Paxo fronting C4 election coverage!

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29345406

Good on C4. Always thought it odd that the Beeb sidelined him to a supporting role at election time.

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29345406

Good on C4. Always thought it odd that the Beeb sidelined him to a supporting role at election time.

He's still doing University Challenge for BBC2. If it's like the programme C4 did in 2010 it will be an ''alternative'' election night which (C4 claimed) beat the ITV results programme in the ratings.
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    He's still doing University Challenge for BBC2. If it's like the programme C4 did in 2010 it will be an ''alternative'' election night

I very much doubt they would get Paxman to front a programme like that.

I was really disappointed that Channel 4 ran the programme they did at the last election.What I respect about Channel 4's news output is that they attempt to take a more independent angle on covering current affairs. In 2010 they had a fantastic chance to replicate their news coverage with a serious election programme and instead they bottled it by going for cheap satire, hosted by Brooker, Mitchell etc.

It seems to me that Channel 4 spends far too much time, effort and money in trying to be "weird" or "shocking" in their programme commissioning. I'm sure the senior team congratulate themselves on being "provocative" but I personally don't find it at all impressive.

I hope they use Paxman properly as the anchor of a high quality election night coverage which is less dumbed down than Sky News / BBC efforts.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samburrows wrote: »
    I very much doubt they would get Paxman to front a programme like that.

I was really disappointed that Channel 4 ran the programme they did at the last election.What I respect about Channel 4's news output is that they attempt to take a more independent angle on covering current affairs. In 2010 they had a fantastic chance to replicate their news coverage with a serious election programme and instead they bottled it by going for cheap satire, hosted by Brooker, Mitchell etc.

It seems to me that Channel 4 spends far too much time, effort and money in trying to be "weird" or "shocking" in their programme commissioning. I'm sure the senior team congratulate themselves on being "provocative" but I personally don't find it at all impressive.

I hope they use Paxman properly as the anchor of a high quality election night coverage which is less dumbed down than Sky News / BBC efforts.

Channel 4's entire remit is to provide 'alternative' programming - i.e. different from the BBC and ITV. It's on this basis that it receives licence fee funding. I agree that it's left leaning current affairs coverage is a good balance to Sky and ITN but I don't see how this applies to election coverage which by definition is just the reporting of the facts.

Saying the above, I think there is scope for Channel 4 to provide a fair more analytical coverage than the dumbed-down version we see on both the BBC and ITV. The US elections gave a lot of good examples of how to report and analyse figures so that you are actually informing the viewer on voting behavior rather than hearing the same tired cliches from talking heads.

"This is a great indication of our ability to win up and down the country, it gives us hope that this is going a good night for us.

"This is disappointing but our polling indicated we may struggle in this seat. We're still confident of having a good night.

"If we blindly put this result into a basic swingometer we can see what would happen if every constituency voted in the same way - which they don't"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying the above, I think there is scope for Channel 4 to provide a fair more analytical coverage than the dumbed-down version we see on both the BBC and ITV. The US elections gave a lot of good examples of how to report and analyse figures so that you are actually informing the viewer on voting behavior rather than hearing the same tired cliches from talking heads.

Thank you, you have made the point better than I was able to.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that the Beeb couldn't line up Paxo to replace Dimbers (who's retiring after 2015). But disappointingly (for me) they've gone for Hugh Edwards.

I can't really imagine him in that role. (I blame Alistair McGowan).

I love election nights (if not the results). I've already booked the Friday off!
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    I'm loving C4 news at the moment, they have some terrific journalists and have always wanted them to cover Election Night properly.

I feel like i am in a minority of one sometimes but i cannot abide Brooker sneering at everything. To have an element of satire in an election show is a great thing to do (I remember Spitting Immage puppets in 87) but i really didn't like the 2010 C4 offering.

Mind you, i'm sure everyone will steer clear of interviewing boozed up celebs on a party boat on the Thames!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4's entire remit is to provide 'alternative' programming - i.e. different from the BBC and ITV. It's on this basis that it receives licence fee funding. I agree that it's left leaning current affairs coverage is a good balance to Sky and ITN but I don't see how this applies to election coverage which by definition is just the reporting of the facts.

"This is a great indication of our ability to win up and down the country, it gives us hope that this is going a good night for us.

"This is disappointing but our polling indicated we may struggle in this seat. We're still confident of having a good night.

"If we blindly put this result into a basic swingometer we can see what would happen if every constituency voted in the same way - which they don't"

Channel 4 doesn't receive any funding from the TV licence.

http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/faq/name/does-channel-4-get-any-of-the-licence-fee/id/400286880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 doesn't receive any funding from the TV licence.

It is a PSB though.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got really interested for a second as thought Paxo Stuffing was involved. Then lost all interest abruptly.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apologies - I always thought it did. It must just be part of it's broadcasting licence then.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a PSB though.

Yup.
    Apologies - I always thought it did. It must just be part of it's broadcasting licence then.

Yes. The Thatcher Government created Channel 4 to provide alternative programming to cater for minority interests. By this, they meant opera, ballet etc.

