Options

Things that should happen on forums

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Threads should be locked after 6 pages of discussion. Nothing more to add after 6 pages worth.

Comments

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we should impose a thread limit but I do find it depressing when I see an interesting-looking thread and find it's already run to 15 pages.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I don't think we should impose a thread limit but I do find it depressing when I see an interesting-looking thread and find it's already run to 15 pages.

i agree, i usually don't bother with those threads because unless you read the whole thread, you'll probably just repeat what others have said. If i do comment, i tend to just read the opening post.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Threads should be locked after 6 pages of discussion. Nothing more to add after 6 pages worth.

Not really a good idea, because that would start denting discussion. Much better to let threads die off naturally.....or close them when things start getting too heated.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish some people were more flexible with 'the rule' they impose in some sections of the forums.

Places like this are supposed to be about communicating with people, in an informal way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Not really a good idea, because that would start denting discussion. Much better to let threads die off naturally.....or close them when things start getting too heated.
    There's a thread at the top of the forum on 54 pages and that's in a couple of days.
    What on earth is being added to that discussion? It's no doubt going round in circles like most threads do after the magical 6 page limit
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone should just agree with me, but in a way that is innovative and contributes something further to the discussion. Or something.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some long threads are fun to read. Such as the creepy stories thread, the unsolved mysteries that baffle thread, the trivial but irritating things thread, and quite a few threads in the film forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a thread at the top of the forum on 54 pages and that's in a couple of days.
    What on earth is being added to that discussion? It's no doubt going round in circles like most threads do after the magical 6 page limit
    The mods agree. It's been locked.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That thread's been closed now. The more posts that are made, the more there's to read for lurkers. The more busier a forum is, the more lurkers might want to join.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People should be limited to 70 posts a week. ;-)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    People should be limited to 70 posts a week. ;-)
    :o Those of us who post on the Big Brother forum would be pulling our hair out during the series :o:p
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mods agree. It's been locked.

But not because of "going round in circles" or too long. The mods, rightly, closed if after a fair warning that it was going into areas not allowed by DS rules.
    You can't choose an arbitrary thread length of 6 or even 60 pages - if it's of interest people will debate and it'll stay up the top of the forum - which is fair enough - or sink down the charts and disappear.
    Would love to see this one go past your six page limit.:D
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see threads get autolocked after so many months. It's annoying to see a zombie thread emerge because someone just had to respond to a thread that had been dead for 6 years.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the benefits of some of these suggestions :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be as it is. We must like it or we wouldn't be here innit.
    Also Op my favourite thread is the creepy one and that's at least several hundred pages. So there.
  • Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    You should be able to change your username.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to change your username.

You can. You just have to ask the mods nicely.
  • Options
    steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    That thread's been closed now. The more posts that are made, the more there's to read for lurkers. The more busier a forum is, the more lurkers might want to join.

I don't know which thread you're referring to but are you saying threads should be closed in case a "lurker" may want to join in? I am a self-confessed lurker who often joins in late, is my opinion only valid in the first few pages? That seems a bit cliquey to me, surely we all should have a chance to put in our two pennorth or is it just a case of get in early or you don't have the right to an opinion?
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of this being in the Big Brother forum (a thread with two people saying to each other Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, the weather is good, bad, indifferent etc, day after day after day)?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75091518#post75091518
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You haven't been able to for some time.

It breaks the db apparently.
    I don't know which thread you're referring to but are you saying threads should be closed in case a "lurker" may want to join in? I am a self-confessed lurker who often joins in late, is my opinion only valid in the first few pages? That seems a bit cliquey to me, surely we all should have a chance to put in our two pennorth or is it just a case of get in early or you don't have the right to an opinion?

I don't think anybody likes it when threads are revived months and years after they were started.

The longer threads go on, and the more pages they run to increases the likelihood of pointless cliquey discussions developing that fundamentally go nowhere as new posters become less and less likely to click on the thread.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Virtual cage fights.
    Random bannings.
    Mod mud wrestling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    What is the point of this being in the Big Brother forum (a thread with two people saying to each other Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, the weather is good, bad, indifferent etc, day after day after day)?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75091518#post75091518

Aww. It looks a wee bit untenanted at the moment. Still, the BB forum is inevitably a bit quiet between series, and they are doing no harm to anyone.

The problem with very long threads - not the anecdote ones, but the discussion ones - is that they become too long for any newcomers to be able to contemplate reading them. I do sympathise - no one can be expected to read back through 50 pages before they post their great thoughts - but it means that you might be having a good, thoughtful, stimulating discussion involving lots of reading and considering points, and people keep on and on posting stuff that has been done and dealt with 30 pages back. I always think that if you are going to join in a very long discussion thread, you should read back at least through the last 2-3 pages to see where the discussion has got to. It just gets really annoying when something has finally been conclusively disproved, with lots of painstaking work by those doing so, and you get bombarded by people who have seen nothing of that and just jump from the title to page 45.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can't. It's been explained numerous times by DS.
  • Options
    steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    You haven't been able to for some time.

It breaks the db apparently.

I don't think anybody likes it when threads are revived months and years after they were started.

The longer threads go on, and the more pages they run to increases the likelihood of pointless cliquey discussions developing that fundamentally go nowhere as new posters become less and less likely to click on the thread.

I'm not talking about old threads here but for instance, the "Old things at School that you remember" is fairly new and is up to 20 pages. These people, includuding me, are enjoying it. Should we be shut down? I think rather than page length, maybe date length is more appropriate, I looked at a thread about disappearing high st brands & it dated back to 2006 & ran to 65 pages - maybe this is what you mean?
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way should the mods do this, the forum is about discussion, and it will drive people away,