Options

Is Amazon down?

Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is Amazon down for everyone else?

I bet it's those wikileaks supporters, I mean, I morally supported them when they were hitting Paypal etc. but taking down Amazon when I am trying to do my Christmas shopping? They're taking it a bit too far now.

Edit:
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/#
Looks like it's not just me.

Comments

• Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is down due to a DDoS then they only have themselves to blame. Bunch of hypocritical f**king cowards that they are.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is and as you say it is most likely the Wikeleaks lot, very annoying.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I can get the amazon.com site but not the .uk, annoying actually because I do have a few christmas presents that I'll order from the site.
  • Options
    kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on, it's not going to be down until last deliveries before Christmas is it?

If it is because of wikileaks then "that sounds like good news to me"... will teach those cowards that supported censorship a lesson.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i ordered a DVD a few hours ago, what does it mean for that.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To take a website down that thousands of people use for shopping seems selfish to me.
    I don't agree with the Mastercard, Visa or Paypal hackings either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toastie wrote: »
    To take a website down that thousands of people use for shopping seems selfish to me.

Hackings? Nobody has been hacked at all, it's just a simple DDoS using LOIC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie wrote: »

I agree, the only ones that benefit from it in my opinion are a minority of idiots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kibblerok wrote: »
    Come on, it's not going to be down until last deliveries before Christmas is it?

If it is because of wikileaks then "that sounds like good news to me"... will teach those cowards that supported censorship a lesson.
    Censorship is wrong, but taking a website down with brute force is a great thing to do?

Amazon have every right to choose what they host, these "hacktivists" have no right to bring a website down.

As if the "hacktivists" really have a sense of protest, of all the ones arrested they're just silly teens who need to get laid.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    Is Amazon down for everyone else?

I bet it's those wikileaks supporters, I mean, I morally supported them when they were hitting Paypal etc. but taking down Amazon when I am trying to do my Christmas shopping? They're taking it a bit too far now.

Yes, the battle for freedom of speech is vital... as long as it doesn't affect my Christmas shopping! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Hackings? Nobody has been hacked at all, it's just a simple DDoS using LOIC.

Lots of people have participated in this attack by letting their PCs become bots apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon have every right to choose what they host, these "hacktivists" have no right to bring a website down.

Yet they are still selling the Wikileaks files on site, formatted for their Kindle device. So they're happy to bow down to a little pressure and stop hosting the files, but they're perfectly fine with selling them. Smacks of complete and utter hypocrisy to me.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kibblerok wrote: »

Taking down Amazon websites throughout Europe is just going to lose Wikileaks millions of supporters- why would they want to do that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I will be enraged if the site is down all next week as I am relying on it for a lot of christmas shopping. I don't get involved with anything like these protests so quite frankly could give a stuff what it's all about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could that be why 'verified by visa' is messing me about tonight? The bank says my card is fine but I can't place an order for a game I want:(
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "However, according to Adrian Chen from Gawker, the talk inside of the Anonymous IRC channel is all surrounding an attack on MasterCard and there is only confusion concerning the European Amazon servers."

http://thenextweb.com/uk/2010/12/12/amazon-co-uk-and-de-are-down-is-anonymous-to-blame/
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iHelix wrote: »
    I will be enraged if the site is down all next week as I am relying on it for a lot of christmas shopping. I don't get involved with anything like these protests so quite frankly could give a stuff what it's all about.

If only there were other companies which sold things online...

I'm not supporting this attack at all but it is funny that people are in favour of something until they find it affects them.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Taking down Amazon websites throughout Europe is just going to lose Wikileaks millions of supporters- why would they want to do that?

because they're cretins.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is a DoS attack I find it quite impressive that they were able to achieve something like this. Doesn't mean I condone it of course. Wonder if it will get the authorities more determined to stop them cos I can't see any change in policy by Amazon etc. after this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon UK is working fine for me????

Maybe it's just you?

:confused:
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's back now...almost disappointed :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Yet they are still selling the Wikileaks files on site, formatted for their Kindle device. So they're happy to bow down to a little pressure and stop hosting the files, yet they're perfectly fine with selling them. Smacks of complete and utter hypocrisy to me.
    Except the Kindle book apparently didn't contain any Wikileaks, wasn't an Amazon product and was probably vetted by somebody who had no connection with the Amazon web services division.

It's entirely logical that the commentary on Wikileaks may be inline with their terms of service but the leaks themselves may not. If commentary on the leaks was illegal, we wouldn't be discussing this now.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, the battle for freedom of speech is vital... as long as it doesn't affect my Christmas shopping! :rolleyes:
    I don't even think some people value freedom of speech, the right for Governments to be held to account for their actions and the free press. Oh no! Their Christmas shopping has to come before all that. A sign of the selfish society we live in now methinks. :(
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Looks like it's back now...almost disappointed :)

Back for me too :)