You can't listen to FM/DAB on Virgin Trains!

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Went down to London for the budget day protest, one of the fun things I like to do is listen to all the different stations down the West Coast Main Line, get their RDS etc and see how far I can listen to them for and so on. I had a pocket DAB with me and a Sony Ericsson FM radio with me (until I dropped it down a loo in Chester station with too much in my hands!). Then as I realised I was on a Virgin Train, I knew things would be bad as I had to resort to the FM radio on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini which is great for having RDS and even reading Radiotext but for some reason is the lousiest phone yet for FM reception whilst the Sony Ericsson is almost as good as a car radio for a handheld! I got the replacement off Ebay now but I had an almost radio free day in London, I briefly marvelled at how great their DAB choice is with no less than 3 local multiplexes full of stations I wouldn't mind having here and in my car such as Gold and Absolute 70's and more community radio and Asian options. I briefly got the Herts, Beds and Bucks multiplex for about 10 seconds on the train.

What is the technical explanation for why Virgin Trains screens out FM and DAB so completely, yet Arriva and London Midland trains don't, I'm sure I will be in a tinier minority than those who hoped the Monster Raving Loony Party could have won a seat in the election just gone in preferring other trains for this reason alone! Presumably it isn't deliberate, unless it is to promote their onboard train wi-fi which sources mobile internet off multiple networks, because I was also finding it pretty difficult to connect to EE 3G/4G along the way too!

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a document on the Ofcom website about mobile signal problems on trains, I suppose the technical reasons behind it might apply to FM/DAB too.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/telecoms-research/not-spots/rail-not-spots.pdf

Page 16 (or 24 based on the PDF page numbers) gives this explanation:
    A train carriage can be considered to be like a „Faraday cage‟ which is
    generally used to block radio frequency signals from getting in to (or out
    of) an area. The metal skin attenuates the incoming cellular signal by
    varying amounts depending on the carriage design and carrier
    frequency of the signal (The higher the frequency the more attenuation
    to the signal). In more modern trains the attenaution can be up to -30
    dB (This means the RF signal needs to 1000 times stronger to provide
    an equivalent service to users outside the train) this is because trains
    are now designed to be sealed units to enhance the heating, air
    conditioning and ventilation systems.

On some trains, the carriage windows, which can sometimes offer
    slightly reduced attenuation, now use a metallic film designed to act as
    a sun shade for passengers. This metallic film also attenuates the RF
    signal thus making signal penetration much more challenging. Older
    train designs with large windows and no metallic film have lower train
    carriage penetration levels (around -10 dB) and this could be the
    difference between making a successful call and receiving no service
    whilst on-board the train.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you can just use the wifi to stream from TuneIn? It would be much better quality then as well.
  • Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Surely you can just use the wifi to stream from TuneIn? It would be much better quality then as well.

He was going to protest against the budget. I doubt he would pay those evil capitalists at Virgin Trains for WiFi!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is the technical explanation for why Virgin Trains screens out FM and DAB so completely,

Yes, probably the metal film in the windows, South West Trains carriages are exactly the same, radio reception is virtually impossible, unless the transmitter is line of sight, and nice and close.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on the train company. CrossCountry uses the same trains as Virgin, and they make you pay for their wifi, except in first class. You generally can't use 3G either as the same RF screening works wonderfully against mobile phone signals too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Depends on the train company. CrossCountry uses the same trains as Virgin, and they make you pay for their wifi, except in first class. You generally can't use 3G either as the same RF screening works wonderfully against mobile phone signals too

Yes !! I tried streaming BBC radio using SWT's WifI service, it lasted about 30 seconds, before I was blocked (It states that streaming is not permitted when you initially log on)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other words, take your Ipod on Virgin!
  • DontianlaileDontianlaile Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    You can get some DAB reception if you stand near the doors on Virgin Voyager trains but not when sitting down as mentioned by the OP. You can get some DAB reception when sitting down on Eurostar and Arriva Trains Wales trains.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    MW/AM portables are the new DAB for trains, use 10 times less battery power and a more stable signal on long journeys. :cool:
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    MW/AM portables are the new DAB for trains, use 10 times less battery power and a more stable signal on long journeys. :cool:

You are kidding? AM signals are completely blocked too by the faraday cage effect, and then all that's left is the electrical interference from the train traction & fluorescent lighting.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    You are kidding? AM signals are completely blocked too by the faraday cage effect, and then all that's left is the electrical interference from the train traction & fluorescent lighting.

