Can't Condemn ISIS, That's Islamaphobic

Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The NUS has rejected a motion to condemn ISIS because it's Islamaphobic

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/15/the-nus-votes-to-reject-c_n_5987930.html?1413370758

Comments

• Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet have no problem with voting to condem UKIP or voting to boycott the entire country of Israel.

A lucrative career at Rotherham council awaits many of them.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NUS wrote:
    At our most recent NEC meeting, a motion on this issue was presented and voted on by all members. Some committee members felt that the wording of the motion being presented would unfairly demonise all Muslims rather than solely the group of people it set out to rightfully condemn.

Bit different
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Bit different

shame really 'cos everyone likes a good rant at students.......get a job, get your hair cut, have a wash, stop supporting religious fanaticism, that kind of thing.....
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite sure how the NUS thought the following motion was supposed to demonise all Muslims
    NEC Believes:
    1. The ongoing humanitarian crisis and sectarian polarisation in Iraq - which has resulted in thousands of Yazidi
    Kurds being massacred.
    NEC Further Believes:
    1. That the people of Iraq have suffered for years under the sectarian and brutally repressive dictatorship of
    Saddam Hussein, the US/UK invasion and occupation, the current sectarian regime linked to both
    the US and Iran, and now the barbaric repression of the “Islamic State” organisation.
    2. That rape and other forms of sexual violence are being used as weapons against women in IS-occupied
    areas, while minorities are being ethnically cleansed.
    NEC Resolves:
    1. To work with the International Students' Campaign to support Iraqi, Syrian and other international students
    in the UK affected by this situation.
    2. To campaign in solidarity with the Iraqi people and in particular support the hard-pressed student, workers'
    and women's organisations against all the competing nationalist and religious-right forces.
    3. To support Iraqis trying to bridge the Sunni-Shia divide to fight for equality and democracy, including
    defence of the rights of the Christian and Yazidi-Kurd minorities.
    4. To condemn the IS and support the Kurdish forces fighting against
    it, while expressing no confidence or trust in the US military intervention.
    5. Encourage students to boycott anyone found to be funding the IS or supplying them with goods, training,
    travel or soldiers.
    6. To make contact with Iraqi and Kurdish organisations, in Iraq and in the UK, in order to build solidarity and
    to support refugees.
    7. To issue a statement on the above basis.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    This has already been mentioned in another thread and I posted the full resolution, how anyone can claim this demoises Muslims I don't know

NEC Believes:
    1. The ongoing humanitarian crisis and sectarian polarisation in Iraq - which has resulted in thousands of Yazidi
    Kurds being massacred.
    NEC Further Believes:
    1. That the people of Iraq have suffered for years under the sectarian and brutally repressive dictatorship of
    Saddam Hussein, the US/UK invasion and occupation, the current sectarian regime linked to both
    the US and Iran, and now the barbaric repression of the “Islamic State” organisation.
    2. That rape and other forms of sexual violence are being used as weapons against women in IS-occupied
    areas, while minorities are being ethnically cleansed.
    NEC Resolves:
    1. To work with the International Students' Campaign to support Iraqi, Syrian and other international students
    in the UK affected by this situation.
    2. To campaign in solidarity with the Iraqi people and in particular support the hard-pressed student, workers'
    and women's organisations against all the competing nationalist and religious-right forces.
    3. To support Iraqis trying to bridge the Sunni-Shia divide to fight for equality and democracy, including
    defence of the rights of the Christian and Yazidi-Kurd minorities.
    4. To condemn the IS and support the Kurdish forces fighting against
    it, while expressing no confidence or trust in the US military intervention.
    5. Encourage students to boycott anyone found to be funding the IS or supplying them with goods, training,
    travel or soldiers.
    6. To make contact with Iraqi and Kurdish organisations, in Iraq and in the UK, in order to build solidarity and
    to support refugees.
    7. To issue a statement on the above basis.
    Proposed by: Daniel Cooper
    Seconded by: Shreya Paudel, James Elliot, Vonnie Sandlan, Sai Enghlert
    P
    Forum Member
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    Not quite sure how the NUS thought the following motion was supposed to demonise all Muslims

Bugger you beat me to it :D
  • Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    This has already been mentioned in another thread and I posted the full resolution, how anyone can claim this demoises Muslims I don't know

It sounds like a very pro-Islam and very sensible resolution
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    A student union voting oddly is nothing new.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have the motion for the UKIP boycott? Would like to see their justifications. Funny they're worried about offending Muslims but not UKIP voters.

