The Tories have won MORE seats than in 2010 - Exit poll

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    I am hoping that this is correct....

Could there be a shy Kipper effect - politically correct to say Tory but some went UKIP?
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    I am hoping that this is correct....

If I'd voted UKIP I'd tell the exit pollsters I'd voted Green, but that's just me ;-)
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    This election will show that he was foolish to bow to UKIP pressure for a referendum. My concern is Scotland now pulling out. The pro UK Scots might have been hoping for a Labour government. They've got a Tory led one again.
    Ironically if this exit poll turns out to be correct its perfection for the SNP - a landslide in Scotland and the big bad Tory's back in power in London without a single Scottish representative... it increases the possibility of a second referendum massively over then next decade.

A UK outside the EU and an Independent Scotland is inevitable IMO...
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YouGov tweeted they didn't do an exit poll.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Cameron will have twice failed to win a majority if true. I wouldn't be too triumphant if I was him!
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Could there be a shy Kipper effect - politically correct to say Tory but some went UKIP?

I think so. Given the anti-UKIP coverage, some may feel it's best to keep quiet about it. Plus the result for Houghton showed pretty strong support for UKIP.. Which could make life in the marginals somewhat unpredictable.
  • TanequilTanequil Posts: 367,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Conservative voter yet even I don't believe the poll to be correct. I will be surprised if the Conservatives get north of 280 seats
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I did not expect that, but very good news, if its true.

The Tories MIGHT have won more seats than in 2010, although it still means they will be 10 short of a majority and as the LDs on the SAME poll will be almost wiped out, who do you suppose will be going into coalition with the toxic Tories? after all, look qhat it's done for the yellows? Or is the exit poll only right when it's good for the Tories, but wrong when it comes to the coalition partners?

And the fact that Gove announced victory before ONE seat had declared (has to be a record) and has now back peddled may be significant
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    I think so. Given the anti-UKIP coverage, some may feel it's best to keep quiet about it. Plus the result for Houghton showed pretty strong support for UKIP.. Which could make life in the marginals somewhat unpredictable.

It does show that if Cons vote UKIP up north they can oust a few Labour MPs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    If I'd voted UKIP I'd tell the exit pollsters I'd voted Green, but that's just me ;-)
    They dont ask you, they give you a copy of a ballot paper and you stick it in a box
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the EXIT polls are right, then the poor, sick, vunerable and their carers want to be afraid, very afraid, and those that are happy about this better hope you don't get ill and if you do you can afford expensive private insurance as it'll be bye bye to the NHS. The wealthy will be pleased though as they will see their wealth increase and their accountants will be happy to help them avoid/evade the tax on it.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what the exit poll percentages were
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Tanequil wrote: »
    I'm a Conservative voter yet even I don't believe the poll to be correct. I will be surprised if the Conservatives get north of 280 seats
    The broadcasters face American style humiliation if their poll is wildly out. YouGov poll sounds more reasonable.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Ironically if this exit poll turns out to be correct its perfection for the SNP - a landslide in Scotland and the big bad Tory's back in power in London without a single Scottish representative... it increases the possibility of a second referendum massively over then next decade.

A UK outside the EU and an Independent Scotland is inevitable IMO...

please please please this must happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    please please please must this happen.
    All to play for now... could very well see a UK exit within this parliament.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All to play for now... could very well see a UK exit within this parliament.

Thank god for Nigel Farage. A referendum wouldn't be on the table if it wasn't for him.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    please please please this must happen.

Please please please this can't happen. A UK independent of the EU would be hell.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    The Tories MIGHT have won more seats than in 2010, although it still means they will be 10 short of a majority and as the LDs on the SAME poll will be almost wiped out, who do you suppose will be going into coalition with the toxic Tories? after all, look qhat it's done for the yellows? Or is the exit poll only right when it's good for the Tories, but wrong when it comes to the coalition partners?

And the fact that Gove announced victory before ONE seat had declared (has to be a record) and has now back peddled may be significant

I don't know why you are highlighting the word MIGHT, I said IF the EP was correct.

Let us see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A UK independent of the EU would be hell.

At least it would be sovereign again, and Marmite wouldn't be banned under the EU's Salt Reduction framework. Love Marmite? Vote UKIP.. next time :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please please please this can't happen. A UK independent of the EU would be hell.
    It would be one of the saddest days in the history of a peaceful Europe... and one of the biggest single catastrophe to hit the Irish economy since Independence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..and one of the biggest single catastrophe to hit the Irish economy since Independence.

Don't be so sure. Ireland may be due a large windfall-

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/trading-desk/apple-inc-faces-big-irish-tax-bill?__lsa=5801-bc25

In June 2014, the European Commission concluded that Apple’s tax structure may represent illegal state aid.

Hall estimates the potential recovery could be about US$19 billion, assuming a full Irish tax rate of 12.5 per cent is applied to approximately $153 billion of relevant Apple profits over 10 years.

And if that works, there are all the other companies that did the 'double Irish', Google, Microsoft etc etc..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I don't know why you are highlighting the word MIGHT, I said IF the EP was correct.

Let us see what happens.

Right you are, it's just that some would have us believe it's all over already.

interesting take on the exit poll,

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/heres-why-you-shouldnt-despair-over-that-exit-poll--ekwhpoOjeW
    If Thursday evening’s exit poll is anything to go by, we are set for another five years of a Conservative-led government.
    But before you despair, there is one caveat.

John Curtice, the psephologist that analysed the poll of more than 20,000 people for the BBC, ITV and Sky News, told Bloomberg this week the poll may be wrong due to the increased number of marginal seats and the rise of smaller parties.

“Unless the polls are wrong, this is the closest election in 40 years,” he said. “Once upon a time, you could concentrate on Conservative-Labour marginals, throw in a few Lib Dem seats and basically get it right. Until now you could ignore Scotland. You can’t ignore it any more.”
    Or, as Nate Silver puts it:

Exit polls have been highly accurate in every recent election except 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2010.
    — Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) June 6, 2012
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

I doubt it.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it would be sovereign again, and Marmite wouldn't be banned under the EU's Salt Reduction framework. Love Marmite? Vote UKIP.. next time :p

I despise Marmite. Therefore will never vote UKIP. Just another reason in a long list of them.
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

As far as I know the exit poll is an anonymous ballot so there is no logical reason for this.