Well they used to work better than FM for me, though I haven't much recent experience on trains to be honest so things may have deteriorated, which if so is a pity. Still better than FM/DAB on long car journeys though!
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is a common issue with newer trains - East Midlands Trains from the East Midlands or Sheffield to London are the same. Although I've taken that route on a Sunday and it was an older train meaning you could get FM and DAB.

Bit annoying but a good time to catch up on podcasts!
  • aayronaayron Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I agree with the previous person regarding East Midlands Trains. The old HST (125) trains are fine for radio and mobile reception but the newer Meridian trains have metallized windows which block out the signals.

One tip is that some of their Meridian trains have carriages that are part first and part standard class. Sit in there and you can usually connect to the free first-class WiFi signal. :)
  • midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly connected but ive recently stayed in a hotel near Tower Bridge and couldnt get any DAB multiplex and FM was very hissy on BBC London and LBC.

Not sure why that would be unless something in the build.

Steve
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly connected but ive recently stayed in a hotel near Tower Bridge and couldnt get any DAB multiplex and FM was very hissy on BBC London and LBC.

Not sure why that would be unless something in the build.

Errr, lots of steel ?
  • PhilipSPhilipS Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, but - how much bandwidth does that offer? Presumably the Wifi gets its internet connectivity through (one or more) 3G/4G connection(s), and that's shared between the users on the trains. My experience on FGW - where we don't have metal-coated windows,and 3G works OK - is that the wifi can often be slower.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilipS wrote: »
    Yes, but - how much bandwidth does that offer? Presumably the Wifi gets its internet connectivity through (one or more) 3G/4G connection(s), and that's shared between the users on the trains. My experience on FGW - where we don't have metal-coated windows,and 3G works OK - is that the wifi can often be slower.
    I gave up with the FGW wifi as 3G was a lot faster.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FarceGarbageWestern didn't even provide Wi-Fi on the London-Penzance route the last time I looked.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    My previous car had that metal coating on the windows, it was great - you could leave it parked in the sun without it getting uncomfortably hot - but then aftermarket GPS satnavs became popular and they can't get a signal through the glass so car manufacturers stopped using it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    My previous car had that metal coating on the windows, it was great - you could leave it parked in the sun without it getting uncomfortably hot - but then aftermarket GPS satnavs became popular and they can't get a signal through the glass so car manufacturers stopped using it.

I'd have thought the opposite, it makes the idea of a factory fitted Sat Nav easier to sell.
    Why would the car manufacturers damage that potential source of income ?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FarceGarbageWestern didn't even provide Wi-Fi on the London-Penzance route the last time I looked.

The HSTs are being fitted with it (and a lot have been).

I have personally used FGW wifi a few times between Cornwall and Plymouth
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Virgin Trains have had to get their carriages adapted so that mobile phone signals could be received by passengers as exactly the same problem was being experienced in trying to make calls,
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    I'd have thought the opposite, it makes the idea of a factory fitted Sat Nav easier to sell.
    Why would the car manufacturers damage that potential source of income ?

It was part of the 'climate' options pack (air con, eletrically heated windscreen and heat blocking glass). I guess people stopped buying it, by the time I replaced my car the special glass was no longer included in the climate pack.
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up here the worst trains for trying to get DAB, FM or AM is Crosscountry. The crazy thing about that is they are the trains that do the longest trips from Scotland right down to Cornwall. Then if that's not enough to make things badder they block some radio streams on their wifi which you have to pay for. On Transpennie Express trains FM is quite bad and some DAB multiplexs. I get North Yorkshire ok from Scarborough to York although on the train it goes in Malton station although Minster on 104.7 comes in strong. DAB is still bad untill you get past Acklam Wold transmitter which must be one way only. Going further west you loose Leeds multiplex just after Garforth which is bad when on the bus I get that to Barton Hill dual carrageway. Then in Machester they have what must be the only dance station in the UK on 88.4 but I only get that on the train as it's getting into Piccadily station then I have to watch the crowds. Northern trains are good for getting signals as I've got Yorkshire Coast on 96.2 in Beverley station which is near Hull. East Coast which is now Virgin I had no problems with going to Newark. And the signals were good on East Midlands when I did a ride from Sheffield to Manchester although the signals are bad in the Peak District even if your not in a train or bus. So that is a lot of adivce if you try using your radio on public transport in the North of England.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Up here the worst trains for trying to get DAB, FM or AM is Crosscountry.
    That is because many of their trains also originate from Virgin, back from when they had the Cross Country franchise