Options

Bid TV in trouble - can't pay suppliers, staff

Comments

• Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Remember, bid and price drop swapped channels on Sky on 28th February, with bid getting the better number, 645.

This could suggest that price drop's days are numbered.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    If they did close down, Two entertainment channels can go on to Freeview in there slot.

Maybe CNBC/Bloomberg and a music channel could go on Freeview instead.
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, he is an entertainer rather than a salesman, I can remember him being on kids shows on the BBC years ago.

Just type in 'bid tv peter simon' on Youtube. There's some comedy gold (not the channel!) there :D
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watch Peter Simon for the entertainment as they say better than some programmes!

His word stumbling is quite hilarious
    He is on usually Friday evening 10---0130......sat evening same times
    Sunday 6:30 pm till 10pm

We never buy anything....his descriptions of some of the TAT they sell is astonishing

😝
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so ive been watching price drop for the last few days. They are just selling the same things every day, like at the moment, 3 sizes 2 in one, 4 in one and 6 in the other is it really worth it?
    many years ago my mum brought things of BidTV, when it was called Bid UpTV.. my god its changed so much since then..
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so ive been watching price drop for the last few days. They are just selling the same things every day, like at the moment, 3 sizes 2 in one, 4 in one and 6 in the other is it really worth it?
    many years ago my mum brought things of BidTV, when it was called Bid UpTV.. my god its changed so much since then..

Mark ryes seems to be selling the same products, no new suppliers then ?
    And not many of the assistants are on.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking, he is an entertainer rather than a salesman, I can remember him being on kids shows on the BBC years ago.

I know, but thought best not to mention he was once Phil Schofield's original "gopher". :D

Is it me, or when I've taken a glance at Bid & Price Drop recently, all the presenters are giving off a definite body language aura of desperation? Not that I stay looking for too long. Once, about 2004-8 there was actually some decent variety in what they sold, and some genuine quality items. Now it is an endless supply of low grade rubbish on the whole, none of which are bargains. I've seen items officially going for just 1p, but still that amounts to almost a tenner in the end, for something worth next to nothing anyway. Some people still clearly fall into this silly trap.

The fact that they basically don't have anything really worth having to sell is speaking volumes to me about the state of these shopping channels now. They will go out of business without any doubt, it's just a question of time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    My aunt is absolutely addicted to this channel, but she fails to comprehend that, whilst the item may have been bought for £2.99, package and postage was £7.95, so she wasn't getting such a bargain after all. Are shoppers becoming more savvy, and aware of this?

If my aunt repeatedly failed to grasp such a basic economic principle, I'd be doing everything to stop her having access to any of her money for anything until she finally understood it.

In the meantime, she'd only be able to spend her money by asking someone else to buy what she wants on her behalf, thus making sure she's getting value for money rather than being ripped off.

Many years ago, we had to take a chequebook off an elderly relative who clearly didn't understand (and was never going to understand) that if he had £100 in the account with no more money due in for a while, he couldn't write several £80 cheques at once without being hit with bouncing-cheque charges even though he argued he had more money in his account that any of the individual cheques he was writing.

Sometimes people need to be protected from their own ignorance and stupidity and your aunt and my elderly relative are perfect examples.

Most of these shopping channels have preyed on such economic ignorance among their viewers for many years and I don't have a shred of sympathy for any presenters or other staff fearing they might be about to lose their jobs.

Instead, they ought to be grateful they've been able to earn anything from their shameless peddling of the tatty stuff they're selling - most of them wouldn't survive beyond a week or two in the rest of the retail world.
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If he's an entertainer then someone needs to sue under the Trade Descriptions Act ;-)
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    85 monks wrote: »
    If my aunt repeatedly failed to grasp such a basic economic principle, I'd be doing everything to stop her having access to any of her money for anything until she finally understood it.

In the meantime, she'd only be able to spend her money by asking someone else to buy what she wants on her behalf, thus making sure she's getting value for money rather than being ripped off.

Many years ago, we had to take a chequebook off an elderly relative who clearly didn't understand (and was never going to understand) that if he had £100 in the account with no more money due in for a while, he couldn't write several £80 cheques at once without being hit with bouncing-cheque charges even though he argued he had more money in his account that any of the individual cheques he was writing.

Sometimes people need to be protected from their own ignorance and stupidity and your aunt and my elderly relative are perfect examples.

Most of these shopping channels have preyed on such economic ignorance among their viewers for many years and I don't have a shred of sympathy for any presenters or other staff fearing they might be about to lose their jobs.

Instead, they ought to be grateful they've been able to earn anything from their shameless peddling of the tatty stuff they're selling - most of them wouldn't survive beyond a week or two in the rest of the retail world.

Well yes, but taking (stealing) someone's cheque book or stopping them having access to their own money without your say so (unless you have power of attorney) is likely breaking a good few laws and rightly so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you took a typical days items that are shown on Bid TV or Price Drop, and placed them in a market stall setting instead, then I very much doubt that it would fly off the stall when people actually have a chance to look at and feel the quality first hand.....and that's without the extortionate P & P too!

