Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the remastered show?

Yes, that is the one that I previously downloaded. I notice that another version has appeared since the start of the year too. But the one I have is the remastered version, which I'm guessing is superior to the added version, which I suppose sounds more like pure medium wave throughout as a guess without having heard it. I'm sure the remastered version is best for iPod/mp3 users.

Must admit I was surprised Simon Bates was doing the Radio 1 Chart show as early as the summer of 1978 when I discovered this chart show of his. A good one though. Plenty of other treats on there too. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    You've got to have a password!

No flipping chance.

I've got no interest in offshore radio.

Since when was Radio 1 offshore radio Westy? :confused:

I see that Apprentice has given you the password you needed, which I'd forgotten about. You could have guessed it I think! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Great song - and I remember the Legs & Co routine with the giant banana haha.

Thankfully Legs & Co were doing that routine with the banana waving to Supernature and not the shows opening track by Boney M. That could have been a "Love Thy Neighbour" kind of moment otherwise. Even in 1978 that might have raised a few eyebrows I'd hazard a guess.

I could not tell if Noel really had been to Afghanistan or was joking. He sounded genuine. This was still over a year from the Soviet invasion, so I guess that the place was a little mentioned backwater in 1978, but not for much longer. Noel still makes all these cringey little jokes like on TOTP to this very day on DOND. I can't help but like him, he's one of the few untainted people left from growing up. There would have been no Swap Shop on the Saturday morning following this edition, as it was summer, but can anyone recall what was showing on BBC1 on summer Saturday's during 1978 during Noel and Swap Shop's break? I've entirely forgotten.

I'm sure many will easily recall the Top Ten board on Swap Shop, with the swaps on it. When I first ever saw it, and for some time afterwards, I was always trying to work out if it was the No1 or the No10 track that was the biggest record. Learning my ups and downs was another I recall trying to master. Up 4 places from No6 to No2 (& not to No10) to a child is not logical! :p
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember what was on Saturday morning TV but I can remember what was on during the week - there was a rerun of the first ever series of Grange Hill which was the first time I managed to watch it as I hadn't bothered with it when it was first shown a few months earlier. And of course there was "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?" which seemed to turn up every school holiday.

I'm assuming that the likes of The Banana Splits was being shown too plus perhaps re-runs of The White Horses were still being shown as late as 1978. The theme tune to the UK English dubbed version of the programme, 'White Horses' sung by Jacky (also known as Jackie Lee) is one of my all time favourite childrens TV themes - it can actually make me teary eyed with nostalgia and she sings the song so beautifully. She also sang the theme tune to Rupert The Bear, another childhood favourite song of mine and probably another programme that was still being repeated in 1978 possibly along with Mr Benn, Trumpton, Chigley and Camberwick Green and probably the likes of Bagpuss as well as Captain Pugwash. She once sent me an email, I'd made a comment at youtube about absolutely loving the theme tune to White Horses and I didn't realise it was herself who had uploaded the video - she has her own channel at youtube. Next thing I got a lovely email from her thanking me for my comments!
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    How could Noel stop the airing of his episodes? He doesn't own the rights surely? :confused:

On the surface Noel Edmonds seems a nice guy - but there always seems to be some story about him being a right b******d behind the scenes! :eek:
    Well UK Gold never aired any of his episodes -it was only when einsfestival and BBC Four started reruning the programe that we got to see any shows hosted by noel (he must have had a good agent to stop his shows geting repeated on UK Gold)
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Yes, that is the one that I previously downloaded. I notice that another version has appeared since the start of the year too. But the one I have is the remastered version, which I'm guessing is superior to the added version, which I suppose sounds more like pure medium wave throughout as a guess without having heard it. I'm sure the remastered version is best for iPod/mp3 users.

Must admit I was surprised Simon Bates was doing the Radio 1 Chart show as early as the summer of 1978 when I discovered this chart show of his. A good one though. Plenty of other treats on there too. :)

I personally enjoy remastered versions, too. Weekend of 2nd April 78 was Simon's first show.
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    A lot of people think PT was cleared but in fact he accepted a caution and was placed on the Sex Offenders Register for 5 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Townshend#Operation_Ore_investigation_and_police_caution

The caution caused him to have problems at one stage with getting a visa to enter the US and when The Who played at the Superbowl in January 2010 there were a number of protests beforehand

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/pete_townshend_targeted_as_sex_offender_3BJDh6zHpMRuPy9pSFfnUL#ixzz0e7JQRdXY

I cannot believe those protests. How self-righteous can people get.:)

Townshend is one of the greats as the fact he was playing the superbowl proves.