Ultimately students know nothing about the real world as they haven't experienced it yet. If they think that motion is Islamophobic then it shows how loopy they really are. Worrying that such terrorist sympathises can vote in elections tbh!
    Forum Member
    It sounds like a very pro-Islam and very sensible resolution

Well it got in all the buzz words . ethnically cleansed, solidarity , minority, repressive, religious right and even managed to get in a pop about no confidence of the US , can't see how it failed
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    http://tab.co.uk/2014/10/14/nus-refuses-to-condemn-terrorists-because-its-islamophobic/

some more info and quotes here.

seems she rejected it more so because of 'evil usa/western countries oppressing black people' type ideas she probably thinks this kinda stuff all her waking life. she made it all about her instead of the bill which was perfectly fine. yes she's 'one of those people'
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    they can work in rotherham as social workers

fit in nicely there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

fit in nicely there
    They could join South Yorkshire police and in addition to giving perverts free range (including one J. Saville) they could beat up poor people and cause major disasters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had passed that motion then people would be criticising the point about the US/UK invasion.

As for Israel, we keep being told that "it's the only democracy in the Middle East" so why shouldn't the voters in Israel share some of the blame for their government's acts.
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2794183/national-union-students-refuses-condemn-isis-fears-islamophobic.html
    But Birmingham student Malia Bouattia led a team who either abstained or voted against the proposal, leading to the motion's defeat.
    She said: 'We recognise that condemnation of ISIS appears to have become a justification for war and blatant Islamaphobia.
    'This rhetoric exacerbates the issue at hand and in essence is a further attack on those we aim to defend.
    'The NUS Black Students' Campaign stands in support of Black communities across the globe and uncompromisingly against imperialism and Western interference which history shows all too often leads to the suffering of Black people.

'We stand in complete solidarity with the Kurdish people against the recent attacks by ISIS and join many others in condemnation of their brutal actions.
    'The NUS Black Students' Campaign will be working with Kurdish students and the International Students Campaign to raise this issue within the NUS.'

I know people will complain because of the source but this is supposedly her justification for leading the no vote lobby
    Forum Member

fit in nicely there

Or join the Labour Party. This is why Labour want to lower the age of voting to 16. So they have more people like the NUS lot to support their childish naive ideas.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Or join the Labour Party. This is why Labour want to lower the age of voting to 16. So they have more people like the NUS lot to vote for their childish naive policies.

Have not the Young Conservatives and the Bullingdon Club had their moments of folly, It may be surprising to some people that some young people are not very mature or a little naïve. I am not sure it is much worse than the cynicism that colours many attitudes as people get a little older and supposedly (?) wiser
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Imperialism and Western Interference'

That's a bit harsh isn't it. I thought we were asked to go in to Iraq this time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do anyone think that the NUS supports ISIS, let alone condemning ISIS is Islamaphobic
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    How silly is this Malia Bouattia? I can't believe she made it an issue of prejudice and why was she bringing up injustices against black people when this current issue has nothing to do with racism against black people.:confused:

I do keep an eye out for bigotry because most of us in life will suffer abuse from bigots for something that makes us different in some way like in my case being gay. However i honestly can't see anything wrong with condemning a vicious extreme religiously motivated movement like ISIS. I hope she realises that women in those areas where ISIS are in control will not have her freedoms and she should be putting human lives and freedoms before playing silly politics.
  • HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is problematic.
    I'm no expert and don't really under stand all the gooble-de-gook

The ruler of both Syria and the ruler of Iraq (both sort of linked to Iran) had not been that nice to Sunni people.

People who are Sunni, in the UK (and else where) have some emotional attachment to other Sunnis. I can't really get my head round this but they do - it would be like me liking the Mafia because they are good Catholics. But I digress..

So these Sunnis try to help the other Sunnis break away and form a state that covers Iraq and Syria - I guess, in our world IS would be the Unionists (like Brown or myself) and the the leader of Iraq would be the SNP (Salmond the seperatist). . The difference between them and us is that we seem to be able to sort this out by a democratic vote.

However, someone was telling me, that UN is so configured that it does not matter how you vote its internationally illegal for one state to take a part of another (this seems a bit unfair) so it would be illegal to hold such a vote. So I don't see how this can be resolved peacefully. I think, perhaps the UN might have a flaw. Anyway leave it with the UN.
    Clearly we don't understand any of it, I don't and I don't get why the unionists cut peoples heads off - surely they must know that is the most counter productive thing possible to do.
    None of it is rational. Thus my gut feeling is we don't understand it. So leave well alone until we do.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The NUS has rejected a motion to condemn ISIS because it's Islamaphobic

what would you expect from a bunch of idiots like the NUS - meanwhile in the real world Islamic countries are dropping bombs on ISIS. :D
    Forum Member
    So if Isis has nothing to do with Islam why is it Islamophobic to condemn Isis? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if Isis has nothing to do with Islam why is it Islamophobic to condemn Isis? :confused:

Ask the heads of the NUS
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member

this is her statement

http://anticuts.com/2014/10/13/a-response-to-a-report-of-nus-nec-solidarity-with-the-kurds/

its all the west and their imperialism at fault. dunno if she includes turkey as there's no mention but they're the only real imperialist country in the region and who is actively allowing the kurds to be wiped out and have ambitions to control parts of syria