How many of you are going in to work tomorrow? Terrible road conditions.

Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
Forum Member
I'm going to work from home tomorrow as the side roads are going to be like a skating rink. There's also going to be freezing fog which makes driving in all the more treacherous. The nature of the work I do means I can do my work at home via a remote network and our managers have said if the roads are bad we can work at home for safety reasons.

I wouldn't go in on public transport as it's not going to be reliable and I'd be better off rolling out of bed, putting the computer on and getting to work straight away.

If you are working tomorrow (esp in an office as I know there are alternatives to going in to work) will you be going in? What's your company's policy for the bad weather? I suppose for most companies it's go in or have a day's pay docked or take holiday.

Comments

• HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be working tomorrow. In a building with no windows, doors, or roof tiles. Cant wait...
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I'm not working tommorow, but I am supposed to be on tuesday.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was working yesterday, and today, and will be again tomorrow - - the worse it gets, the more likely it is that I will have to do more hours, even if it means I bed down in the office for the night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yeah..im working :( Then got my mate coming with her bratty kids :D
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not rostered on until Thursday, and I doubt I'll be leaving the house until then.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be going in to work. Too much to do for me not to and I need to be on site for it, too.
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be going in or at least trying to, we've had hardly any snow here though so should be OK.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not me, I'm off until January 10th now. :D
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to drive 126 miles to my first job and then I get to work outside all day before driving 126 miles back again, should be fun.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    I've got to drive 126 miles to my first job and then I get to work outside all day before driving 126 miles back again, should be fun.

Dear me...that's going to be tough! :eek:
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes our School is open and I will be working, please note I said 'Our School' :D

I've travelled over 30 miles to be a work tomorrow, not quite as far as Weigh Man but..... :o
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be making a concerted effort to get in via public transport.

If that fails I'll work from home.
  • rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankfully im off tomorow, but i was suppose to be in today, that ended up being a complete write off, no transport and slipped and slided more times than i care to remember when i attempted walking no more than 50 yards!

I hate this weather!!
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    The fog has decended in my part of the Midlands. It's really grim out now and visibility is really poor.
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off work tomorrow so no worries there but I am in on Tues and Weds before I have a Christmas Break.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Well it's freezing here but there is no snow so it will be the same as any other day, though probably a lot quieter as people take days off to shop before christmas and also the little chavvies aren't at school now...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I've got 2 wks off college so I'll probably be sleeping most of the day.. I need to go out and get a friend's xmas presents though.. I should have done it so much earlier.. Not looking forward to it if I'm honest because of the conditions of the pavements.. Also, I've got a horrible cold which I'm no doubt going to be giving to someone else tomorrow.. Probably...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not. But that's because I was denied leave but I'm taking it off anyway. Hospital appointment.
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I'm going to be sitting on my arse on benefits. Playing WoW. But if I was working, I'd just walk if the roads were a no-go.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    I'll be making a concerted effort to get in via public transport.

If that fails I'll work from home.

Stick to the buses cosmo - the vast majority of routes are running as they should.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see any reason why I couldn't get in. It's cold here but there's no snow, and I think they've gritted the roads.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I run my own business and it involves collecting and delivering to customers throughout the day.
    I would normally do 10-1 then 430 to 730 ish but tomorrow I've adjusted things so I'll do it all in one long stretch that will hopefully be completed in daylight hours.

I will be driving about 20 miles to the next town and then I'll be on tiny country roads and small villages , but I did it a year ago and I have no doubt I'll do it again tomorrow.

I prefer to keep off main roads as you get stuck behind over cautious people doing 10mph , at least on the deserted roads you can go at your own pace and won't get blocked in a long line of cars on a major A road.

If I don't go out I don't get paid.
    One of the joys of self employment.
    But I'll finish wednesday afternoon until the 4th so that will keep me going.
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No work until New Years Eve for meeeee :D. You'd think I'd benefit from working in a school and get the whole holidays off. Nope. Just lucky I had 5 days to take for this coming week and two stat days after the bank holidays.

Just hoping I can wade through the ice rink tomorrow into town.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite annoying as I have a series of side/private streets, which experience has taught me are pretty much not negotiable in these conditions, to link up with the main roads which are absolutely fine. I can either walk the 3 or so miles in, like I did on Friday, or catch the train if I can be bothered enough to get up on time etc.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to give it a go but will probably get in late.