Those that ran Channel 4 had a different idea about what their remit meant. These included programmes for the gay, black communities etc.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... The Thatcher Government created Channel 4 to provide alternative programming to cater for minority interests. By this, they meant opera, ballet etc..

It really was created as "the alternative voice"; much more liberal, risk taking and off-message than it s now.

To some it is indeed strange that the Tories created it in that form, but in many ways not so strange.

There were three factors, two of which were directly counter-posed.

(1) :blush: Was the inertia that had gathered around the Annan report and the putative creation of an "Open Broadcasting Authority" to act as a publisher/broadcaster, and to function much like the Arts Council.

Clearly any Tory would loathe this idea, but there was one aspect that was inciting. The creation of a funded publisher/broadcaster would facilitate the growth of the independent broadcast sector, a sort of fusion between the ethos of a light film industry and those talented individuals pissed-off with working at the BBC or ITV.

This linked in with (2) :o - the Tories (especially Ma T) really had it in for the broadcast establishment, especially ITV. (Yes, I'll repeat especially ITV!) The problem was the Unions, and the the credence given to them by the management of the then fat and arrogant cash-cow, rich and bloated series of regional monopolies that were ITV. By not conceding an ITV-2, and instead setting-up a competing force that had to / would mean the creation of lots of nimble, fleet and entrepreneurial small businesses would show-up ITV production units for the lollards that they were. This was deffo seen as a big big win. Big win indeed.

The counter-posing problem was that the Tories certainly weren't going to fund it out of the public sector, not even by advancing seeding capital. The only solution was to tap into ITV's licence to burn loadsamoney - sorry I mean their cash-flow. This met up with the third factor (3) :kitty: The City and the Stock market.

Naturally these kitties quite liked ITV company stock, nice little earner it was. Therefore, the Tories weren't going to get away with setting up a competing ITV of rival companies (even though their own original television Act said that they must). That would have competed away commercial television profit, and look too much like capitalism (which Thatcher certainly wasn't, although Keith Joseph probably was)

The solution was a lovely British hybrid of a compromise. Something that (apparently) had the ethos of Annan's OBA, something that didn't abstract ITV's earnings and something that led to the re-organisation of the production side of the telly business into what we see today.

They even got to put a real establishment heavyweight in charge of it. And, for accounting purposes and pure style place it in the IBA VAT group, giving that little quango a nice cash-flow boost!
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very much doubt they would get Paxman to front a [ ''alternative'' election night ] programme like that.
    Don't forget that Paxman had a show at the Edinburgh fringe this year. So it's not a completely impossible idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely an ''alternative'' election night programme would be not to feature the election at all ?
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I feel like i am in a minority of one sometimes but i cannot abide Brooker sneering at everything.

Number two here!

Although I quite liked the Alternative Election Night, and 10 O'Clock Live.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely an ''alternative'' election night programme would be not to feature the election at all ?
    That would be what hundreds of other channels do and be an alternative to the election night.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pity that Channel 4 are allowing a confirmed Conservative party supporter to report on the election. The right wingers extend their tentacles to control even more of the media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    It's a pity that Channel 4 are allowing a confirmed Conservative party supporter to report on the election. The right wingers extend their tentacles to control even more of the media.

What evidence do you have ?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    I guess Russell Brand will provide an analysis of the vote and Eddie Izzard will report the Scottish vote and reaction?

Instead of a swingometer, Jamie Oliver will provide a pie chart.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What evidence do you have ?

Paxman wrote an article in my newspaper where he admitted that he was and always has been a Conservative party supporter. He added of course (as Conservatives always do) something basically claiming to be one of the better ones, they usually claim to be 'compassionate', or 'one nation'. Also even this thread assumes that he is to be on Channel 4's TV election coverage. That accords with whet I have heard on TV and re3ad in the papers.

So my evidence is that he wrote it himself, claiming to be a Conservative and that the appearance has been trumpeted abroad..

What is your evidence denying it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot expect journalists not to have a personal viewpoint on politics. We all have that right - do you expect them not to vote too?

Regardless of whether they are blue, red, yellow or purple (!) all you would ask is that they are professional in their work. Did Paxman ever show any bias or loyalty towards Conservative interviewees? I don't think so and Michael Howard would certainly say that he did not.

I would suggest that for journalists in this country who feel strongly about politics in one direction or the other there is more risk to us as viewers that they over compensate in their interviews.

There are far more noticeably biased journalists than Paxo - most of them working for Sky News - however that is more about editorial decision making than it is about personal beliefs for the most part.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of whether they are blue, red, yellow or purple (!) all you would ask is that they are professional in their work. Did Paxman ever show any bias or loyalty towards Conservative interviewees? I don't think so and Michael Howard would certainly say that he did not.
    Absolutely right.

The same applies to civil servants. They are sensible enough to separate their personal views from their professional duties and enact policies that they might not agree with. Journalists are in the same position: it would be extremely unprofessional for them to let their own biases leak into their work and (in the UK, at least) it is a very rare occurrence.

The whole issue of their personal politics is irrelevant.