Options

Sir David Beckham...are you kidding?!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leewich wrote: »
    Not yet, but he will be knighted at some point and will deserve it.

David Beckham is football royalty. One of the best players of his generation, a member of one of the most successful teams of all time, and a fantastic ambassador for football and this country.

You will get fools who say he can't speak very well but that is ignorant rubbish. Also, people say he just kicks 'a bag of air around for a living'. Again, complete tosh.

Who VB?:eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems you think his involvement with the bid is matched only by his involvement in collecting winner's medals in the past 6 years.

I do :D

Although to be fair, he should be given half a winners medal, I mean, how many set pieces are there in an average match?
  • Options
    Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't happen, but these honours became silly and lost prestige a number of years ago, with all these pop singers and rockers picking up knighthoods.

It's only a matter of time before it happens to Becks. I only hope they have the decency to at least wait a few more years.

it means nothing to me now either - its like "hey they have to make a list who can they pick this year" - totally meaningless more media bull.......

Id rather see neighbours nominating their quiet neighbours who spend their whole lifes out of the limelight giving rather than receiving - those who work round the clock for the homeless and abandoned animals

nothing against DB yeah hes a good footie player and hes made enough millions that he can afford to give it away to charities but a knighthood? its a complete joke

jordan and kerry katona will be ladys by the time i hit 50 :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how the honours system works but if David gets one, would Victoria as his wife get a title as well?[/QUOTE]

She'd be Lady Beckham, wouldn't she? OMG! She'd love that. Mind you, I already call her Her Ladyship, so I'll be bang on target there.
    leosw4 wrote: »
    Who VB?:eek::D

:D:D:D
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather Beckham than Cowell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cody1 wrote: »
    it means nothing to me now either - its like "hey they have to make a list who can they pick this year" - totally meaningless more media bull.......

Id rather see neighbours nominating their quiet neighbours who spend their whole lifes out of the limelight giving rather than receiving - those who work round the clock for the homeless and abandoned animals

nothing against DB yeah hes a good footie player and hes made enough millions that he can afford to give it away to charities but a knighthood? its a complete joke

Oh Gawd, no please!

I've got to say though, that I don't agree with David getting knighted yet. He's too young. I could understand if he was 20 years older and had been in his chosen profession since he was 20, but mid 30s is way too young for any knighthood IMO or any lifetime achievement award.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Gawd, no please!

I've got to say though, that I don't agree with David getting knighted yet. He's too young. I could understand if he was 20 years older and had been in his chosen profession since he was 20, but mid 30s is way too young for any knighthood IMO or any lifetime achievement award.

To be fair, although it's not knighhood worthy alone, DB's done very well to still be in football now, and for the length of time he has been.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) If anything they should knight Ryan Giggs rather then David Beckham.

He has won the lot with Manchester United, he has kept out of the limelight is still playing football at the highest level, is injury free most of the time and has been a loyal player to Manchester United and has had a great career.

If anything it should be Sir Ryan Giggs not Sir David Beckham.
  • Options
    ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cody1 wrote: »

In title only. :D:D:D
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'd be Lady Beckham, wouldn't she? OMG! She'd love that. Mind you, I already call her Her Ladyship, so I'll be bang on target there.
    Thanks. I bet she'd love that!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) If anything they should knight Ryan Giggs rather then David Beckham.

He has won the lot with Manchester United, he has kept out of the limelight is still playing football at the highest level, is injury free most of the time and has been a loyal player to Manchester United and has had a great career.

If anything it should be Sir Ryan Giggs not Sir David Beckham.

I've always rated Ryan Giggs over Beckham. He was the 'star' of United in the mid-1990s when Beckham was a slightly gawky kid being loaned out to Preston North End.

Giggsy has remained loyal to United and shunned the limelight, and been rewarded with great success in return.

I think people are blinded by the glamour and celebrity surrounding Beckham - his football has become secondary to the hype in recent years.
  • Options
    PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be a knighthood for celebrity and nothing else. Many people do great deeds out of the kindness of their hearts and without fanfare.
  • Options
    D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before people lose sight, David Beckham was a superb footballer and was one of the best in the world from 1998-2001. He had a momnumental part to play in Manchester United winning the Treble... a feat never acheived in English football. Had to point this out because I think people sometimes forget amidst all the celebrity.

