Options

Benefits Britain, Life on the Dole - 9pm Channel 5 tonight..

Comments

• Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donnagee wrote: »
    Hate this programme it's not easy being unemployed

For most no but it's not exactly hard bringing in £2400 a month for sitting on your fat backside every day!
  • Options
    ErinnaErinna Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    More people living the high life. Free money, no work. No tax.

that is not the case for eveyone on benefits
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Time to be calm and open minded? :kitty:

open minded, that is asking alot of some people
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £2400!! My husband and I earn just less than that a month with a full and part time job and two children and we struggle but we have a nice home and healthy food. Doesn't matter how much benefits I would get I wouldn't want their lives, what a poor example to set for your children, after all its them you have got to feel sorry for
  • Options
    hiragoagainhiragoagain Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I am so jealous of the £2400 a month
    It makes me despair, it really does.
    Had to laugh at the mother saying her son with autism needed the iPad....I think some positive interaction in a good educational setting would be better love. I thought the kids were nice kids though, it's not their fault bless them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole area where they lived looked like Chernobyl and they lived in the ruins.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of them girls on next weeks show were on the previous series!!

The young girl kicking the back door use to have red hair and had a dog called Giro!

And her mate at the end sitting on the sofa with her man has a couple of sons if I remember rightly and her boyfriend was coming out of prison and she lost her son in a shopping centre!
  • Options
    brain_blessedbrain_blessed Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2946095/I-ve-no-choice-benefits-children-Woman-gets-nearly-29-000-year-welfare-payments-says-t-work-s-MOTHER.html

I saw this documentary last night. It was sad to see this ladies children having such a poor start in life. She recieves £2,400 a week in welfare payments but still chooses to live a squalid lifestyle.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2946095/I-ve-no-choice-benefits-children-Woman-gets-nearly-29-000-year-welfare-payments-says-t-work-s-MOTHER.html

I saw this documentary last night. It was sad to see this ladies children having such a poor start in life. She recieves £2,400 a week in welfare payments but still chooses to live a squalid lifestyle.

A month....not a week...
  • Options
    brain_blessedbrain_blessed Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    A month....not a week...

You are right. Apologies for that mistake.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [....but still chooses to live a squalid lifestyle.

She lives in a squalid area, but that's where the cheap properties are. I don't see anything "squalid" about her lifestyle, tbh.

The house is untidy and messy, but it's hard to keep a place tidy when it's cramped. And those Jaywick houses are built like portakabins, so it's hard to do anything to the property.

Jaywick should either be pulled down and rebuilt with "proper" houses or at least have massive investment. Why the council doesn't do something about the state of the roads there beats me. Nothing but potholes and mud when you look on street view.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1973222&page=58
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    £2400!! My husband and I earn just less than that a month with a full and part time job and two children and we struggle but we have a nice home and healthy food. Doesn't matter how much benefits I would get I wouldn't want their lives, what a poor example to set for your children, after all its them you have got to feel sorry for

It does seem a lot. Literally the take home pay of 2 full-time average jobs.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that really a woman? Don't half look like a bloke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The young girl kicking the back door use to have red hair and had a dog called Giro!

And her mate at the end sitting on the sofa with her man has a couple of sons if I remember rightly and her boyfriend was coming out of prison and she lost her son in a shopping centre!

I remember them. Didn't the one that used to have red hair have a son taken off her and she went on about getting a job and sorting herself out so she can get him back? Or was that someone else?
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem a lot. Literally the take home pay of 2 full-time average jobs.

Average wage is now about £26.5k. I reckon on that salary someone with the basic 1000L tax code would take home around £1,750-1,800.

Quite a bit less than 2 average salaries then.

Then there'd be the childcare costs if she went to work: I've no idea how much a nursery place for a young baby is in Jaywick, but round my way it's about £200-250 a week. And it would be very hard to find appropriate after-school care for an autistic child.