It was half reasonable a very long time ago. In 2006 I was bought a puffa jacket that went for just £4, and with postage & call charge ended up at £12, which was a reasonable bargain, and I'm still wearing it 8 years later. Even then you had to be discerning, but now absolutely nothing comparable exists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If he's an entertainer then someone needs to sue under the Trade Descriptions Act ;-)

Why? I watched some Peter Simon videos on Youtube and I thought he was really funny :D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    If you took a typical days items that are shown on Bid TV or Price Drop, and placed them in a market stall setting instead, then I very much doubt that it would fly off the stall when people actually have a chance to look at and feel the quality first hand.....and that's without the extortionate P & P too! .
    for a brief time Ideal World had a store in a local shopping centre, the junk that was in it, god its a wonder they sold any at al.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    for a brief time Ideal World had a store in a local shopping centre, the junk that was in it, god its a wonder they sold any at al.

Didn't Price Drop TV open an actual store somewhere at one time about 7 or 8 years ago? No idea what happened to it, but I'm willing to bet it didn't last too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What kind of junk was it? Was it the sort of shop that made Poundland look like Harrods of Knightsbridge? :p
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, but thought best not to mention he was once Phil Schofield's original "gopher". :D

Is it me, or when I've taken a glance at Bid & Price Drop recently, all the presenters are giving off a definite body language aura of desperation? Not that I stay looking for too long. Once, about 2004-8 there was actually some decent variety in what they sold, and some genuine quality items. Now it is an endless supply of low grade rubbish on the whole, none of which are bargains. I've seen items officially going for just 1p, but still that amounts to almost a tenner in the end, for something worth next to nothing anyway. Some people still clearly fall into this silly trap.

The fact that they basically don't have anything really worth having to sell is speaking volumes to me about the state of these shopping channels now. They will go out of business without any doubt, it's just a question of time.

RT you're posting in the wrong thread! Get back to the TOTP 1979 - no, the TOTP 1986 thread and discuss Depeche Mode's single! :D ;-)
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What kind of junk was it? Was it the sort of shop that made Poundland look like Harrods of Knightsbridge? :p
    Poundland sells stuff people want, this place was just selling the usual tat, nothing anyone would want.
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you took a typical days items that are shown on Bid TV or Price Drop, and placed them in a market stall setting instead, then I very much doubt that it would fly off the stall when people actually have a chance to look at and feel the quality first hand.....and that's without the extortionate P & P too!

It was half reasonable a very long time ago. In 2006 I was bought a puffa jacket that went for just £4, and with postage & call charge ended up at £12, which was a reasonable bargain, and I'm still wearing it 8 years later. Even then you had to be discerning, but now absolutely nothing comparable exists.
    Didn't Price Drop TV open an actual store somewhere at one time about 7 or 8 years ago? No idea what happened to it, but I'm willing to bet it didn't last too long.

There was one in the Galleria in Hatfield. It lasted at least a couple of years, its a Next home outlet store now.

They sold the same tat as on the TV, but each item had a price list attached with what the product would cost each day. The price dropped each day it didn't sell, although often products would get to the lowest price and just stay in the shop for weeks on end.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    85 monks wrote: »

We'll get to know the fate of these two channels after the creditors' meeting on 18 March in London. If they do go under, I suppose we'll then get an obscure flop of a musical by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd-Webber about The Fall of Bid & Price Drop.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just type in 'bid tv peter simon' on Youtube. There's some comedy gold (not the channel!) there :D

Ive had a power **** :eek:

I remember watching that live, i was absolutely pi$$ing. :D
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They use My Hermes, trouble for them too??Just read the reviews about them online on Trust pilot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched Bid -Up.tv- for years, but this thread almost makes me want to flick it on to see what the fuss is about. Loving the sound of these "pound land items" being hawked!

Emphasis on the 'almost' ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I remember price drop being must see TV about 7 years ago! But I agree, the days of these channels are numbered. While they still cater to people who don't have the internet, that market can't keep them in business
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This in the Mail on Sunday today!

Mail On Sunday
    Shopping channel operator Sit Up TV will ask its creditors next week to agree to a deal to write off its debts and allow it to continue broadcasting. The operator of channels Bid TV and Price Drop TV, once promoted by former Bargain Hunt star David Dickinson, was acquired in December after losses racked up amid growing competition from the internet. Paul and Val Wright, who launched rival channel Ideal Shopping, have pledged to invest £6million into the business if the restructuring can be completed to settle debts of around £68million.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I sometimes put Peter Simon on when he starts off with his poor Larry Grayson tribute.
    I have never seen the logic in using a service that has £7.99 postage no matter what is ordered. Unless its something very expensive, which doesn't happen very often on these channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Poundland sells stuff people want, this place was just selling the usual tat, nothing anyone would want.

I've been in Poundland before. Yes they sell a lot of tat but they are good for things like toiletries as they're cheaper than the supermarkets. What do you mean by the usual tat nobody would want?