Options

sporty little number

cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
Forum Member
I want to buy a little sporty car and had my heart set on one of these
But my mate said I'd look like Mr Bean if I drove a Smart car. :o

I just want something small for nipping around town in (Im rubbish at parking). :o:o

I want something fun to drive and that is cheap to insure (and will only be used at weekends)

Any recommendations.? I have a smallish budget of £10K.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't listen to your mate. Problem with the Smart Car is servicing and parts, apparently. One of my colleagues has got one...

Still, with such low fuel consumption and ease of mobility that may just help make up your mind.

Sometimes in London, I see them parked facing out from the curb in a space where no other vehicle, apart from a motorbike, could fit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    Don't listen to your mate. Problem with the Smart Car is servicing and parts, apparently. One of my colleagues has got one...
    Almost any Mercedes garage will service them.
    Sometimes in London, I see them parked facing out from the curb in a space where no other vehicle, apart from a motorbike, could fit.
    That's the ForTwo, not the Coupe (as the OP linked to)

Both the Coupe and the ForFour are good little cars.
  • Options
    dudlydudly Posts: 421
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10bellies wrote:
    Almost any Mercedes garage will service them.

Maybe I should have been clearer, 'the expense of servicing and parts'.

Mind you, I'm only passing on what my colleague said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a Honda Insight, they drop a bundle in the first year and are a bloody good 2nd hand buy.

94 mpg and congestion charge exempt
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    My company car is a Smart car and I love it dearly, it's jet black with tinted windows and it's name is Zorro :):o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you have the costume to go with

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about getting a Smart Roadster last month. That was until I actually test drove one. The stereo is awful even with the sound pack, you can't hear it over the engine. As if that wasn't bad enough the interior was so cheap and plasticy. Space is also an issue for two passengers. (although leg room is fine)

Just about everything is terrible about the interior and the gearbox is just plain c***p. If i wanted an interior that looked like it had popped out of a kinder surprise i'd go to a citroen garage, not a merc.

One thing it has going for it is the fuel consumption, but don't expect any kind of pace from its tiny turbo charged engine.

The entire Smart range is bleeding its owners dry. One of the reasons why Mercedes / Daimler Chrysler are dropping the Smart roadster and Coupe.

They don't seem to hold there prices very well either. If this is the car you want look at Autotrader. The Smart dealer's used and new car deals are non-existant.

Once the novelty wears off and the impracticality sets in most of them end up on the trader.

If your after a car with no load space get one made out of metal. I eventually treated myself to the Toyota MR2 Roadster. fuel consumptions terrible, but it gets looks, holds its price and is not as common as the MGTF, MX5. Best of all It's also alot easier to get rid of privately.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people I know like the Smart range of cars, especially the Smartfor2, or whatever they call it. Its not really my thing of choice, but if it were a 2nd car only used to go back and forth to work through a heavy - slow traffic area, maybe on a big hill, then I might consider one. Its small size and auto box, along with high mpg would be best suited to that enviroment.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    do you think I should go for a mini adventure instead?

Where is Richard Hammond when you need him?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Be careful in buying a Smart- it seems like they are going the way of Rover. They are loosing money hand over fist, so I wouldn't give it long before Daimler-Chrysler-Benz pull the plug.
  • Options
    occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,435
    Forum Member
    From persoanl experience the Hyuandai Coupe is excellent - handles like a dream, reposonsive engine and typical Korean/japanese reliability. The onlt things that let it down are the badge and the dealers who are pretty c**p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a Mini, get a second hand one as the brand new ones depreciate quite quickly. It's a nice car, though. xx
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about the new Citroen C1, or the 107, or the equvelent Toyota?

Dave