A pity about the grainy video for Who Are You? It really is one of the Who's greatest songs. It is about an incident between Townshend and some punks--was it Sid Vicious?--that got a bit nasty. So it is about how the Who were Kings of the Castle and then suddenly there come along the new boys.

It also tells us something universal, that by the time a bloke reaches his mid thirties he is not part of the youth generation anymore. It happens suddenly and it is a shock.

The song is genius.:)
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Thankfully Legs & Co were doing that routine with the banana waving to Supernature

Are there any other Cerrone fans here, familiar with his other work, who thought "That ain't no ba-na-na" when seeing that part of the routine? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pngeysXQ7HM
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that info regarding the Who song Corriander, I didn't know that was it's meaning.
    My fave Who songs are Join Together and You Better You Bet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally enjoy remastered versions, too. Weekend of 2nd April 78 was Simon's first show.

In that case I am presuming he was a direct chart show replacement for Tom Browne, who had done his last Sunday evening show in March 1978?

Since the TOTP repeats began, I am only aware of having seen Tom Browne presenting one single edition, an early '77 one. A shame that, as I quite liked his delivery and style. Previously I knew next to nothing about him and had never heard his voice before either.

Some Radio 1 presenters seem to have presented literally just one or two editions. Johnny Walker comes to mind also. I'd love to know how the TOTP presenting roster worked and if some DJ's were not as keen on the TOTP gig as others, or even refused it even, or did it reluctantly. We should certainly feel very fortunate that they introduced 2 new DJ's on the presentation team in 1977, in Peter Powell and Kid Jensen, or we would have been in a very poor situation with the previous stalwarts of Savile & DLT on more shows than they infact are by 1978.

Pete Townshend, shown this week, which is fine by me. But he is a cautioned individual who was placed for a period on the offenders register. Yet DLT, simply an arrest/bail and no more at present, and remains in the shadows in limbo. The inconsistency is just not right.
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    Thanks for that info regarding the Who song Corriander, I didn't know that was it's meaning.

O, they are great songs too, but some of their songs have real meaning. No one got what being a bloke was like back then better than Townshend and he is brutally honest, yet sort of thoughtful and intellectual, but his songs were all sung via Daltrey who is a real alpha male, which gives them a unique power.:)

They both did good stuff solo, but together they were dynamite.:eek:

Townshend just got better and better, but once he lost the force of nature that was Keith Moon's drumming I think the Who had peaked.:)
    Forum Member
    In that case I am presuming he was a direct chart show replacement for Tom Browne, who had done his last Sunday evening show in March 1978?

Since the TOTP repeats began, I am only aware of having seen Tom Browne presenting one single edition, an early '77 one. A shame that, as I quite liked his delivery and style. Previously I knew next to nothing about him and had never heard his voice before.

Some Radio 1 presenters seem to have presented literally just one or two editions. Johnny Walker comes to mind also. I'd love to know how the TOTP presenting roster worked and if some DJ's were not as keen on the TOTP gig as others, or even refused it even, or did it reluctantly. We should certainly feel very fortunate that they introduced 2 new DJ's on the presentation team in 1977, in Peter Powell and Kid Jensen, or we would have been in a very poor situation with the previous stalwarts of Savile & DLT on more shows than they infact are by 1978.

Pete Townshend, shown this week, which is fine by me. But he is a cautioned individual who was placed for a period on the offenders register. Yet DLT, simply an arrest and no more, and remains in the shadows in limbo. The inconsistency is just not right.

It is interesting that by the 1980s John Peel had loosened up enough to become a presenter quite regularly. I have no idea if this had anything to do with his friendship with Kid Jensen. RIP John Peel; our popular culture is the lesser without you.:(
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »

It's not. The opening lines of Who Are You? come from Pete Townshend being woken in a Soho doorway by a policeman. There was no altercation with any punks. There's every suggestion, particularly from the man himself, that he was on good terms with some members of The Sex Pistols at the time.

http://www.thewho.net/linernotes/WhoAreYou.html

My favourite Who tracks are Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles and Baba O'Riley. I used to play dad's single of Pinball Wizard a lot as a kid. I would be in my bedroom, swinging my arm to the big guitar bit. Still do now.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    We should certainly feel very fortunate that they introduced 2 new DJ's on the presentation team in 1977, in Peter Powell and Kid Jensen, or we would have been in a very poor situation with the previous stalwarts of Savile & DLT on more shows than they infact are by 1978.

Plus Mike Read will be joining them in October - so we will have an extra name on the bill to balance out the DLT/Savile shows! ;)
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    My favourite Who tracks are Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles and Baba O'Riley. I used to play dad's single of Pinball Wizard a lot as a kid. I would be in my bedroom, swinging my arm to the big guitar bit. Still do now.

