The Digital Spy Apprentice Series 4: Task Announcement Thread

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I'd just like to point out that it is quite difficult to take on feedback from the last task if we haven't been given it. If we don't get it soon, it will be too late.
    Forum Member
    Has the feedback been discontinued? Shame, I enjoyed getting that. :(
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the feedback been discontinued? Shame, I enjoyed getting that. :(

It's not really completely up to me as I can't force the advisor's to post it, I know they both have a lot on at the moment so are struggling to find time to fit it in - the point of it is to be able to improve on the next task from what you've been told so it might seem pointless getting it from last task now but I still think it's nice for candidates to have and helps the viewers to be able to get a better idea of what's going on in task, so hopefully we're able to get that up sometime as well as feedback for this task.

Both pitches have now been posted and viewers are invited to ask any questions they may have in the team threads.

A reminder that the boardroom will begin at 8:30 tonight - I'd like to get all evaluations from the candidates in before that and also make sure you're around for that, if you're not then let me know in advance and ideally send me some sort of defence to use if you find yourself in trouble.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll give candidates a few more minutes to answer some of the viewer questions still left unanswered - although try and answer as quickly as possible as the BR is supposed to be starting now and I will be starting it in the next few minutes!
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Inspired have the better artist, but I preferred Aptitude's promotional campaign. Not sure which way it's going to go if I'm honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Inspired :D I felt you'd really done your homework on this task - as I said in my market research feedback, it was quite amusing that you picked Hurts considering that a lot of people want them as our entry and they've stated that they'd want to do it.

As for Aptitude, whilst I did slightly prefer their promotional campaign to yours (aside from the UK part, but I guess I can see some merit in that - we have a good diaspora here so if some of our population had family in other countries, it could encourage them to vote for Natalia. If they had explained it like that, it may have been an even closer decision.), I was unsure on the choice of artist. Most of the time, you need someone who is relatively well known in your country, if not necessarily elsewhere - other countries get this through their national finals, but I think we're one of if not the only country that doesn't have one. Natalia Kills seemed a slightly odd choice to me because of this - I've heard of her, but don't think I've heard any of her music; whereas with Hurts, I have heard 'Wonderful Life' and their duet with Kylie.

And after that long ramble - my firing prediction. For me, Naruto is pretty much safe, and it's out of Shadi and Arran. IIRC, Shadi already has a bit of a mark against his name after the film task, whereas Arran, I don't really remember him being in bother before. It's going to be interesting, and the defences will be key. At the moment, I'd probably say that Arran would go, if I had to choose.
    Forum Member
    Well done Inspired :D I felt you'd really done your homework on this task - as I said in my market research feedback, it was quite amusing that you picked Hurts considering that a lot of people want them as our entry and they've stated that they'd want to do it.

As for Aptitude, whilst I did slightly prefer their promotional campaign to yours (aside from the UK part, but I guess I can see some merit in that - we have a good diaspora here so if some of our population had family in other countries, it could encourage them to vote for Natalia. If they had explained it like that, it may have been an even closer decision.), I was unsure on the choice of artist. Most of the time, you need someone who is relatively well known in your country, if not necessarily elsewhere - other countries get this through their national finals, but I think we're one of if not the only country that doesn't have one. Natalia Kills seemed a slightly odd choice to me because of this - I've heard of her, but don't think I've heard any of her music; whereas with Hurts, I have heard 'Wonderful Life' and their duet with Kylie.

And after that long ramble - my firing prediction. For me, Naruto is pretty much safe, and it's out of Shadi and Arran. IIRC, Shadi already has a bit of a mark against his name after the film task, whereas Arran, I don't really remember him being in bother before. It's going to be interesting, and the defences will be key. At the moment, I'd probably say that Arran would go, if I had to choose.

In fairness, that is the only task where Shadi's performance has been criticised. He has been very strong on every other task, including a very strong PM win last week.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I did not realize Arran had come up with the promotion scheme which I also thought was good. If so that is good for him and showed a lot of initiative and creativity. Shadi and Naruto have been really strong from the tasks I've participated with them in as well so I really cannot call it at this point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After that summing-up, I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of another no-fire. I might just be wrong and Naruto may go......
    Forum Member
    Right decision, I think. I like Arran and will miss him, but he's not strong enough compared to the rest of us unfortunately.

Bad luck, mate! :)

On the other hand, final five! :D:D:D Do we get a 'final five' show with interviews with our families?
    Forum Member
    Arran I think you have done a fantastic job so far and you have shown so much enthusiasm and passion for this process. Those ideas for promotion were really great. So commiserations you've done a great job to this point.

And well done to Shadi and Naruto for surviving! You've both done exceptionally so far especially when I've worked with you so great job!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Commiserations to Arran, but congratulations to the other candidates for making the final 5!

For the next task, I know I sent round a PM saying it would be Thursday-Saturday but having talked to a couple of candidate it appears that Friday-Sunday would suit them better. If anyone has any objections to this please let me know as this will be the last task before interviews so it's important that you're able to contribute and important that you're able to be there for the boardroom.
  • NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to see you go Arran. You did incredibly well to get to this position.

Glad that I have stayed but I don't entirely agree with the 'lack of passion' phrase. Yes, i may not have been involved in one of the discussions between the rest of my team in the boardroom, but I stayed out of it as it didn't include me or it may be due to the fact that i don't get heated in the boardroom but that is because on my side as a person, I tend to keep my emotions in check when need be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least I got the firing right initially :) bad luck Arran, I think it would have been a close call if I'm honest. (and you reached my finishing position of last year :p)

Well done to the final 5 though :D George is now a veteran of this bit having done it for 2 series in a row :p .

