Options

The Shawshank Redemption! A bit overrated?

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Let me start by saying that I have Scum and City of God (you menion it in another post on this thread) on DVD and prefer them both to the topic's film (and prefer Cool Hand Luke, too). However, just because a film isn't as gritty and hard-hitting as the films you mention, it doesn't necessarily take away from the film itself. I don't really think that The Shawshank Redemption is claimed to be that gritty and isn't really the point being made by the film, so comparing it to the likes of Scum and City of God is a bit misleading.

I do think this film is good, but don't think it's great, or as great as claimed. Still, gritty or not, it's a good film in its own right, even if many other films are better.

Good point, well made. I like winding people up about this film because it is so predictably wheeled out in these sort of threads. It's quite entertaining but I don't see why it's always rated so highly. I'd rather watch Midnight Express for example. :)
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think shawshank is great because it provokes an emotional response from the viewer and its those responses which make us remember how we feel about a film.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    Good point, well made. I like winding people up about this film because it is so predictably wheeled out in these sort of threads. It's quite entertaining but I don't see why it's always rated so highly. I'd rather watch Midnight Express for example. :)

I think this film aims for an emotional bullseye and if it hits the target, then you are definitely going to rate it highly. I enjoyed the film, but the emotional play was a bit too unsubtle for me. The test of the very best films is whether you are motivated to watch it again and again. Films such as Twelve Angry Men, To Kill A Mockingbird, Manhunter, Gladiator and many more have had this effect on me. Shawshank Redemption never did, but I can understand why some people were so captivated by it.
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »

So because you don't see why it's rated so highly you like to wind people up who are passionate about it?

Says more about you than it does the people who love it.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I still get annoyed about the poster at the end though - how did he stick it back on the wall from inside the tunnel :D

[/I]

It only need be stuck at the top to the wall then he could've lifted it up and crawled into the hole and the poster would've fallen back in place...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Scum" ? "Cool Hand Luke" ? Better than Shawshank?!!!! Perhaps to a 40 year old hooligan !!!
    I hope the OP has washed their mouth out with soap and water for even suggesting Shawshank is overrated! Anyone under the age of 25 doesnt have the attention span to enjoy a film nowadays anyway!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool Hand Luke is a so-so movie with a fantastic downer of an ending that makes it memorable. :p

Shawshank's quite good. ;)

There's little point comparing it to Scum though, they're completely different, like comparing chalk & cheese.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Zeus wrote: »
    I think this film aims for an emotional bullseye and if it hits the target, then you are definitely going to rate it highly. I enjoyed the film, but the emotional play was a bit too unsubtle for me. The test of the very best films is whether you are motivated to watch it again and again. Films such as Twelve Angry Men, To Kill A Mockingbird, Manhunter, Gladiator and many more have had this effect on me. Shawshank Redemption never did, but I can understand why some people were so captivated by it.

I would agree with the criteria but i thought TSR nailed it.

TBH 12 Angry Men is the greatest film ever and the remake is the 2nd greatest.

Its the most intense story yet in film making terms there is nothing.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots of classics that I find overrated but this isn't one of them and I think it deserves any praise that it gets.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I am a fan,must have watched the film a dozen times and feel the film has earned its place...but I am not going to knock anyone who says differently..there are plenty of so called "classics" out there that are on lists of must see films here and there..I have sat down to them and they havent interested me yet on the other side there are some very obscure films made on a minimum budget that I have sat and watched and been totally drawn into..if I mention them to people noone knows what I am talking about...Films like art is all about personal taste.

I have to say the one thing I do hate is the snobbery that goes along with certain films..telling people they must be BB fans because they cant sit through a film is nonsense..dont judge.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a fantastic film watched it numerous times.But if the OP wasnt impressed then so be it you cant force someone to like a film.For instance ive just seen Skyfall and thought it was pants nobody is going to change my mind on that.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Its a fantastic film watched it numerous times.But if the OP wasnt impressed then so be it you cant force someone to like a film.For instance ive just seen Skyfall and thought it was pants nobody is going to change my mind on that.

I admit to not seeing any of the Bond movies with Daniel Craig in..in fact the only Bond movie I can sit through more than once is Live and Let Die and thats only because I love the song..I am a child of 60s and the main Bond of my era was Roger Moore so Bond movies to me are a bit more humour and tongue in cheek than the big action movies they are today..will have to give the Daniel Craig ones a go to see if they change my mind..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    So because you don't see why it's rated so highly you like to wind people up who are passionate about it?

Says more about you than it does the people who love it.

Why yes Miss Dexter, yes I do. It's because some people get so wound up about the fact that someone doesn't rate something that they do.

I find it contrived. So what does that say about me? And what does your user name say about you? Since you brought up the subject of what something so small can possibly "say something" about someone.

ps. ;)
  • Options
    Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    << (If the shawshank redemtion is not the greatest film ever then what is>) >>

<Why should that matter? >

Because if as person starts rubbishing other peoples' opinions they should be prepared to give their own.

You see it is my experience that those that affect superiority to others by sneering at their choices are inadequate people who are cowards. But of course they are welcome to prove me wrong by actually suddenly change their ways and give a positive opinion abouit something.

Notice in fact how cowardly it is to say that a thing is not the greatest ever. It is just the safest possible thing because it is impossibe to disagree with.

Blimey , you need to get off you're high horse ........

He only said it wasn't the best film ever , hardly an opinion that warrants that sort of response, very strange.

Shawshank wouldn't be in my top 10 but its still a real nice film .........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Who's to say what the best film ever is? Based on what criteria? If asking the ordinary man on the street, you would get thousands of differing responses, and could include anything from "Howard the Duck" to "The Godfather."

Nobody can say that Shawshank is the best ever, but nobody can say that it isn't, either.

For me, personally, I have no problem being told that it's rated as number 1, because I personally loved it. Red's "Hope speech" at the end never fails to bring tears to my eyes, and usually they spill over, and it leaves me with that feeling, of hope, I mean.

Also, as a Stephen King fan (and I was just discussing this last night, funnily enough,) this is one of the very rare examples of his work being translated perfectly on screen. Most of the adaptations from his books have been absolutely dire, in my opinion. But Shawshank, for me, was actually better than the story upon which it was based. Maybe it's because the novella wasn't a classic King horror/psychological thriller story, like the majority of his work is, where nothing can replace what your imagination comes up with when you're reading his books. But Shawshank was a simple story of hope & friendship, and in the right hands, it made movie magic.

And obviously, thousands of ordinary people agree, hence it's very high rating on imdb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Is The Shawshank Redemption overrated? In a word: No.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wondered, how did Andy know that pipe was open at the other end? What if he crawled that far out and then discovered there was a grate on the end of it? What would he have done then?
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overrated is such a meaningless term now. Every film that's liked is considered overrated by someone.
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overrated in that while I like it and think it's good (I'd watch it if it were on tv) it would never make my top 10 films. It's no masterpiece in my mind, I'd rate Pulp Fiction, Godfather 1/2, Fight Club, Indiana Jones (1-3), Planet of the Apes (original) and Back to the Future miles above it just of the top of my head.