Not sure about a knighthood though. Maybe later in life. Ryan Giggs definitely has a case for one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:D

Yes, it's worth bearing in mind that giving Dave a knighthood would also result in the coronation of 'Lady Beckham!! :eek::D

She wouldn't be allowed to call herself 'Lady Victoria' though, mercifully!!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I don't get:
    Buckingham Palace is reportedly 'under pressure' to honour David Beckham with a knighthood in the New Year Honours List.

Why should they be "under pressure" for? People should only be knighted if they truly deserve to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Under pressure" from whom exactly??

If is the honour is deserved and just then there shouldn't be any need for 'pressure'.

'Sir David Beckham' will sound utterly ridiculous. Give it another 30 years!!
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    It will make Vicky unbearable- can you imagine Lady Beckham?

Some people who deserved knighthoods much more turned them down e.g. David Bowie.
  • Options
    Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really desperately hope that he is not knighted. It's a total joke. He has made a vast fortune out of doing a job he enjoys, and good for him. But he has not done it for the good of humanity, only for his own benefit. Why is that more worthy than any other worker in Britain?

We could all be charity ambassadors if we were lucky enough to have his free time and money. It's not like he's standing in the street in the freezing cold with a collection tin, or toiling in Africa with the Red Cross or anything.

But this is my view of all of these silly 'honours' for celebrities. They are lucky enough to be in a job they enjoy but they have done it purely for themselves and thus do not deserve an award.

I am not a fan of the Beckhams. They are maybe very nice in person, but they always look so smug and self-satisfied. The thought of him being a 'knight' would make the pair of them unbearable.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    At most Beckham should be awarded the MBE. Imo, he's the most overrated Footballer ever to play for England.:mad:
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    At 36 years old?!

At this rate, he'll be a Lord by the time he's 40!!

If Ellen McArthur who did nothing but sailed & intended only for her own gratification was granted the Dame title at 29-30 yrs of age then why shouldn't David Beckham be a Sir?? In fact that was still a puzzle to me on what ground excatly she deserved to be a dame.:rolleyes:

There are people granted OBEs (Gordon Ramsay!?!?!), Sirs (Prescott, Alan Sugar) who are nowhere near the achievements of Beckham yet for some obscure reasons are ashamedly bestowed such titles.:rolleyes:

For my money David Beckham deserves a knighthood .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a story that goes that initially they were going to award Ellen McArthur a lesser title but it was the palace who suggested it should be a Dame. This then opened the floodgates after that Kelly Holmes had to be given a Damehood for her achievements then Chris hoy had to be given a Knighthood for his.

As for Beckham....please it's almost as ludicrus as him getting a lifetime achievement award the other night!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I knighthood for trying to kick a ball into a net?? LOL.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I'd rather Beckham than Cowell

Preferably neither of them, it completely devalues the system.:sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Amy76 wrote: »
    I really desperately hope that he is not knighted. It's a total joke. He has made a vast fortune out of doing a job he enjoys, and good for him. But he has not done it for the good of humanity, only for his own benefit. Why is that more worthy than any other worker in Britain?

We could all be charity ambassadors if we were lucky enough to have his free time and money. It's not like he's standing in the street in the freezing cold with a collection tin, or toiling in Africa with the Red Cross or anything.

But this is my view of all of these silly 'honours' for celebrities. They are lucky enough to be in a job they enjoy but they have done it purely for themselves and thus do not deserve an award.

I am not a fan of the Beckhams. They are maybe very nice in person, but they always look so smug and self-satisfied. The thought of him being a 'knight' would make the pair of them unbearable.

Excellent post - I agree wholeheartedly!!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lannurst wrote: »
    I knighthood for trying to kick a ball into a net?? LOL.

Exactly! In my opinion, a title like this should only be given to middle aged people who've achieved extraordinary things, and, who've done a HUGE amount for people over the years. Getting a knighthood now is the equivalent to someone doing well in their exams in the celebrity world. Pfft.