Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights

Comments

• crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    indeed repetition happens alot if you catch a performance of a comedian on the comedy store or live at the apollo its funny how often those jokes end up in panel shows like mock the week. i been the amount of times i have told jack whitehall tell his dad/mugabe joke is unreal.

So true. I was really into seeing live comedy a few years ago and couldn't believe how many times the same jokes crop up even between comedians who are doing the rounds of the same venues! Then I'd be watching videos of old comedy shows and see them there too.

It also happens in US sitcoms, I can't count the number of times an almost identical scenario has cropped up in Friends, Will & Grace, Frasier et al.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So true. I was really into seeing live comedy a few years ago and couldn't believe how many times the same jokes crop up even between comedians who are doing the rounds of the same venues! Then I'd be watching videos of old comedy shows and see them there too.

It also happens in US sitcoms, I can't count the number of times an almost identical scenario has cropped up in Friends, Will & Grace, Frasier et al.

Yes i know what you mean i think the only live performer that could give you different shows each time would have been Bob Monkhouse who could and did ad lib on the days events (his shows were topical) as he went along,sometimes asking audience memebrs to mention an event and off he would go.

To some extent and i have seen Freddie Starr in the eighties and also Roy Cubby Brown and Bernard Manning and certainly some of the material they came/come out with i had heard before but to be fair by them.!
  • nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading a comment somewhere, saying they didn't think any of his Madeline McCann jokes would make it onto TV-they were proved wrong tonight!

"If we're all here, who's looking after Madeleine?"

Not a joke, if you ask me, but a very good point. Shame Kate or Gerry didn't think this when they swanned off to dinner.
    Madeleine gets every ounce of sympathy I can muster, but her "parents" don't. It's their own fault. They shouldn't have left her alone in the first place.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading a comment somewhere, saying they didn't think any of his Madeline McCann jokes would make it onto TV-they were proved wrong tonight!

The pool table line won't make it though methinks.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes i know what you mean i think the only live performer that could give you different shows each time would have been Bob Monkhouse who could and did ad lib on the days events (his shows were topical) as he went along,sometimes asking audience memebrs to mention an event and off he would go.

To some extent and i have seen Freddie Starr in the eighties and also Roy Cubby Brown and Bernard Manning and certainly some of the material they came/come out with i had heard before but to be fair by them.!
    Dara O'Briain and Ross Noble could probably do a full improv show.

I'm sure they do have a structure to their sets but it depends heavily on the audience interaction and in Noble's case whatever pops into his head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Hills current show, Mess Around, is entirely audience interaction.

I've seen it twice, he's very good at it.
  • tripitakatripitaka Posts: 5,636
    Forum Member
    The double bill was to avoid having Frankie on over xmas when more family orientated viewing is broadcast, perhaps channel four are getting cold feet?

I'd not caught it before, it's a very strange show, I get the impression that Frankie was hoping for a big reaction against it but the only person taking the bait is Jordan who also loves to grab publicity - without a backlash all there is just some very poor and extremely repetitive comedy. I couldn't really care if he jokes about rape, paedophilia, masturbation etc but largely he doesn't he just keeps mentioning them. It would be just as dull if he kept bringing other subjects up without much of punchline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tripitaka wrote: »
    The double bill was to avoid having Frankie on over xmas when more family orientated viewing is broadcast, perhaps channel four are getting cold feet?

That'd be the channel 4 that have broadcast a documentary about Derek and Clive on Christmas Day before?

It included this bit of Ricky Gervais talking about his mother catching his brother listening to D&C back in the day:
    Mother: "You can't listen to that! What if the Vicar came round?"
    Gervais' brother: "I'd tell the c*** to f*** off as it's nearly midnight."

:D
  • 15 minutes15 minutes Posts: 12,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The end of the wonder woman bit was almost identical to the Garth Ennis comic book The Pro. Which was funnier.

Thanks. Looks like a laugh. Still, the lovely Thalia would be more than enough for me.

I doubt those clips would make Youtube.

And the Cookie Monster and Tank engines in the next episode made me chuckle.

I wonder how many takes the Cookie monster scenes took?
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But seriously, last week he mentioned something about raping a baby...not funny.

Isn't that the Harvey joke from before?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ross Noble does ad-lib at every one of his gigs
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross Noble does ad-lib at every one of his gigs

Like a lot of comedians, he'll ad-lib to a degree, but he won't make it all up on the spot every night, as was suggested earlier.
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very bemused this has made the front page of the papers...over the p and the n slurs. WTF?
    There has been far, far more offensive stuff on the show than that.
    I wish this show racism the red card group would just bugger off. They've done their job, football isn't racist anymore, they've no reason to exist now. Racism will only truly be beaten when we don't have busy-bodies finding fault with every single possible incident. Even clear jokes like this.

I like the show overall. The only bit which was a bit iffy for me was the cancer joking. Its pretty funny overall though, glad to see a comedian who is in sync with the modern world and actually jokes about the kind of thing people joke about rather than having to tone it down for TV.
    Compared to that Morgana show crap its the best thing ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »
    They've done their job, football isn't racist anymore
    And now it's my turn to be bemused.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Watching the latest episode and its better than last weeks - but the Sesame Street and Mario sketches were just wrong :(
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aenaryn wrote: »
    And now it's my turn to be bemused.

Explain.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    It's quite amausing reading some of these comments about FB not being funny but those same people were waiting for Morgana to come on.

Morgana is the unfunniest thing that has ever been broadcast, I've seen new broadcasts about Haiti with more laughs than that show!

I admit, she does a good impression of Ms Cotton but that's about it.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I did like the jokes in the 2nd half about Twitter and Wikipedia :D
    And I admit I did laugh at Cookie Monster's p*ssy song :o:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyle remains so desparate to shock, he's still forgetting to be funny. He's not being very shocking, either. His material is delivered with this smug undertone of self-congratulation, as if he's crossing some kind of line - he's not.

What we have here is just a bad comedian who isn't very good at being dark. His 'skill' extends to blurting out words and lines with a one-dimensional context and without any crafted sense of irony/satire. It's just saying things for the sake of being 'edgy', and sitting back when people get upset as if the complaints in any way justify it.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the last show to be aired seemed to get fewer laughs and some people looked uneasy in response to some jokes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyle remains so desparate to shock, he's still forgetting to be funny. He's not being very shocking, either. His material is delivered with this smug undertone of self-congratulation, as if he's crossing some kind of line - he's not.

What we have here is just a bad comedian who isn't very good at being dark. His 'skill' extends to blurting out words and lines with a one-dimensional context and without any crafted sense of irony/satire. It's just saying things for the sake of being 'edgy', and sitting back when people get upset as if the complaints in any way justify it.

In your opinion
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I give up on Boyle as he's just not funny anymore and reminds me of some sad "ironic" comic who has lost the ability to make a decent joke. The person I watched this episode with was shocked at how unfunny it was so I didn't bother watching the second show , the right decision as he's spent and even dull now.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I did like the jokes in the 2nd half about Twitter and Wikipedia :D
    And I admit I did laugh at Cookie Monster's p*ssy song :o:D:D
    Shame it's 5 years out of date.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

Spot on. You may as well put someone with Tourette's on stage, they'd get just as many laughs from the audience
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    The latest show was superb, the best yet! The sketches have gradually been improving...love it Frankie!