If I might be allowed to give you all one bit of advice each to take you forward:

Shadi - I do understand what Niall is saying about you maybe being a bit confrontational occasionally, and perhaps you're a bit stubborn sometimes? Stubbornness can be a good trait to have, but make sure you save it for the right moments. You've been perceived by some as having a bit of an attitude problem apparently, so I'd suggest the old adage of 'keep calm and carry on': don't let arguments with teammates fester and spoil tasks as a result. Make it clear what you think, but then let it lie and only drag it up again if you need to in the BR. You're strong, I can see that, so do whatever it takes to make yourself an even stronger candidate.

Naruto - You've surprised me, from going out in week 1 last year to now being in the final 5, that's a phenomenal achievement. I suppose what you need is your 'breakthrough' moment - as it stands, you're certainly a great candidate, but maybe you haven't particularly shone so far. If the candidates can select PMs for the next task, I'd recommend you think about going for it. It might sound a bit cheesy, but give yourself your moment in the sunshine (ie allow yourself to get some credit).

Roxie - It might not have seemed like it in the first few tasks, but you have really impressed me in the last few weeks. The only thing that I can really say for you is that maybe you get talked out of good ideas by your team (as seen on the app task). So have confidence in your convictions and instincts, especially if you're PM. I noticed that on the film task, you were the only one on your team to have an issue with the concept, but you tried to make it work as best you can - that's admirable and it's something I like to see in a candidate.

George - You've had a few rough moments this series, most notably as PM in task 1, and on the film task. I do think that you're a bit similar to Shadi in that you seem to be stubborn on some aspects of tasks and it could result in you not seeing the bigger picture, something which I felt happened on the film task. There's no denying that you have a lot of talent in being able to get to this position 2 series in a row, but maybe you just need to step back sometimes, and think 'is this nailing my section of the brief?'

Iain - Arriving as a latecomer, you've done really well to get this far. Similar to Naruto really, in that you haven't had an outstanding task yet, despite being really consistent. Take a look at Roxie in the art task for instance - she wasn't PM, but she got a hell of a lot of credit because of her pitch - she knew and was passionate in what she was talking about, something which came across to both the buyer and me. I'd also say maybe think about being PM again soon - I wish I had PMed more last time, as I would rather go down by my own failings than by someone else's, if you get what I mean by that.

And some last words of wisdom from the Old Timer (ie me) - whilst everyone is in this for themselves ultimately, week by week it's about getting a team victory: sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself for the greater good of the team. Passion is awesome, but it should be channelled into your work and not necessarily into your relationships with your teammates. Finally, put your absolute all into everything, or die trying. Being fired isn't great, but if/when it happens, surely you'd want to bow out knowing that you gave it your best shot, and you couldn't have done anything more.

^ Apologies for this long post, and if I'm not allowed to say anything :p (sorry Niall). I know that your advisors give you feedback, and that I wouldn't have seen everything that has gone on, but they have, and I take my views from what I see in the task threads (ie your content for each task and how you go about answering questions), as well as the BRs. You've all had good tasks, you've all had bad tasks. Take what I've said as an extra bit of feedback from a viewer's pov - you're all strong candidates but there's always some improvements to be made so I've tried to give you all at least one thing to think about going into the last few tasks.

And if the advisors aren't able to post feedback for a while, then hopefully you can make do with this :p
    Forum Member
    Aw that's incredible of you Amy! Thanks for doing this feedback. It's all really useful especially from a viewer's perspective and I will definitely take your comments on board! :D Didn't realize you finished 6th as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah thanks Amy, but I did think that I stood out a lot in task 4 :blush: I will take on board what your saying though :)
    Forum Member
    Amy! :D I am so chuffed that you took the time to do that, thank you so much! Thanks for saying I have a lot of talent :p I try... I'm so determined to get past the final five this time though! Thanks for the comments.
  • NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Amy :) It really means a lot that you would do that to raisr everyone'd spirits and give them some useful advice :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your words Amy, appreciate the feedback
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww thanks guys *blushes* - I know we had issues with feedback last year, so I thought I'd try and give you something in case the advisors aren't able to.
    Forum Member
    Aww thanks guys *blushes* - I know we had issues with feedback last year, so I thought I'd try and give you something in case the advisors aren't able to.

Apparently I get to be an advisor next year if Shadi or Roxie win... If I was doing it, everyone would get very long George-style paragraphs every week ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently I get to be an advisor next year if Shadi or Roxie win... If I was doing it, everyone would get very long George-style paragraphs every week ;-)

Haha oh dear, every week as punishment they get an essay on their failings :p Maybe I need to teach you how to keep it short and sweet :) Dissertations should be saved for university :D
    Forum Member
    Haha oh dear, every week as punishment they get an essay on their failings :p Maybe I need to teach you how to keep it short and sweet :) Dissertations should be saved for university :D

Ah, I don't actually have to write a dissertation for my course, as it's Creative Performance and mostly practical... ;-)

They'll only get an essay on their failings if they lose... if they win, it will be an essay on what made them awesome, which is always more pleasant to read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I don't actually have to write a dissertation for my course, as it's Creative Performance and mostly practical... ;-)

They'll only get an essay on their failings if they lose... if they win, it will be an essay on what made them awesome, which is always more pleasant to read.

Hehe well as practice for that, you could always write an essay on why I am so brilliant :p

Anyway, to get back on topic - any predictions on the theme of the next task? We've had apps, art, Eurovision, film, and I can't remember the first one lol. I don't think I've seen a food/drink task yet this series so surely that's to come? :D
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least I don't have to be an advisor then. :D