Options

Film4: Enough is enough

StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
I've grumbled about Film4 in the past, but they have excelled themselves today. The channel appears to have a programmer with a fascination for westerns - hardly a day goes by without one, even two, a day. But today? Four. FOUR! Consecutively! Admittedly, it also seems to be a haven for worn out old British B&W war films (more my taste, but would not want to undermine the point - and have they worn out Sink The Bismarck!yet??) Surely they have enough of a library for better variety.

Whatever genre you like this is going too far, surely. Now, if only I could find a way to register such disgruntlement with them..

Comments

• Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should ask them for a refund.
  • Options
    ArrowArrow Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Ever thought about selecting another channel, or is that out of the question?
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spotted that myself, they seems to have "binges" - Randolph Scott is doing very well at the moment,

Still whatever about a moan about afternoon westerns the grinding inevitable Twilight and 27 Dresses is far worse!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a film channel. I like movies. I only have Freeview.
    And if any smart alec suggests Movies for Men or Movie Mix... please.

With 125 years of cinema there is an infinite variety- so why they have to plough this narrow furrow so often and so much is infuriating. The western as a genre died out for a reason...

Randolph Scott, whose performances give a tree a run for its money as to which is more wooden - yes... it is rather how the Channel 5 stable have kept Stephen Segal in the public eye (damn them...). Hope he sends them a fruit basket at Christmas or something.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Sadly I don't think film channels in the UK have all that many old movies to pick from anymore, or so I read a while ago.

It's the same story with TCM which shows the same old films over and over again who also have a fascination with showing westerns which is a shame because TCM used to be such a great movie channel.

There is one promising film channel which lauched on Sky back in June called 'Talking Pictures TV'. Yes the quality of some of the movies on this channel are not the best, but there are some which aren't too bad. Most of the films on this channel are also very rare in terms of how often they get shown on TV as well.

Film Four used to be such a great channel also in the days when it was Pay per View. But since it became a free channel, they keep repeating the same films over and over again.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Channel 4, E4, ITV 2 & 4, Channel 5 and it's sister channels and Horror for a start.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    The channel is run by a bunch of cowboys?
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Arrow wrote: »
    Ever thought about selecting another channel, or is that out of the question?

I'd suggest Film4+1 :D

Perhaps they're having an unannounced Western season
  • Options
    VerrillionVerrillion Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Suspect things are not as straightforward as it appears. I keep seeing films that Id like on different channels doing the rounds. After sky and first time showing they seem to lease out the films to tv in sucession and result in same film being shown within three weeks on 20 channels one after another. Think its way film distributor is dishing the films out is having this weird blanket effect of swamping tv.
    Yes on the present films out John Wayne seems to be having seasons in the .
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With 125 years of cinema there is an infinite variety- so why they have to plough this narrow furrow so often and so much is infuriating. The western as a genre died out for a reason...

Randolph Scott, whose performances give a tree a run for its money as to which is more wooden - yes... it is rather how the Channel 5 stable have kept Stephen Segal in the public eye (damn them...). Hope he sends them a fruit basket at Christmas or something.
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    Sadly I don't think film channels in the UK have all that many old movies to pick from anymore, or so I read a while ago.

It's the same story with TCM which shows the same old films over and over again who also have a fascination with showing westerns which is a shame because TCM used to be such a great movie channel.

There is one promising film channel which lauched on Sky back in June called 'Talking Pictures TV'. Yes the quality of some of the movies on this channel are not the best, but there are some which aren't too bad. Most of the films on this channel are also very rare in terms of how often they get shown on TV as well.

Film Four used to be such a great channel also in the days when it was Pay per View. But since it became a free channel, they keep repeating the same films over and over again.
    Verrillion wrote: »
    Suspect things are not as straightforward as it appears. I keep seeing films that Id like on different channels doing the rounds. After sky and first time showing they seem to lease out the films to tv in sucession and result in same film being shown within three weeks on 20 channels one after another. Think its way film distributor is dishing the films out is having this weird blanket effect of swamping tv.
    Yes on the present films out John Wayne seems to be having seasons in the .

I understand the main issue with screening films is who has the rights - sometimes all over the place, and so the cost to purchase a bank of films from a distributor/source is prohibitive as tv channels know that Joe Public can access the film online via youTube and via services such as Amazon/Lovefilm and Sky etc... The returns audience wise probably don't justify the outlay. Annoying as it is to pay a "sub" or fee to watch a film you really want to see that is what I have done for the last few years and have seen hundreds of (good/great) films that have never/will probably never been shown on Freeview/terrestrial tv. For those of you unaware there is also a thread on here that highlights the premieres coming to Freeview:- http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1525596&page=88
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    Westerns always attract big audiences, hence Film 4 and ITV4 keep showing them.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westerns always attract big audiences, hence Film 4 and ITV4 keep showing them.

Up here we'd like to see some Northerns, which would be a load of people in flat caps cycling round shooting people.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Spotted that myself, they seems to have "binges" - Randolph Scott is doing very well at the moment,

Still whatever about a moan about afternoon westerns the grinding inevitable Twilight and 27 Dresses is far worse!

I used to be obsessed with that movie (27 Dresses). I wanted to see it i the cinema when it came out but everytime I planned to go something cropped up, which may have been an excuse. Anyway I bought the DVD and watched it once before giving it to the charity shop. It was absolute rubbish! And it looked great in the trailer. Never read or seen Twilight but I don't get the appeal of it all.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More > Movies.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've grumbled about Film4 in the past, but they have excelled themselves today. The channel appears to have a programmer with a fascination for westerns - hardly a day goes by without one, even two, a day. But today? Four. FOUR! Consecutively! Admittedly, it also seems to be a haven for worn out old British B&W war films (more my taste, but would not want to undermine the point - and have they worn out Sink The Bismarck!yet??) Surely they have enough of a library for better variety.

Whatever genre you like this is going too far, surely. Now, if only I could find a way to register such disgruntlement with them..

They are cheap filler.

I suspect the channel is having to cost cut a bit more than usual.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are hundreds of cheap DVDs at your local charity shops who will put your money to good causes. Give them back when you are finished with them and buy some more. Do a little good with your life instead of moaning.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horror Channel is mixture of movies and TV programmes, But at least they don't show westerns.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you noticed how as he's aging, George Clooney is starting to look like Randolph Scott?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horror Channel is mixture of movies and TV programmes, But at least they don't show westerns.
    They have started showing The Wild Wild West TV series.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    They have started showing The Wild Wild West TV series.

ha true buts its got gadgets and the series gets more fanciful over the four series I understand. Sort of Avengers in the 1880s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are hundreds of cheap DVDs at your local charity shops who will put your money to good causes. Give them back when you are finished with them and buy some more. Do a little good with your life instead of moaning.

Who says I don't, you pompous.....
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    my local cash generator does 20 dvds for £5 and recent tiltles too so cheap enough

dont be a cheapskate
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    More > Movies.

This channels has renamed Movie Mix on Freeview for some reason, a channel they did mention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is wrong with some people here?

I was criticising the lack of imagination in the programming of Film4. I have a large film library; I buy DVDs from charity shops; I top up the collection from the likes of the Computer Exchange. With the best will in the world you can't own every film...

So I'm not a "cheapskate"; I'm not a nihilist who will do no "good in the world instead of complaining" - simply bewildered at why a broadcaster who supports film and film production is so wedded to showing so many films so regularly from a single genre. How often do they show musicals, as an example??
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCM shows several episodes of Gunsmoke every day (not a bad Western series at all) and lots of feature length Westerns. It should actually be renamed The Cowboy Channel.It's quite interesting to spot bit part players who later became stars.