best places to live in the world.

Everyones entitled to an opinion.

Even if theyre wrong :D
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Friar wrote: »
    Everyones entitled to an opinion.

Even if theyre wrong :D

I should clarify, of course the US is also one of the best places to live in the world, if you do the right things. But no place on earth is worth a permanent move from the UK, in my opinion!
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    So you don't like all this immigration so would want to become an immigrant yourself? OK, we get the message.. :rolleyes:

I feel as though I live in a foreign country so why not , if I was able go to one :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel as though I live in a foreign country so why not , if I was able go to one :rolleyes:

Going through what you are, aren't you worried about you being the cause of upset for the indigenous peoples of the country you go to?
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats one reason

So you dislike immigration into this country but are quite happy to become an immigrant yourself elsewhere?

Slightly hypocritcal isn't it?
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    It is hard to argue with the sentiments of the OP.

Not hard for me. I love this country and I believe we have lots to be proud of.

The grass is rarely greener elsewhere.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
    See 37,
    My life was much easier and happier without PC
  • Options
    ClickNeggClickNegg Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm pretty sure uncle fester wouldn't go anywhere he knew he wasn't wanted

i expect the first thing to do would be to show the local populace of your destination that you have something to offer and not go with your hand out. many brits who go abroad generally go with something in their pockets, which doesnt seem the case of many who come here.
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always swings & roundabouts......I emigrated at the beginning of the year & do miss the UK......most notably the variety of the weather, the papers, TV & being able to get things readily.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See 37,
    My life was much easier and happier without PC

Sorry, I should have read the rest of the posts before I asked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lardness wrote: »
    Always swings & roundabouts......I emigrated at the beginning of the year & do miss the UK......most notably the variety of the weather, the papers, TV & being able to get things readily.....

where are you if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClickNegg wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure uncle fester wouldn't go anywhere he knew he wasn't wanted

i expect the first thing to do would be to show the local populace of your destination that you have something to offer and not go with your hand out. many brits who go abroad generally go with something in their pockets, which doesnt seem the case of many who come here.

I don't agree that many immigrants come here for handouts at all. Nearly all I have met all work and are doing well for themselves. You can't judge what you read in the daily mail as what applies for all immigrants.
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in the West Indies..... St Vincent. it's fairly backwards, quite poor but also expensive. Good socially, though. Beer is cheap....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree that many immigrants come here for handouts at all. Nearly all I have met all work and are doing well for themselves. You can't judge what you read in the daily mail as what applies for all immigrants.
    I didn't say they were coming for handouts. I said they came with little in their pockets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say they were coming for handouts. I said they came with little in their pockets.

If they are willing to work and make a better life for themselves then good for them. It shows courage, drive ambition... all good facets which our society will benefit from.