Good taste Little Girl - mine too!

Infact The Who are my favourite band of the 60's - better than The Stones AND The Beatles!! - They just had that energy which made them unbelievable to watch. Plus when the Rock Opera Tommy came along...that was just the icing on the cake! :)
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since the TOTP repeats began, I am only aware of having seen Tom Browne presenting one single edition, an early '77 one. A shame that, as I quite liked his delivery and style. Previously I knew next to nothing about him and had never heard his voice before either.

Pete Townshend, shown this week, which is fine by me. But he is a cautioned individual who was placed for a period on the offenders register. Yet DLT, simply an arrest/bail and no more at present, and remains in the shadows in limbo. The inconsistency is just not right.

Curious that the two presenters most associated with the chart at the time, Simon Bates (Sundays) and Paul Burnett (Tuesdays), never seem to present TOTP in 1978.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone who's been in the tabloids recently frightens TV stations, if they aren't in the news now they aren't frightened and they'll be more likely to show them.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not. The opening lines of Who Are You? come from Pete Townshend being woken in a Soho doorway by a policeman. There was no altercation with any punks. There's every suggestion, particularly from the man himself, that he was on good terms with some members of The Sex Pistols at the time.

http://www.thewho.net/linernotes/WhoAreYou.html.

Yeah the Sex Pistols had a lot of respect for Townshend. The Pistols covered several Who songs in their live repertoire particularly in their early days, including "Substitute" which was their only Who cover (as far as I'm aware) which made it onto vinyl.

Townshend was on good terms with Paul Cook and Steve Jones. Lydon probably not so much. He is said to have largely scorned the other members of the band when writing songs for trying to "rip off" Who riffs.
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Good taste Little Girl - mine too!

Infact The Who are my favourite band of the 60's - better than The Stones AND The Beatles!! - They just had that energy which made them unbelievable to watch. Plus when the Rock Opera Tommy came along...that was just the icing on the cake! :)

Ooh well I like all three bands, but I like a lot of 60s music in general. I remember having the afternoon off college and going to watch Quadrophenia when it was re-released in the 90s. It was an old school cinema that hadn't changed since the 60s so it felt like I was watching it first time round.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when the Rock Opera Tommy came along...that was just the icing on the cake! :)

'Now I'm your Uncle Ernie, and I'll do what I bleedin' well want too! Fiddle about! Fiddle about...!'

'I'm the school bully! I'm the classroom cheat....!'

Plus you had to love Elton John, in those big glasses and very very big Doc Martens!

Some good memories there!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Nick G wrote: »
    Curious that the two presenters most associated with the chart at the time, Simon Bates (Sundays) and Paul Burnett (Tuesdays), never seem to present TOTP in 1978.
    Paul Burnett crops up on the 21st September episode which I think is his last but one ever. He did a few episodes in 1974 (long since wiped), but bizarrely he only ever seemed to crop up once a year to present after that (bar 1975).
    Forum Member

http://www.thewho.net/linernotes/WhoAreYou.html

There is nothing in the link to an excellent site that goes against my interpretation of the song (although I could not see there the story about the Soho policeman the reference is obviously in the song). That experience may very well be part of what is meant, as few songwriters want one interpretation. Townshend says there that the song is about "the demands of new friendship". Well indeed he is befriending the new generation while suggesting "Who are you?" Because the Sex Pistols changed everything.

The Allen Klein story I had not seen before. He was not too popular, and of course the song could have been about him whatever Townshend says (it would not have been the first). Great site.
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Yeah the Sex Pistols had a lot of respect for Townshend. The Pistols covered several Who songs in their live repertoire particularly in their early days, including "Substitute" which was their only Who cover (as far as I'm aware) which made it onto vinyl.

Townshend was on good terms with Paul Cook and Steve Jones. Lydon probably not so much. He is said to have largely scorned the other members of the band when writing songs for trying to "rip off" Who riffs.

Yeh the younger Who definitely had a kind of attitude (smashing up guitars) not unlike the punks of my generation.:)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Browne hasnt been seen on any BBC FOUR repeats.

The only 'one offs' were Paul Burnett & Ed Stewart!
    Forum Member
    Paul Burnett crops up on the 21st September episode which I think is his last but one ever. He did a few episodes in 1974 (long since wiped), but bizarrely he only ever seemed to crop up once a year to present after that (bar 1975).

Great value for money as a DJ apparently. I am surprised he did not present more often. :)
This discussion has been closed.