A fair bit of her income will be for her rent, and she can hardly be held responsible for the lack of affordable housing or rent levels in the private sector. I'd be surprised if her rent was less than £600 a month.

A good chunk of that will be her son's DLA, so not really her money at all. That is unlikely to be less than £54 a week, and could easily be more than £100.

There's no mention of her getting carer's allowance. If she isn't, she could get another £34.20 pw by claiming that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Average wage is now about £26.5k. I reckon on that salary someone with the basic 1000L tax code would take home around £1,750-1,800.

Quite a bit less than 2 average salaries then.

Then there'd be the childcare costs if she went to work: I've no idea how much a nursery place for a young baby is in Jaywick, but round my way it's about £200-250 a week. And it would be very hard to find appropriate after-school care for an autistic child.

A fair bit of her income will be for her rent, and she can hardly be held responsible for the lack of affordable housing or rent levels in the private sector. I'd be surprised if her rent was less than £600 a month.

A good chunk of that will be her son's DLA, so not really her money at all. That is unlikely to be less than £54 a week, and could easily be more than £100.

There's no mention of her getting carer's allowance. If she isn't, she could get another £34.20 pw by claiming that.

I doubt that the Clampetts will be paying hardly any housing costs.... they are just lazy, dirty, feckless morons who deserve bugger all except to have the kids taken into care where they might, just might break the cycle of deprevation.

Stop enabling these low lives to carry on with impunity, it's people like you who allow these people to perpetuate the situation.

Oh and btw..... I doubt whether there is any benefit available that they don't know how to claim. In triplicate.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    It's the style of talking of the commentator that gets on my tits.:-)
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    The whole area where they lived looked like Chernobyl and they lived in the ruins.
    It looks like the poorer areas of Detroit. :-(
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

And her mate at the end sitting on the sofa with her man has a couple of sons if I remember rightly and her boyfriend was coming out of prison and she lost her son in a shopping centre![/QUOTE]

It was the dog she lost in the shopping centre, it was at home waiting for her
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an unpleasant program designed to mock and provoke antagonism towards the less fortunate in society. Even the incidental music they use is chosen deliberately to portray what you're seeing as something to be laughed at. Unfortunately some are taken in by it.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shows a huge dog being allowed near to a baby on the floor, surely illegal why are they allowed to get away with that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was the dog she lost in the shopping centre, it was at home waiting for her

There was one where some girl was running around trying to find a kid that they had lost. He went back to the park I think.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these programmes seem to mesh together now. I'm sure I've seen that woman with the shaved hair on something before. She had a Dog, was an alcoholic, in prison most of the time and lived in high rise flats. Lots of mental health issues too.

I'm sure nobody thinks all people are like this on benefits. The people in the show agreed to be filmed so comments are fair game. Hopefully the club 18-30 episode next week will be a bit lighter.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me angry is the fact that their homes are like s**t holes inside. Piles of clothes, mess, broken stuff, food everywhere, rubbish and junk piled up outside.

I grew up in a council house years ago and some of the families up our road had 8 and 10 children. However,none of them lived in a mess like this Jaywick lot.

The difference is this lot have far too much in the way of benefits so they fill their houses with tat and can't be bothered to tidy up or clean. Friends I grew up with had almost nothing in their houses but their Mums kept what they did have clean and the doorsteps were washed down and the windows cleaned. They were really poor unlike today's families. Today they've all got laptops, big tellies, satellites, pedigree dogs, ****, booze, and that can't be right.

The kids I grew up with wore plimsoles all year round, some didn't even have a coat, they had glasses which were sellotaped together, they never had any PE kit at school, they had literally nothing. There were only 3 of us so we were slightly better off but my Mum used to fry up a big pan of chips when the kids were all sitting outside on the kerb and make little cones out of greaseproof and newspaper and take it to them. They never knew where their next meal was coming from. All their Dads were in very low paid work and they just didn't earn enough to support their families.

How they can go outside and see bags of rubbish and old junk piled up outside their houses is beyond me. However poor I was I just couldn't. :cry: